LS1 oil leak

This is a discussion on LS1 oil leak within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 383 LS1 and 5 speed in my 1964 vette. My problem is some kind of oil leak ...

silver blue
    1964 corvette

LS1 oil leak

I have a 383 LS1 and 5 speed in my 1964 vette. My problem is some kind of oil leak at the rear of the engine. I have had the flywheel off before and the back of the motor behind the scattershield plate is dry as a bone. I even changed the rear main once. This engine only has about 1000 miles on it. but have ruined one clutch and am on my way to ruining another new twin disc. The only way I could see that the oil could get there was maybe thru the flywheel bolts? Is that a possibility, seepage. I am out of ideas. It has maybe 30 miles on it since it was cleaned and the twin disc put in,and already the inside of the scattershield is oily. HELP!
    Last edited by blue1964vette; 06-11-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blue1964vette View Post
    I have a 383 LS1 and 5 speed in my 1964 vette. My problem is some kind of oil leak at the rear of the engine. I have had the flywheel off before and the back of the motor behind the scattershield plate is dry as a bone. I even changed the rear main once. This engine only has about 1000 miles on it. but have ruined one clutch and am on my way to ruining another new twin disc. The only way I could see that the oil could get there was maybe thru the flywheel bolts? Is that a possibility, seepage. I am out of ideas. It has maybe 30 miles on it since it was cleaned and the twin disc put in,and already the inside of the scattershield is oily. HELP!
    you already changed rear main that would be my first guess , how about input seal to your tranny it could be leaking if your engine is not. Oil should not come through flywheel bolts they go straight into crankshaft. Good luck
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-11-2008 at 07:47 PM.

silver blue
    1964 corvette

I know the flywheel bolts go directly into the crank (eagle) but they look like they are not blind bored and are open on the interior side, just wondered.
    Thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my guess would be that if it's in your bellhousing there's just not a lot of options back there for the oil to be coming from. Is it spraying onto the outside of the bellhousing at all or is it coming through the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing? That rear main can be tricky if not done right. There's a special tool that's pretty expensive made for replacing that seal although I've read where tons of people did it without the tool. If that seal wasn't straight going on there I'd say it's probably shot too. Just opinion.

silver blue
    1964 corvette

it doesn't appear to be on the outside of the bellhousing, only on the inside. I agree its pretty limited on the oil leak possibilities. It also didn't look like a main leak the first time but I changed it anyway just because. It seems so odd that the main is basically behind the scattershield plate and there is no oil on that side or on the block. just in the clutch area and tossed around on the inside of the bellhousing. The trans is a new TKO 600 from Keisler and doesn't appear to be leaking.
    Thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

On top all the way in the back is your oil pressure sensor....many leak there and it runs down the back of the block....

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i would also have guessed rear main.... but if you already had that done and are confident about it i would take Sarge's tip. he seems to be the oil guru around here.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    On top all the way in the back is your oil pressure sensor....many leak there and it runs down the back of the block....
    I had kind of first thought of this but if he's not seeing oil down the back of the motor that made me think it's not the pressure sender. Still could be I guess. If it were me I would probably clean everything up back there and take a short drive and tear it all back down and see if you can zero in on the source. Good luck either way, wish I could've been more help. Post back up with any progress you make as it may help other people down the road.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

When you had the tranny out did you check crankshaft endplay? If it is moving front to back when you use the clutch it could be getting by the rear main. How is the pan gasket?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've seen many very weird leaks before. If you think it might be coming through the flywheel bolts then try sealing them up with RTV or teflon tape on the threads. It can't hurt.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

if you still cant find it just do as orion said, clean it up, drive it for a bit, and then bring her back and take another look.

NBM
    1998Z28

I've seen where people tighten the horizontal bolts on the back of the oil pan before then tightened all the vertical oil pan bolts and it wouldn't let the back of the oil pan seal correctly and cause a leak.
    Last edited by PFM; 06-13-2008 at 06:43 AM. Reason: 111
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    I've seen where people tighten the horizontal bolts on the back of the oil pan before then tightened all the vertical oil pan bolts and it wouldn't let the back of the oil pan seal correctly and cause a leak.
    it can happen, but from what he is saying the leak is higher up than the pan, or at least it sounds that way to me.

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

i have what sounds like the same problem, thorught it was the rear main, replaced it and still leaking. i cleaned it all up, drove it around, took it back apart, and no leak......untill i left the shop, then back to leaking. WTF???

black
    01 SS

same exact problem here, i just replaced my oil pressure sensor, cuz i broke the old one doing a head swap and now its leaking, and its a good leak as well, so i pulled the intake back off, looked at the oil pressure sensor, and didnt seem to be leaking to me, but i think that is where its coming from, i might just wait until monday and pull it all back off and teflon the threads to the sensor, and hope that will fix my problem

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

Two things that I was thinking. 1) A freind of mine built a 355 sbc about 4 years ago.
    He use an eagle crank, rods, etc. When he put the crank in and tightened the mains down the crank wouldn't rotate (he didn't check even with plasticgage at the minimum, which is dumb) but... I measured thew crank w/ micrometers and the middle of the journal was .0015 larger than what is should have been. But the real problem was grinding wheel breakdown towards both adjacent crank throws, and that measurement was big by .005 on the diameter. Did you check the diameter of the crank where the main seal comes into contact? If ground too small, seal might not work properly. 2) Good pcv system? The best seals and gaskets will leak with the crankcase pressurized. Just my .02. Good luck. John

Ever think the oil gallery plug in the back of the crank might be leaking? These cranks are drilled and plugged from what i understand and sometimes that press in plug can leak if it was damaged during a pilot bearing removal or install.The leak would put engine oil directly onto the input shaft and clutch disk.

read this thread 2002 ls1 Crank Freeze plug P/N
    Last edited by 99RTA; 07-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

This guy hasnt logged in since 06-11-2008 11:11 PM.

Its either fixed or blown

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post

great observation

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post

I don't care i'm wearing underwear!

Thread Information