Thread: LS1 noise?

black
    2000 camaro z28

LS1 noise?

just bought this camaro 2000, and wondering if this engine sounds normal? it has 105k on it.

my first oil change i noticed really fine grey colored metal flake on my oil plug magnet enough to cover my pinky finger nail completely, so i flushed the system with cheap shell oil now all the flake gone, and now im using 10w40 valvoline HM + lucas additive.
    Last edited by rafael707; 06-26-2012 at 04:29 PM.

blue
    2001 trans am

m6 or auto, if its m6 could be pushrods, mine sounds similar though has sense i bought it, never skipped a beat. i used some marvel mystery oil in my crank it seemed to help.

Are their any mods to the car? She does have a tap to her. Does she vibrate at all?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

top sounds normal to me but I'm hearing it through computer speakers. A little tapping noise kinda like a sewing machine is normal for LS1's. It could be a slightly bent rod if the previous owner dogged it out with too man high revs.

Bottom side of the car - It's hard to tell, sounds like a clogged CAT to exhaust leak. Like I said hard to hear it

When you rev up does it get louder? stronger?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Hard to tell. you may have worn some of the lead off one of the bearings. Could be a worn main or rod bearing. I hope I'm wrong.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

Could be a exhaust leak, bent push rod, or broken spring, hard to tell listening to is from a video.
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by lipsasaurus View Post
    m6 or auto, if its m6 could be pushrods, mine sounds similar though has sense i bought it, never skipped a beat. i used some marvel mystery oil in my crank it seemed to help.
    M6, how much marvel oil you use?

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmdave View Post
    Are their any mods to the car? She does have a tap to her. Does she vibrate at all?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    my car is stock, i might have flow masters, my headers are stock. i do have a fuel pressure unit that connects to my fuel rail, i dont know why the previous owners had that for...

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    top sounds normal to me but I'm hearing it through computer speakers. A little tapping noise kinda like a sewing machine is normal for LS1's. It could be a slightly bent rod if the previous owner dogged it out with too man high revs.

Bottom side of the car - It's hard to tell, sounds like a clogged CAT to exhaust leak. Like I said hard to hear it

When you rev up does it get louder? stronger?

i recently put a exhaust bandaide for the leak, and for the most part there is no exhaust leak, i need to upload another video showing it

- - - Updated - - -

thanks everyone for the input, i deeply appreciate it, i will try to upload a more hi-def vid sooon..

blue
    2001 trans am

in oil i use 1 qt in place of oil like it says, in gas, i usually put X2 the dose the first time then 1.5X at each fill up. Oh i did upload a video of mine a while back, its on a thread here mine was mainly an exhaust leak it stopped after my LT header install, maybe its just fate saying you need headers.

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by lipsasaurus View Post
    in oil i use 1 qt in place of oil like it says, in gas, i usually put X2 the dose the first time then 1.5X at each fill up. Oh i did upload a video of mine a while back, its on a thread here mine was mainly an exhaust leak it stopped after my LT header install, maybe its just fate saying you need headers.
    will the MMO thin out my 10W40? the reason i use that weight is because it seems to keep my pressure up. When my engine is fully warm, 5w30 would make my oil pressure sit at 20psi at idle and up to 40-50psi when i step on the gas.. temperature where im at is about 65-86 degrees so its pretty warm.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Did you find out what the noise was or are you still working on it ?

Thread Information