white
    98 SS

LS1-er needs help

I used to post here in the late 90's! My how times have changed......Need some help please.

Anyone with 1/4 mile numbers to justify getting 4.10 gears installed? Just came into some extra money and I remember how gears helped in my previous car. Does it make sense to go from stockers to 4.10?

On a different topic, I heard that a programmer is available (or will be soon) that will enable large gains, tuning-wise. Any truth to that?

I have an M6 98 SS w/ 17k miles on it that has the basic bolt-ons (dyno at 306 rwhp and 320 tq).The end-goal is to bolt on a supercharger, which may be a few years.

Also, what is the stock size of the shifter handle? Looking to replace my knob.
    Appreciate the help

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i gained about 3-4 tenths with a 410 rear when i had my C5.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

white
    98 SS

thanks for the info - heard 4.10's are bad for a stock rear. any truth to it?

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by beanie
    thanks for the info - heard 4.10's are bad for a stock rear. any truth to it?
    True, because with a 10" rear a 4.10 gear is very small and thus prone to breaking.

Eric @ DMS
    Definitely go 4.10s. M6 cars love 4.10 gearing. If your mainly street...then your rear end will hold a lot longer than if you went to the track often. Most people with 4.10s have stock rear ends and are doing fine. However you also increase the risk of breaking it if you have drag radials and hit the track.

There are already programmers that are out in the market(i.e. the Predator Tuner).

Drop me an email if you have further questions or are looking for parts. I'll be happy to help.

tyrsmok
    I beat the crap out of my car (on the street) and have no problems with my spec stage III, second tranny, and 4.10s.

Thread Information