Thread: ls1 - ford?

red
    1967 mustang

ls1 - ford?

Ive got a 1967 Mustang coupe im putting an LS1 in...Just wondering if anyone has done this yet...maybe could share some tips before i start.
    All help is appreciated

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Now there's a man who knows how to spend his money wisely.

You might have to get some solid motor mounts that can be welded to the frame, your headers will prolly need to be custom made, and you will have to fab a trans support and driveshaft.

Look on ebay and see if you can find a deal on a 99+ LS1 take out. Motor and trans. They are all over the place for relatively cheap.

You might need to upgrade the rear end, cause 330 ft-lbs to the rear might trash it compared to the weak 289 or so that came in it.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

lol wait till all the hard core blue oval boys find out about your swap lol.....

red
    1967 mustang

haha

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    lol wait till all the hard core blue oval boys find out about your swap lol.....
    im waitin for it. Im chevy all the way just always been in love with the 67 stang body

red
    1967 mustang

preciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Now there's a man who knows how to spend his money wisely.

You might have to get some solid motor mounts that can be welded to the frame, your headers will prolly need to be custom made, and you will have to fab a trans support and driveshaft.

Look on ebay and see if you can find a deal on a 99+ LS1 take out. Motor and trans. They are all over the place for relatively cheap.

You might need to upgrade the rear end, cause 330 ft-lbs to the rear might trash it compared to the weak 289 or so that came in it.
    Do you have any suggestions on where i can find motor mounts? I just figured on gettin the LS1/350 switch over mount plate and drill my own holes..the rearend is a 14 bolt (i think) i figured it would be sufficient..if you think otherwise please let me know.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

your a good man. ls1 in a stang, never thought of it. im in love with the 65 fastback. but with ls1 power??? im to young to think that ingenious!!

red
    1967 mustang

haha

man im only 19..i have a buddy with an built ls1 in a 72 camaro..went for a ride and bam wouldnt have it any other way..ive never heard of it done either..any thoughts would be awesome...

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

LS1 in damn UPS truck would be awesome! That 14 bolt sounds like it would hold. We will find out shortly!

If you have already found a kit, then don't listen to me!

I would think yearone would carry stuff like that...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by heartbeatpony View Post
    ..ive never heard of it done either...
    that's usually the case because Ford and Chevy parts are interchangable. you will be spending a lot of time and money to fabricate the parts you will need to put a GM small block into a ford chassis without some good modifications. good luck.

My other car is a cop car

White
    1998 T/A

dunno, let us know how it comes out.....or shoud I say goes in. Good luck!

red
    1967 mustang

awesome

man i really appreciate all yalls imput on things..good to know that theres more people like me..glad i found this place!!

red
    1967 mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    LS1 in damn UPS truck would be awesome! That 14 bolt sounds like it would hold. We will find out shortly!

If you have already found a kit, then don't listen to me!

I would think yearone would carry stuff like that...
    freakin right it would be awesome...you know bout the trail blazer ss with the ls1 in it?? all wheel drive or two wheel dig. supposed to run 12's in the quarter. sounds like a family vehicle to me!!

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

if they can stick a skyline motor in a 60's stang, you can stick an ls1 in it. I know there are some guys that have tried to put it in the 80's 5.0. As far as the motor mount situation, check out Hawksthirdgen.com. I know, not a sponsor but you won't find these parts anywhere else. They have a custom motormount where the plates bolt into the frame, you lower the engine with the mounts and bracket, mark your placement once in, then you remove the mounts, tack weld them in, check the fitment, then weld in permanently. It's for third gen camaros looking to swap, but it may work for the stang. Spohn custom makes thest mounts, so you may want to check with them as well. As far as your headers, check with custom header shops or give stainless steel works a ring and see what they can do for you. If you have some clearance, you may be agble to bolt on LS1 shorties and fab the custom y or x tubing.

RP

red
    1967 mustang

ls1

you think ill still need custom headers if i have a cowl induction hood? I dont know...im thinkin i might be ok..but guess ill just have to see when i drop it in. I really appreciate the info on the mounts.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

it's more like the clearance between your inner fender wells and the headers plus the drop clearance from the bottom of the block to the floorpan. Short's you won't have that problem. Check out the block hugger by hooker. I believe they sell them at summit for custom hot rod LS1 installations. They might be the best choice for your install

red
    1967 mustang

ok then. that makes sense..man i really appreciate your time..its helpin alot

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well....I have seen a few LS1 powered Stangs at various events I go to....and of course most car shows have tons of GM 350 short blocks in damn near every rat rod/ street rod there regardless of original manufacturer....I myself have thrown GM shortblocks into a few things....the motor mount issues are not a issue...we fab a plate that bolts in and holds the motor to whatever we put it in....got to doing that back in my "altered" class days running Olds small blocks....today lots of shops make em for you... http://www.campbellenterprises.com/p...h&query=twr800
    Now your building a street car....I would think the largest time consumer in this project...outside of beating the crap out of some firewalls and fender wells...will be wiring the electrical.....I would not even bother trying to splice a GM ECM computer and wiring harness into the Ford...I would just rewire the entire car and be done with it.....
    By the way...for a little cheerleading effort for you...here is a video of a LS1 in a 88 Stang
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36469658773213
    I applaud your creativity....that's hot rodding man....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I was looking for that vid And yes, Creativity and cars is a virtue not hated upon. The fact that you are building the demonchild of a rivalry, eh, it works right! Now all you need is a mopar rear and an import interior and you're set btw, don't get any crazy ideas

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Interracial horsepower at its finest.

The fastest Mustang I ever rode in was a fox with a 408 chevy stroker in it.

That vid is cool as hell Sarge. Except where the guy zooms in on his shades? He must love those things.

From the way that guy was dressed, he looks like he owns his own maintenance shop, and that is his personal project.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

since the rear-end was mentionned... a Ford 8.8" rear-end is strong enough to hold good amount of hp... if you want to go more solid, a 9" will never break... but I'm sure it's easier to find a 8.8" from any Ford guy that upgraded to a 9"
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information