LS1 Leaking PS Pump Hole??

This is a discussion on LS1 Leaking PS Pump Hole?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just got a 98 WS6 and last time I drove it, took it home on a flat bed. Turns ...

Black
    1998 WS6

LS1 Leaking PS Pump Hole??

I just got a 98 WS6 and last time I drove it, took it home on a flat bed. Turns out it needed a new alternator. It did have a PS leak prior to this, and I thought I replaced the right hose. But when I went to put the new alternator on I noticed that it was actually leaking PS fluid from a tiny hole in the bottom of the pump.

I don't want to put the new alternator on just to have it covered in oil again... but what is this hole in the PS pump? I've done a lot of google and forum searching, but haven't found mention of this anywhere, and there's nothing about it in the GM service manual.

Any help is appreciated! I'm tempted to seal it up, but figure it might have a purpose <p>

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

looks like it is a material failure. Meaning the aluminum has pitted or just piss poor made.

Your going to need to get a new pump. Trust me that leak will fry your new alternator.

Navy Blue Metallic

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp, need to be replaced and like said above a leaking pump will cause your alt to take a poo on ya.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have a feeling that hole is supposed to be there. You can kinda see it in this picture, I think. Either ways, if your pump is leaking, then you need to replace it.

Black
    1998 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    looks like it is a material failure. Meaning the aluminum has pitted or just piss poor made.

Your going to need to get a new pump. Trust me that leak will fry your new alternator.
    So this isn't something that's supposed to be there, I'm guessing? The pump seems fine otherwise.

Black
    1998 WS6

I guess I'll just get a new pump either way. Might as well save myself the trouble.

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that on theirs,too? Seemed like a bad place to have a drain hole...!

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If i remember correctly the hole is suppose to be there, kinda like a wheep hole on a water pump, when the seals fail its leaks through the hole.
    J

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Echo12 View Post
    So this isn't something that's supposed to be there, I'm guessing? The pump seems fine otherwise.
    I'd go with Cutlass answer he is a ASE Certified Mechanic that works on our cars. Time to replace. Stay away from Autozone. I'd check with one of our sponsors gmpartsdirect.com they have certified GM parts at great prices.

Black
    1998 WS6

It's 1am but I had to get to the bottom of this...! Leaking oil would probably be an indicator that an O-ring's bad in there, but that hole also comes in handy when ya need to get the circlip off to take the pump apart! I'm betting that's its only real purpose 'cause without it, the circlip would be a real b**ch.

I'm thinking about getting a rebuild kit. The GM replacement pumps look really expensive. Or maybe a good quality aftermarket, or something more conventionally priced if anyone knows of something? Already had to replace the battery, alternator, cables, and steering line so I was really counting on being finished with this!

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I wouldnt go the rebuild route, if your low on cash then just get a local parts store unit, it will work the same but ensure you get one with a lifetime warranty, most people dont like them because they are remanufactured parts and its a shot in the dark when it comes to the pump working or not but if you get a lifetime warranty part then all you have to do is exchange it. I personaly like Napa.
    Just my opinion and experiance and if anyone is wondering i have more Certifications in more area's then i know what to do with.
    J

Black
    1998 WS6

Yeah I went ahead and got one of the remanufactured ones locally. Figure it'll get me through until I decide on something better anyway.

Thread Information