Thread: LS1 or LT1??

Red
    99 Z28

LS1 or LT1??

I am in a dilemma, I have had my eye set on a 98 Z28 with the LS1 in it for 7800, but today i found a 94 Z28 with the LT1 that i could get for a lil less than 5 grand. The 98 has about 74k while the 94 has 79k on it. The rest is the same with both, autos not t-tops ect. Now I dont know what to do. Should i take out a big loan for the 98 or take out like a grand for the 94. What im tryin to get at is, is the LT1 worth saving the couple grand. Can i get the power im looking for out of one of those

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The LT1 won't dissapoint you in performance. Make your choice based on money and preference in the other differences in the car. Many people don't care for the interior of 96 down. LS1s are just a bitchslap away for putting 400 HP to the ground if you plan on building it. I had an LT1 for 5 years and I just swapped out and got an LS1. I like both for their own reasons, but I think I prefer the LT1 in every way except for the optispark. My LT1 had 178,000 miles on it when I sold it recently and it is still running strong as hell with less than 1,000 dollars in engine repairs over the course of it's life

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I must point out that $1000 in engine repairs was driveway mechanicing, probably $2000 if done by a shop, but not bad for an abused Z28 with 178,000 on the ticker

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    I must point out that $1000 in engine repairs was driveway mechanicing, probably $2000 if done by a shop, but not bad for an abused Z28 with 178,000 on the ticker
    fuck yeah, duder!!! that's amazing...simply unheard of

some pros for the LT1 are that it's an Iron block Vs the LS1 aluminum, where it gets hot and stays hot longer, but it is less prone to overheating

If you're an engine guy, [tuning for track stuff] i think you should get the Lt1.
    If you're going for modern looks, and street stuff go for the Ls1

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by scott5
    I am in a dilemma, I have had my eye set on a 98 Z28 with the LS1 in it for 7800, but today i found a 94 Z28 with the LT1 that i could get for a lil less than 5 grand. The 98 has about 74k while the 94 has 79k on it. The rest is the same with both, autos not t-tops ect. Now I dont know what to do. Should i take out a big loan for the 98 or take out like a grand for the 94. What im tryin to get at is, is the LT1 worth saving the couple grand. Can i get the power im looking for out of one of those
    They're both awesome motors, but i'd say go for the 98...it's only 2800 more. I'm usually a little cautious of vehicles that are decently old with low miles...sometimes means it was in a accident and was sitting for some time. Get a car fax on both and check with the dealer and see if it was ever brought to them for accident repair.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'd go with the LS1, hands down. But since it would require you to take out a "big loan" to get it, I'd keep driving what you have now and save some more money so you can get an LS1 without the "big loan" to drag you down.

Good rule of thumb: Only take out "big loans" for necessities or non-depreciating assets. Remember, the borrower is always a servant to the lender.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that's some damn good advice...

Black
    99 SS

i think that its all personal preferance to me, the LT1 is the old school design, and mods for the LS1 are so much more expensive then the LT1

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

LS1. The heads on an LT1 are going to limit how much power you will get out of it. The headflow of an LS1 allows you to stick a medium sized cam and get some good gains out of it. Where as in an lt1 your looking at headwork to get the same kind of gains.

lee1rbc
    Like alot of people I have had both an LT1 and LS1, but it seems most of the people had the LT1 first and have switched to an LS1 car. For me it was three years ago going to the track and seeing a guy with a 99 T/A running 11.80s at 118 mph. I talked with him to see how he was running those times and found out he was all motor with slicks,stall,headers and a cam. And that was basically it! To me I was sold and when the time was right I switched to an LS1 .

Don't get me wrong the LT1 is a sweet motor and with a price tag of $2,800 less you could upgrade your LT1 to run low 13s.(cat back,stall, gears, headers, c-air.) Also I have noticed that when I had my LT1 it seemed every Mustang in town wanted a piece of me, and now with my LS1 they seem to avoid me .

It all depends on whats important to you, I think they both sound like a great deal.

Red
    99 Z28

Do the mods stay the same? For instance everything that they make for an LS1 do they have something that will compliment the LT1? Or do they make more mods for one than the other?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If you can afford it go LS1. Don't mess with that optispark anymore.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

4 cyl colorado

I bought a '99 T/A, A4 new but sold it after a couple years. I missed having a toy car almost instantly. I found a good deal on a '94 T/A, M6 and loved it until the water pump went out and took the Optispark with it. While replacing the Optispark I decided that I was getting back into the LS1 game. A month later an '02 WS6, M6 was available so I traded in the '94 and haven't looked back. The LT1 was plenty strong and a blast to drive but if you plan on modding you will get more bang for the buck from the LS1. Doing mods yourself will definitely cause less headaches if your modding an LS1.
    '73 Plain Jane Camaro, Gen III, T56
    '02 WS6, M6
    All gone but not forgotten

Thread Information