Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

which is it LS1 or LS6

This is a discussion on which is it LS1 or LS6 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; actually my reply to all of this in the beginning is that not all 2002 LS1's had the LS6 intake..............so ...

gingerpcurry
    actually my reply to all of this in the beginning is that not all 2002 LS1's had the LS6 intake..............so i believe your post is basically sayin what i was sayin.........i do have a 2002.....and i do not have the LS6 intake..........
    thanks hammertime
    Ginger

99 Firebird Formula

Ginger can you take a quick picture of the 02 with the LS1 intake manifold?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by DocEwww
    Uhm no...all 01-02 F Bodies have the LS6 Intake.

Uhm correct!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

OMG you people are fools

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Wasn't it true also that some model years got LS6 heads that were marked with a diamond or triangle on them? Thought I remember reading that before Brad forgot to pay the bill again. Said there was a shortage so some lucky cars got diff. heads

its the casting your talking about with the heads, the triangle shape depicts it.
    But it doesnt flow any better.

Also some ls1 did come with the ls6 block! that was for oil ventalition! they eat less oil!

99 Firebird Formula

OMG you people are fools
    I just wanted to see a picture of the so-called 02 with an LS1 intake and EGR...I'd also like to see a picture of the sticker on the '02 car that lists the emissions components.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

kel--ready I'll spell it out for ya

T-R-O-L-L

You're a smart girl think about it

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Ok, I found this shot under the hood of my SS. You can clearly see the cast iron exhaust manifolds, the AIR injection in the top of the manifold, and the coolant hose (I believe) feeding into the Throttle Body. Would also like to see pics under your hood to compare...
    Last edited by hammertime; 05-02-2006 at 12:10 PM.

99 Firebird Formula

kel--ready I'll spell it out for ya

T-R-O-L-L

You're a smart girl think about it
    I try and give people the benefit of the doubt...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I'm still waiting for proof that 01-02 f-bodies came with an ls1 manifold.

Pitty you wont find any since they all came with an ls6 manifold.

Drive it like u stole it! newguy WS6's Avatar

Black
    06' GTO

I have a LS6 Intake manifold on my 02 WS6... I found out form the great folks on this site that all 01/02's have the LS6 intake. I also checked with My uncle who has been one of the mechanics at City Chevrolet for about 15 years.. He confirms it as well...

Im also one of the lucky ones to have the LS6 block.. But I dont think its any faster that a LS1 block..
    Im told that the only difference is the material in the block etc.. would be good for adding NOS or Blower/Turbo etc..

Besides.. Cubes are important, but The intake head and cam package is what makes these cars what they are...

Just my .02

Steve

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

This is another fine peeing contest we have here-- if there werent girls involved here I'd say it was a macho thing but-looks like some people are confused about the z-06 stuff and the LS-6 stuff.Haven't seen the stainless exhaust manifolds on any f-body-anybody else?My 02 Z-28 doesn't have an egr valve-I think they all came that way.I know on my car it's impossible to put a mirror behind the block an see anything,an relying on the shiny or dullness of the block is kinda dicey at best,as they get older aluminum tends to oxidize an dull out.That website reference is just somebody elses opinion -there are no references to the source of their info so take the "facts" as presented with a grain of salt.I have read in a couple different magazine sources that all 2001 and 2002 LS-1 have the LS-6 intakes and it stands to reason that since the factory raised the H.P. rating in 2001 they would all have this.Don't have the latest issue of Hotrod cause I left it at work in the toolbox-yeah I'm a pro wrench an that's my .02 worth.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpcurry
    I bought my 2002 New....has 9563 miles.......and is an ls1 and if ya check not all LS1 in 2002 had the LS6 intake........if you have cast iron exhaust manifold the you have the LS6.....mine is not cast iron....
    Ginger
    Sorry girl ... all f-bodies from 2000 on up had the cast iron exhaust manifold and the LS6 intake.

gingerpcurry
    yah yah yah...........lol..........fine mystic.........i have two Trans Ams and neither one have cast iron they are both stamped steel..........98 and 02.........have a great life .....

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpcurry
    yah yah yah...........lol..........fine mystic.........i have two Trans Ams and neither one have cast iron they are both stamped steel..........98 and 02.........have a great life .....
    98 yes ... your 02 either ain't an 02 or someone sold you a salvage with a 98-99 parts/engine.

Look at the mainfold AIR tube flanges on both your cars are they parallel or perpendicular to the engine?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

boy, it is absolutely amazing that since this board was re-opened, there has been so much bad information discussed on here. Everyone is an expert because they read something somewhere, just amazing.

red with 35th le stripes
    2002 35TH LE

ALL 01 - 02 HAVE LS6 INTAKE ! if youre confused by all the different answers just call slp you know the people that build the cars! give them youre vin and they will answer any questions youve got!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Hold on.......SLP modifies the vehicles Chevrolet built,just wanted to clarify that.Then call them and ask the questions and post the answers,don't just tell people to do it .I'm a little confused by the reference to stamped steel exhaust manifolds,I've never seen that-and I'm a veteran auto mechanic who just spent 3 years in an exhaust shop.I don't have a SS so maybe SLP put on headers and took off the cast iron stock manifolds,some body else can clarify that point.Headers are made up from steel tubes -it would be incorrect to call that stamped and maybe causing the confusion,IDK.And to the people commenting that there is all this bad info-add some facts to the discussion and clarify who you think is putting in bad info-that would be constructive critism.I looked in the latest issue of Hotrod magazine (and aside from the cool article on the LS-7 427 z-06 engine)and didn't see ant reference to LS-6 manifolds. Looking at the SLP catalog they sell a LS-6 intake manifold for 1998-2000 Camaro-Firebirds (part number 30041) which features SLP's "exclusive EGR modification" which enables the use of the stock EGR system.What I believe we are reading here is that the 2001 on up cars already have a LS-6 manifold and no EGR was on the LS-6 manifold from the factory.SLP is claiming a possible 15 h.p. increase at the rear wheels from the LS-6 manifold -that's hefty and worth the effort if anyone was interested.All right-my fingers are getting sore from all this typing-just wanted to say in closing-there is nothing wrong with debating these things,keep a clear head and discuss,don't insult. Update-I found the HotRod magazine article in the Jan 06 issue-and it's very informative about a number of things-but they state (like the guy says)that LS6 manifolds come on 02 and up-I think they are wrong on that.Good article though-sorry about the confusion.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 01-23-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    SLP modifies the vehicles Chevrolet built,just wanted to clarify that.
    Correct - and they do not do anything outside of a lid, or a cat back exhaust. Other wise, they offered suspension upgrades, wheels, car covers and key fobs.

SLP did not install intake or exhaust manifolds (or headers). And GM would not phase out LS1 intakes in 2000, recertify the emissions to no longer require EGR, and then continue to let LS1 manifolds go onto cars in '01 & '02.

As you also point out, the aftermarket has embraced the fact that 97-00 LS1's benefit from the LS6 intake, which is why several manufacturers carry different part numbers for head and intake kits, as well as headers that do/don't hook up to EGR.

red
    98 camaro z28 m6

on that site that tells you the differances.

how do i tell if my 98 has a c5 cam? or what?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information