Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LS1 Throttle body

This is a discussion on LS1 Throttle body within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey, since I am new to this. Does anyone know if I need the screen on the tb. Will it ...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Hey, since I am new to this. Does anyone know if I need the screen on the tb. Will it help airflow? Does it block stuff that gets past the airfilter ? How often should I clean my maf ?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Hey, since I am new to this. Does anyone know if I need the screen on the tb. Will it help airflow? Does it block stuff that gets past the airfilter ? How often should I clean my maf ?
    Do you mean the screen on the maf? The TB doesn't have a screen. You don't need the screen on the maf, many jump on the band wagon and say you do but in my experience you don't (but you probably should have the pcm tuned for it). The real reason for the screen is to straighten out airflow, not to prevent debris from entering the intake, as that is the air filter's job.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Thanks Will. My PCM is going to Frost on Monday so I am going to tell him about that mod. I have anothe rquestion. My car has SLP headers that came with it as a dealer installed option. I have am EGR tube on the passenger tube welded to the front tube. What is your opinion of the need for the EGR system. Remember, my pcm is going to be tuned this week. Also, I live in NJ and we have 24 month inspection, mine just passed and I do not need to go again until 7/13.

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Not much chance of the throttle cable snappin in winter without the coolant flowing through it. It flows throught the throttle body, not the cable. Ambient air under the hood is still nice and toasty in zero degree weather anyway.
    I guess if you hose down the throttle blade before you turn it off at night and let it freeze overnight that might be a problem.
    I have no problems with my TB or cable over the winter with the TB coolant line bypass. Maybe I'm lucky.
    The problem is not with ambient air temp but with frosting caused by the pressure drop across the throttle body as air flows through it. If you have any experience with refrigeration or how air flows over a wing, you will Know what I'm talking about. That is the reason the coolant is run through the body.
    I do agree that if you only plan to use your car in warm weather there should not be a problem but there is no real advantage to removing the coolant line.

Ray Charles blue

He is running the SLP MAF as well, at least that is what I thought his first post said. I would ditch that and run a stocker. Seen a few guys have issues with those.

If you can try to throw a stock one on (clean it first) and see if that clears up the issue. I am not a fan of the SLP stuff other than perhaps the lids/CAI.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have a stock piece given to me by a friend who went to a Granetelli unit. I will put it in on Monday and let you know how it runs. Any thoughts on the EGR issue ?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    oh, I can drive in snow, I lived in upstate NY for years while owning 2x '86 V6 camaros, a '87 TA and a '95 Z28. I just don't want to experience the nightmare of floridians trying to do the same, I've seen more roll over accidents in florida rain than I've seen fender benders in a NY snowstorm. No cell phone laws, average age of 65, no state vehicle safety inspection, no idea what a turn signal is for, no common sence to get out of the fast lane when doing 10mph under the speed limit, won't turn on headlights in a driving downpour, and a special ability to wait until after a turn to realize they are in the wrong lane but too stupid to wait and pass and figure a way back they just turn stright across traffic, oh and the NECESSITY to slam on the breaks when they see a cap or accident and rubberneck. (I'm not bitter, just experienced) Riding a motorcycle around some of these idiots had really taken a lot of the joy of biking out of it for me...Hmm My ZX10R is worth about as much as a Procharger Kit....
    Funny. It sounds like you describing ohio drivers.

Ray Charles blue

Is it a stumble at idle and when you are just cruising? I know my Jeep is throwing a code once in a while for it. Under full throttle or anything other than granny style acceleration it is bypassed on my Jeep and it runs fine. However, its clogged pretty much and sometimes when it is cruising at under 2k it has a hesitation/jumpy action that almost seems like the engine is dying. However, it wont....lol

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I put the stock MAF in and sprayed it with cleaner before installation. The sucker runs great. Thanks for the tip.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information