Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

which is it LS1 or LS6

This is a discussion on which is it LS1 or LS6 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 01CalgarySS All 01 do NOT come with the LS6. Some did. It wasn't until 02. If your ...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by 01CalgarySS
    All 01 do NOT come with the LS6. Some did. It wasn't until 02. If your not sure if you have an LS6, call your local dealer and give them the last 8 digits of your VIN. I did, and I sure don't have an LS6 but have an LS1.
    Have a Great DaY!
    T
    Wrong buddy, any 01 LS1 has an LS6 intake. And if you are unsure look under your hood, but if it's an 01 you WILL find an LS6 with no egr

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Wasn't it true also that some model years got LS6 heads that were marked with a diamond or triangle on them? Thought I remember reading that before Brad forgot to pay the bill again. Said there was a shortage so some lucky cars got diff. heads

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You're thinkin about the block

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    You're thinkin about the block
    Yep you're right my mistake....what was the deal with that again?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Lemme find you the website that explains it. Something about a shortage like you said, some got it some didn't. Doesn't make a difference either way performance/durability, etc

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I havn't found the site that explains how to tell which block you have, but I have this: http://www.ls1fbody.com/Model_Year_Differences.htm#why
    It tells you all the diffs between 98-02 f-bodies

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Alright, I found this
    "Nemaks material properties were 10% higher, so they went with Nemak as there supplier.Nemak supplied the stronger LS6 casting.Montupet provided the LS1. According to GM the sheer volume in which this block was produced meant that they were able to let some go to the f-body program. It is said that 10-15% of all 2001 f cars and around 25% of all 2002 f cars are running around with LS6 blocks. to see if your 2001 or 2002 f-body has an LS6 block open the hood and on the drivers side with a mirror try to see the back of the left hand deck above the transmission flange. A cast-in 12561168 denotes the LS6 block. If you cant see the numbers you might be able to tell by the luster of the block the Montupet plant cast a shinier block (LS1) and the Nemak plant made the duller stronger block (LS6) starting in 2003 all LS1/LS6 blocks will be of the Nemak configurations"

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Alright, I found this
    "Nemaks material properties were 10% higher, so they went with Nemak as there supplier.Nemak supplied the stronger LS6 casting.Montupet provided the LS1. According to GM the sheer volume in which this block was produced meant that they were able to let some go to the f-body program. It is said that 10-15% of all 2001 f cars and around 25% of all 2002 f cars are running around with LS6 blocks. to see if your 2001 or 2002 f-body has an LS6 block open the hood and on the drivers side with a mirror try to see the back of the left hand deck above the transmission flange. A cast-in 12561168 denotes the LS6 block. If you cant see the numbers you might be able to tell by the luster of the block the Montupet plant cast a shinier block (LS1) and the Nemak plant made the duller stronger block (LS6) starting in 2003 all LS1/LS6 blocks will be of the Nemak configurations"

But like you said earlier, no diff. in perf. or power with this right?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Correct, diff oil galleys are the only actual difference. I can't find the site with pics and such and an explaination of the difference, but he makes fun of dumb kids that try to claim they make more horsies because of their block. Kinda like my B4C, yeah it was a cop car, nope it doesn't mean it's better. Most kids get ahold of a B4C and try to claim some outrageous crap about how it is SO much faster than a Z

gingerpcurry

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

I havn't found the site that explains how to tell which block you have, but I have this: http://www.ls1fbody.com/Model_Year_Differences.htm#why
    It tells you all the diffs between 98-02 f-bodies

Good stuff

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I am geek enough that I read every line
    and I've read it more than once since then
    and felt like a better man for it

gingerpcurry
    Thanks.........I have a 98 which is an LS1...with LS1 ........I also have a 2002 LS1 ........ had the heads and manifold modified on the 2002 and it was all LS1.......so .....not all 2002 LS1 had LS6 intake......anywayz guys nice to meet all of ya........look forward to being a member here.........and who knows maybe just maybe I will be able to post something to help.........

Ginger

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You are saying you had a 2002 with an LS1 intake? so it had an egr?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yes, please clarify!

gingerpcurry

The Differences..............

2001 LS6 Modifications

Redesigned engine block includes quarter size slots cast into the webs underneath the travel area of the piston which reduces the amount of air the pistons pump resulting in higher rpm output.

Redesigned positive crankcase ventilation system improves oil flow during high speed conditions.

Redesigned air cleaner leading to reduced restriction and greater air intake.

Redesigned camshaft profile which allows increased valve lift, therefore more air pulled into the combustion chamber which helps to increase power.

New intake manifold and mass air flow sensor design allows more air intake.

Higher rate valve springs and a new cylinder head design enhance the engine's breathing characteristics for increased rpm and performance.

New cast iron exhaust manifolds are used in place of the stamped steel manifolds which improves the flow of exhaust gases. These manifolds connect to a new lightweight, titanium exhaust system which is the first ever to be used in a mass-produced automobile. This new exhaust system incorporates titanium exhaust pipes and mufflers that contain larger louver tubes which help to reduce back pressure and increase performance.

And yes it does have the egr...........and stainless steel exhaust manifold which is not characteristic of the LS6..............

Ginger

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If your cars do have an ls1 intake...did you buy it used? The seller probably put an ls1 intake on it and sold the ls6 for $400 and made a larger profit.

I'm sorry, but all 01-02 f-bodies came with an ls6 intake.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Great, except you've identified all the differences between an LS1 and LS6 Corvette.

Yes, as stated above, some percentage of F-Bodies recieved the surplus of LS6 blocks, but that certainly does not mean they have the entire LS6 engine.

gingerpcurry

Nahhhhhhhhhh.........

I bought my 2002 New....has 9563 miles.......and is an ls1 and if ya check not all LS1 in 2002 had the LS6 intake........if you have cast iron exhaust manifold the you have the LS6.....mine is not cast iron.....and no I am good enough with cars I would know the difference....
    Bought my first Trans Am in 79.......have had a new TA or Camaro every year since....
    have a little confidence guys not all blondehaired/blue-eyed women are ignorant when it comes to cars.......after all I did rebuild my 98 myself from the block up........and that car has 149,000 + miles since the rebuild.....i drive it daily.............

Ginger

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

In no way am I doubting your intelligence as a woman...but all 02s had an ls6 intake. Period. The stats you're comparing to an f-body are the stats to a z06. Completely different in terms of exhaust and performance.

These manifolds connect to a new lightweight, titanium exhaust system which is the first ever to be used in a mass-produced automobile.
    Thats all vette.

If you can remember...was the bottom of your intake curvy or flat?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information