Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

LS1 Throttle body

I need some advice. I do not feel I am getting the proper performance from my stock throttle body. I do not think the throttle is open all the way at WOT and I think with the mild mods I have it may be time to think about an upgrade. What is the deal with the coolant line, do I need that ? How big should I go with a mostly stock motor ? Do I need to reprogram my computer, it is going to Frost this week. what should I know about the swap.
    Thanks for the help. I am a rookie at this Chevy thing having been a Mopar guy most of my life.
    2002 Maro SS with SLP airbox, bellows, MAF, K&N, headers, 3" center exhaust, iridium plugs.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

what makes you think the TB is not working properly? To my knowledge the stock TB is good up to 500 HP. Alot of members port and polish their TB. they say it gives them a quicker response in acceleration. You don't need the coolant line so you can bypass it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I am a carb guy and this is just a gut feeling. I do feel the snap is crisp at WOT but I am always worried about the throttle stop not allowing true WOT. Too much time tuning Holley's and Deamon carbs I guess. So you feel I should stay with the 800cfm stock TB ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Like Jay said, a lot of us stay with a P&P stock TB, If you have/or are going to a FAST 102 then you need to consider going with a bigger TB.

You sluggishness might be from your MAF needing a cleaning.

Do you run a K&N type air filter? If so the oils are affecting the MAF. Get some MAF cleaner and clean it. I do mine monthly.

When you say mild mods, what are they?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I think you may be right on the MAF needing to be cleaned. I run a KN filter and the oil is an issue with some MAF, a 5 dollar can of cleaner may do the trick. I will not be replacing the LS6 manifold. Many people have already told me to stay with that unit because it is a solid piece and it makes HP. I am not going crazy with this car, I just want to kill some Stangs, Rice-Rockets and maby a Vette or two. Mods are mild and list above. Frost is doing a tune for me next week so they may be all I need. Thank you for all the help.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If your car is stored in the winter, you can bypass the throttlebody coolant line. If you drive during the winter, then you will need that coolant line connected.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'd add SFC's to your things to do. These cars need 'em even under stock power.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    If your car is stored in the winter, you can bypass the throttlebody coolant line. If you drive during the winter, then you will need that coolant line connected.
    Good point I forget about you guys with the snow.

Navy Blue Metallic

See I disagree. Engines perform better with cold dense air. What benefit running the coolant through the TB give?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    See I disagree. Engines perform better with cold dense air. What benefit running the coolant through the TB give?
    well i will think if it is freezing cold the TB will need to stay warm so it can move. but again I don't see snow...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have seen members on other forums ask if one would want their tb cable to snap from a frozen tb.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

No winter driving guys. This vehicle will be put away in November and brought out in April. No snow, no rain, no nothing unless it is bright and sunny. By the way, what are SFC's that Scott had had suggested.

Navy Blue Metallic

SFC's = Sub Frame Connectors 3 point are best, 2 points are very good as well.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    well i will think if it is freezing cold the TB will need to stay warm so it can move. but again I don't see snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I have seen members on other forums ask if one would want their tb cable to snap from a frozen tb.
    Ok I could see that. It's just not something me or Jay have to worry to much about.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Not much chance of the throttle cable snappin in winter without the coolant flowing through it. It flows throught the throttle body, not the cable. Ambient air under the hood is still nice and toasty in zero degree weather anyway.
    I guess if you hose down the throttle blade before you turn it off at night and let it freeze overnight that might be a problem.
    I have no problems with my TB or cable over the winter with the TB coolant line bypass. Maybe I'm lucky.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Ok I could see that. It's just not something me or Jay have to worry to much about.
    yup if it starts to snow here we are in big trouble. I can imagine all these Floridians trying to drive in snow icluding myself...
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    yup if it starts to snow here we are in big trouble. I can imagine all these Floridians trying to drive in snow icluding myself...
    hell, most floridians can't drive on dry roads let alone wet or.... show me the way to the bomb shelter....snow.
    '98 NBM T/A: TSP Headers, ORY, Flowmaster Exhaust, Freemods, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Poly mounts and Bushings, Swaybars, Upgraded T56, B&M Shifter, LED DRL/Turnsignals, MTI Lid, EGR Delete, MAF De-Screened, Polished TB, LS6 Intake, PCV Mod W/ catch can, UMI Torque Arm & 3-Point SFC.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    hell, most floridians can't drive on dry roads let alone wet or.... show me the way to the bomb shelter....snow.
    lol

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Come on you guys. You can drive on snow. It easier to make a u-turn. Power slides are possible in anything, and any f-body driver is ahead of the pack. (Angry drivers that can't pass you doing 20 in a 55 zone in a snowstorm.) I once had about 30 cars stuck behind me in the Z28 with summer racing tires in about 2 inches of snow.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Come on you guys. You can drive on snow. It easier to make a u-turn. Power slides are possible in anything, and any f-body driver is ahead of the pack. (Angry drivers that can't pass you doing 20 in a 55 zone in a snowstorm.) I once had about 30 cars stuck behind me in the Z28 with summer racing tires in about 2 inches of snow.
    oh, I can drive in snow, I lived in upstate NY for years while owning 2x '86 V6 camaros, a '87 TA and a '95 Z28. I just don't want to experience the nightmare of floridians trying to do the same, I've seen more roll over accidents in florida rain than I've seen fender benders in a NY snowstorm. No cell phone laws, average age of 65, no state vehicle safety inspection, no idea what a turn signal is for, no common sence to get out of the fast lane when doing 10mph under the speed limit, won't turn on headlights in a driving downpour, and a special ability to wait until after a turn to realize they are in the wrong lane but too stupid to wait and pass and figure a way back they just turn stright across traffic, oh and the NECESSITY to slam on the breaks when they see a cap or accident and rubberneck. (I'm not bitter, just experienced) Riding a motorcycle around some of these idiots had really taken a lot of the joy of biking out of it for me...Hmm My ZX10R is worth about as much as a Procharger Kit....

Thread Information