Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

LS1 and LS6 motors

This is a discussion on LS1 and LS6 motors within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i've heard from a few people that 2001-2002 F-bodies came witha LS6 intake and some came with an LS6 block ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Roswell
    Posts
    108

    Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

    LS1 and LS6 motors

    i've heard from a few people that 2001-2002 F-bodies came witha LS6 intake and some came with an LS6 block as well however they were under different part number then the normal LS6 motors i was wondring if anyone knew the part numbers for the LS6 blocks and the intake manifold put in F-bodies for 2001-2002

    i'm buying a 2002 WS6 and would really like to know thanks everyone

  2. #2
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
    i've heard from a few people that 2001-2002 F-bodies came witha LS6 intake and some came with an LS6 block as well however they were under different part number then the normal LS6 motors i was wondring if anyone knew the part numbers for the LS6 blocks and the intake manifold put in F-bodies for 2001-2002

    i'm buying a 2002 WS6 and would really like to know thanks everyone
    if you look just behind the throttle body the LS1 intake has an EGR tube going down into it, the LS6 does not.
    they did use the LS6 block in some F-bodies with different casting numbers than the standard LS1 block, no difference in performance, just different numbers......the performance numbers came from the heads and cam not the block

  3. #3
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
    i've heard from a few people that 2001-2002 F-bodies came witha LS6 intake and some came with an LS6 block as well however they were under different part number then the normal LS6 motors i was wondring if anyone knew the part numbers for the LS6 blocks and the intake manifold put in F-bodies for 2001-2002

    i'm buying a 2002 WS6 and would really like to know thanks everyone
    ALL 01-02s had the ls6 intake. SOME had the ls6 blocks.

    Just have to find the casting number to determine it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Roswell
    Posts
    108

    Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    ALL 01-02s had the ls6 intake. SOME had the ls6 blocks.

    Just have to find the casting number to determine it.

    oh really alright well that got my question answered about the intake

    any idea were i can get casting numbers from Google seems to be full of SHIT most of the time

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    The 01/02 cars that came with the LS6 block have 12561168.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Roswell
    Posts
    108

    Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    The 01/02 cars that came with the LS6 block have 12561168.
    dude your the fucken best best thank you exactly what i wanted!!!


    anyone on the part number for the intake??

  7. #7
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    if you look just behind the throttle body the LS1 intake has an EGR tube going down into it, the LS6 does not.
    they did use the LS6 block in some F-bodies with different casting numbers than the standard LS1 block, no difference in performance, just different numbers......the performance numbers came from the heads and cam not the block
    different cooling routes in the block... other than that no advantages ona LS1...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Roswell
    Posts
    108

    Black
    1998 TransAm convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    different cooling routes in the block... other than that no advantages ona LS1...
    so the only benefit to the LS6 is the 243 casting heads?? nothing different or special about the block as opposed to an LS1, what about compression??

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    54
    Posts
    464

    BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
    so the only benefit to the LS6 is the 243 casting heads?? nothing different or special about the block as opposed to an LS1, what about compression??
    & cam.

  10. #10
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    The ls6 block is just a bit of a stronger block.

    The internals and bolt ons give it it's power

  11. #11
    Member Nitrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    191

    White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

    I put and 02 WS6 motor and tranny in my truck and it has the LS6 block. I added Patriot 243 heads and an MTI cam and it really woke things up. Here's some old info that explains the differences.

    http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls6/page3.htm

  12. #12
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Saying the LS6 block doesn't do shit over a LS1 block is straight retarded. Google can be your friend and search can be your friend but the LS6 makes more power. I have all the info but not accessible at the moment. Here is what I know off hand....

    A: LS6 Block is stronger
    B: LS6 Block is slightly different color (Darker in color)
    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)
    D: LS6 block has 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block between the rod/crank webbing resulting in decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing.
    E: 15% of 2001's got the LS6 block, 25% of 2002 got the LS6 block
    F: LS6 block is made with different aluminum, which is why the color difference. Increases strength and weights less then LS1
    G: Power increase over LS1 is said to be between 5 - 15 rwhp depending on who you talk to.
    H: LS6 block has approximately 500 more usable RPM's due to the ventilation.
    I: LS6 uses a different casting process then the LS1 resulting in tighter tolerances all around.

    Thats all I can remember off hand. YOU WANT THE LS6 if you can find it, far superior block. I was lucky enough to find out I had one when I pulled the Heads off to do my H/C.

    Part number for LS6 intake off of F-Body is #12561184
    Part number for LS6 intake off of Z06 is #12573572
    Last edited by blackSS01; 03-05-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  13. #13
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post
    I put and 02 WS6 motor and tranny in my truck and it has the LS6 block. I added Patriot 243 heads and an MTI cam and it really woke things up. Here's some old info that explains the differences.

    http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls6/page3.htm
    SHIT, didn't even see this thread until I posted. Good info on there and a good read.

  14. #14
    Member adam3566's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Janesville,Wisconsin
    Posts
    880

    black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Saying the LS6 block doesn't do shit over a LS1 block is straight retarded. Google can be your friend and search can be your friend but the LS6 makes more power. I have all the info but not accessible at the moment. Here is what I know off hand....

    A: LS6 Block is stronger
    B: LS6 Block is slightly different color (Darker in color)
    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)
    D: LS6 block has 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block between the rod/crank webbing resulting in decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing.
    E: 15% of 2001's got the LS6 block, 25% of 2002 got the LS6 block
    F: LS6 block is made with different aluminum, which is why the color difference. Increases strength and weights less then LS1
    G: Power increase over LS1 is said to be between 5 - 15 rwhp depending on who you talk to.
    H: LS6 block has approximately 500 more usable RPM's due to the ventilation.
    I: LS6 uses a different casting process then the LS1 resulting in tighter tolerances all around.

    Thats all I can remember off hand. YOU WANT THE LS6 if you can find it, far superior block. I was lucky enough to find out I had one when I pulled the Heads off to do my H/C.

    Part number for LS6 intake off of F-Body is #12561184
    Part number for LS6 intake off of Z06 is #12573572
    Agree with you on everything except the RPM's. Always heard and read that it was more like 700-800. I know it's not big, just clearing things up from my understanding. Also on a side note, we'll have to get a small gathering together this summer.

  15. #15
    Junior Member Adam_WS6_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    84

    White
    2001 Ws6

    were do i find the casting numbers on the block?
    Patriot Stage 2 heads cam 228.228.581.581. 112 lsa, lts ory Magnaflow cat back, maf,full tune, LS7 Cluch w/ LS2 Flywheel,Pro 5.0,Slotted/Drilled Rotors,Subframe Connectors,Strut Tower Brace,panhard bar,lower control arms, 4.10 gear.

  16. #16
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)


    And this summer would be great Adam3566. Only prob is my car may not be totally done by then. Doing H/C/rearend/clutch/shocks BUT.....Wouldn't mind riding in your Turbo T/A or the meaty C6 I am really hoping I can get it done so I can make a Byron trip and see how she runs.

  17. #17
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    HOLY FUCK....A first ever in LS1.com history. The last three post are all from WI guys.

  18. #18
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Saying the LS6 block doesn't do shit over a LS1 block is straight retarded. Google can be your friend and search can be your friend but the LS6 makes more power. I have all the info but not accessible at the moment. Here is what I know off hand....

    A: LS6 Block is stronger
    B: LS6 Block is slightly different color (Darker in color)
    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)
    D: LS6 block has 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block between the rod/crank webbing resulting in decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing.
    E: 15% of 2001's got the LS6 block, 25% of 2002 got the LS6 block
    F: LS6 block is made with different aluminum, which is why the color difference. Increases strength and weights less then LS1
    G: Power increase over LS1 is said to be between 5 - 15 rwhp depending on who you talk to.
    H: LS6 block has approximately 500 more usable RPM's due to the ventilation.
    I: LS6 uses a different casting process then the LS1 resulting in tighter tolerances all around.

    Thats all I can remember off hand. YOU WANT THE LS6 if you can find it, far superior block. I was lucky enough to find out I had one when I pulled the Heads off to do my H/C.

    Part number for LS6 intake off of F-Body is #12561184
    Part number for LS6 intake off of Z06 is #12573572
    damn I didn't know they were that different.
    I swear the more I learn more I find I don't know

  19. #19
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Good info... now I have to get my mirror and flashlight out!

  20. #20
    Member adam3566's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Janesville,Wisconsin
    Posts
    880

    black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)


    And this summer would be great Adam3566. Only prob is my car may not be totally done by then. Doing H/C/rearend/clutch/shocks BUT.....Wouldn't mind riding in your Turbo T/A or the meaty C6 I am really hoping I can get it done so I can make a Byron trip and see how she runs.
    T/A's gone, plan on getting a Chevelle, or older muscle this summer. Keeping the vette for sure. But would deffinitly give you a ride in the vette anytime. Sounds like your going to have one hell of a ride when your done! Boost maybe???? You know you want to!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Where to buy - window motors?
    By AaBryan in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 10:29 AM
  2. New window motors...
    By greasepunk in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 01:06 PM
  3. Is it the window motors?
    By Smokeyblaze in forum LT1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
  4. headlight motors
    By homerunhtr21 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 11:27 AM
  5. N/A motors in here!!!!!
    By onebadws6_1998 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 08:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •