Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

LS1 and LS6 motors

i've heard from a few people that 2001-2002 F-bodies came witha LS6 intake and some came with an LS6 block as well however they were under different part number then the normal LS6 motors i was wondring if anyone knew the part numbers for the LS6 blocks and the intake manifold put in F-bodies for 2001-2002

i'm buying a 2002 WS6 and would really like to know thanks everyone

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
    i've heard from a few people that 2001-2002 F-bodies came witha LS6 intake and some came with an LS6 block as well however they were under different part number then the normal LS6 motors i was wondring if anyone knew the part numbers for the LS6 blocks and the intake manifold put in F-bodies for 2001-2002

if you look just behind the throttle body the LS1 intake has an EGR tube going down into it, the LS6 does not.
    they did use the LS6 block in some F-bodies with different casting numbers than the standard LS1 block, no difference in performance, just different numbers......the performance numbers came from the heads and cam not the block

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

ALL 01-02s had the ls6 intake. SOME had the ls6 blocks.

Just have to find the casting number to determine it.

Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    ALL 01-02s had the ls6 intake. SOME had the ls6 blocks.

Just have to find the casting number to determine it.

oh really alright well that got my question answered about the intake

any idea were i can get casting numbers from Google seems to be full of SHIT most of the time

The 01/02 cars that came with the LS6 block have 12561168.

Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    The 01/02 cars that came with the LS6 block have 12561168.
    dude your the fucken best best thank you exactly what i wanted!!!

anyone on the part number for the intake??

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    if you look just behind the throttle body the LS1 intake has an EGR tube going down into it, the LS6 does not.
    they did use the LS6 block in some F-bodies with different casting numbers than the standard LS1 block, no difference in performance, just different numbers......the performance numbers came from the heads and cam not the block
    different cooling routes in the block... other than that no advantages ona LS1...

Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    different cooling routes in the block... other than that no advantages ona LS1...
    so the only benefit to the LS6 is the 243 casting heads?? nothing different or special about the block as opposed to an LS1, what about compression??

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

so the only benefit to the LS6 is the 243 casting heads?? nothing different or special about the block as opposed to an LS1, what about compression??
    & cam.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The ls6 block is just a bit of a stronger block.

The internals and bolt ons give it it's power

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

I put and 02 WS6 motor and tranny in my truck and it has the LS6 block. I added Patriot 243 heads and an MTI cam and it really woke things up. Here's some old info that explains the differences.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls6/page3.htm

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Saying the LS6 block doesn't do shit over a LS1 block is straight retarded. Google can be your friend and search can be your friend but the LS6 makes more power. I have all the info but not accessible at the moment. Here is what I know off hand....

A: LS6 Block is stronger
    B: LS6 Block is slightly different color (Darker in color)
    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)
    D: LS6 block has 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block between the rod/crank webbing resulting in decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing.
    E: 15% of 2001's got the LS6 block, 25% of 2002 got the LS6 block
    F: LS6 block is made with different aluminum, which is why the color difference. Increases strength and weights less then LS1
    G: Power increase over LS1 is said to be between 5 - 15 rwhp depending on who you talk to.
    H: LS6 block has approximately 500 more usable RPM's due to the ventilation.
    I: LS6 uses a different casting process then the LS1 resulting in tighter tolerances all around.

Thats all I can remember off hand. YOU WANT THE LS6 if you can find it, far superior block. I was lucky enough to find out I had one when I pulled the Heads off to do my H/C.

Part number for LS6 intake off of F-Body is #12561184
    Part number for LS6 intake off of Z06 is #12573572
    Last edited by blackSS01; 03-05-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post
    I put and 02 WS6 motor and tranny in my truck and it has the LS6 block. I added Patriot 243 heads and an MTI cam and it really woke things up. Here's some old info that explains the differences.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls6/page3.htm
    SHIT, didn't even see this thread until I posted. Good info on there and a good read.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Saying the LS6 block doesn't do shit over a LS1 block is straight retarded. Google can be your friend and search can be your friend but the LS6 makes more power. I have all the info but not accessible at the moment. Here is what I know off hand....

C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)
    D: LS6 block has 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block between the rod/crank webbing resulting in decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing.
    F: LS6 block is made with different aluminum, which is why the color difference. Increases strength and weights less then LS1
    G: Power increase over LS1 is said to be between 5 - 15 rwhp depending on who you talk to.
    I: LS6 uses a different casting process then the LS1 resulting in tighter tolerances all around.

Thats all I can remember off hand. YOU WANT THE LS6 if you can find it, far superior block. I was lucky enough to find out I had one when I pulled the Heads off to do my H/C.

Agree with you on everything except the RPM's. Always heard and read that it was more like 700-800. I know it's not big, just clearing things up from my understanding. Also on a side note, we'll have to get a small gathering together this summer.

White
    2001 Ws6

were do i find the casting numbers on the block?
    Patriot Stage 2 heads cam 228.228.581.581. 112 lsa, lts ory Magnaflow cat back, maf,full tune, LS7 Cluch w/ LS2 Flywheel,Pro 5.0,Slotted/Drilled Rotors,Subframe Connectors,Strut Tower Brace,panhard bar,lower control arms, 4.10 gear.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

And this summer would be great Adam3566. Only prob is my car may not be totally done by then. Doing H/C/rearend/clutch/shocks BUT.....Wouldn't mind riding in your Turbo T/A or the meaty C6 I am really hoping I can get it done so I can make a Byron trip and see how she runs.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

HOLY FUCK....A first ever in LS1.com history. The last three post are all from WI guys.

hugger orange

damn I didn't know they were that different.
    I swear the more I learn more I find I don't know

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good info... now I have to get my mirror and flashlight out!

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

And this summer would be great Adam3566. Only prob is my car may not be totally done by then. Doing H/C/rearend/clutch/shocks BUT.....Wouldn't mind riding in your Turbo T/A or the meaty C6 I am really hoping I can get it done so I can make a Byron trip and see how she runs.
    T/A's gone, plan on getting a Chevelle, or older muscle this summer. Keeping the vette for sure. But would deffinitly give you a ride in the vette anytime. Sounds like your going to have one hell of a ride when your done! Boost maybe???? You know you want to!

Thread Information