ls1 swap

This is a discussion on ls1 swap within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; help i have a 95 camaro everyones saying the lt1 is lazy and a poor investment what would it take ...

pewter

ls1 swap

help i have a 95 camaro everyones saying the lt1 is lazy and a poor investment what would it take to convert to a ls1 i heard to find a 6.0 out of a chevy truck and take the wiring and the computer. can you convert a lt1 to 0bd2my goal is a 11sec toy

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

You can do the swap, but you will probably have to do some custom modding. To be honest with you, Time and moneywise you are much better off building a LT1 383 Stroker engine and reprogramming the ECM with the mods you have done. You will get done much quicker and it will cost you less.

HOT RED!!
    1994 Firebird

i plan on doing the swap next year after i finish my full T/A conversion on my 94 v6 3.4 Firebird also, however ive been looking on ebay for ls1+6sp tranny they go around 2grand or more...

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

Just so you know, if you plan on converting a V6 instead of the V8(LT1) to a LS1 setup you will have to spend a lot more money converting other items that you wouldn't necessarily have to change on the LT1 initially. The suspension, kmember, etc are different on V6's than on V8's. You would be better off just buying an LS1 car in that particular case unless you just want a project to do. Good Luck!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

there is nothing wrong with the LT1... infact parts for it are cheaper... my only gripe about the LT1 is the stupid opti spark junk... other than that it's a awesome engine... the opti spark is an ingenious concept just poorly implimented...

I Love High-Explosives! TheChad1371's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I am all about project cars. But to me doing a v6 swap to ls1 v8 isn't wise financially, and time wise. You can find ls1 f-bodies out there for a decent buck. Good luck whatever you choose.
    "United We Stand, Divided We Fall."

HOT RED!!
    1994 Firebird

thanks guys, but im gonna go through with it.. already finished the body conversion and now wanting more power under the hood, and im sentamentaly not willing to trade for another one.. God i love my baby bird lol

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

if you are hell bent on it then here ya go http://tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

LS1 Swap for LT1 Firebirds

I have been working on my 96 TA WS6(LT1) for about 2 years, when I can, to convert it to a LS1. I have finally completed the wiring. All I have left is to pull the dash and replace the evaporator with the LS1 evap so that the AC system is completely converted to LS1 components. Really, if you are mechanically inclined, the whole swap is really not that hard. The most complicated or should I say time consuming part is the wiring. It took me numerous hours to view the wiring diagrams and schematics on both the 96 and the 02 LS1 to see what the differences were between the two. Most of the wiring systems are the same with some differences. Keep in mind that the 93 -97 LT1's will probably have some slight wiring differences between them depending on what each firebird has or doesnt have, such as traction control. I bought 96 GM Dealership manuals and a SI CD from another LS1 member to do my research. Initially I was going to intigrate the LT1 engine bay harness into the LS1 engine harness, but when I first started I didn't have all the info I do now, so I later decided to put a LS1 engine bay harness in(the one with the fuse blocks). However after starting on that project I realized that it was going to take more work to repin that setup than just using the LT1 engine bay harness. Actually after I finished the wiring I realized it wasn't all that complicated if you have the right info. In fact, I wanted my TA to pass emissions and I believe that it will. My OBDII port is operational and I have no codes. The LT1 engine bay harness(the fuse block) actually has all but two of the items I needed if I remember correctly, I finished it up before Christmas so my memory is a little sketchy unless I go back to my notes. Anyways, I personally feel if you are willing to do the research and the wiring yourself, than you will save a lot of money using the LT1 components rather than a standalone harness. For your V6 I would purchase all LS1 components from a salvage yard so you don't have too many things to rewire, but if anyone already has a LT1 they are wanting to convert to LS1 than stay with your LT1 fuse block since really it is already standalone in a sense along with the LS1 engine harness which is too.

Anyone that needs help can contact me and I will guide you in the right direction. Keep in mind there is more than one way to do a LS1 swap. It all depends on your time and money as far as which way you go.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add that when you do the wiring yourself, make sure that you keep in mind the wiring gauge and fuse sizes that are used, you may have to change a few things in order for everything to work properly.
    Last edited by Snakes4; 02-12-2010 at 07:25 AM.

Thread Information