White
    1991 Skyline GTR (Sold)

LS1 engine swap and CA emissions?

Is there any difference between a CA emissions car (1999-2002 LS1 Camaro/Firebird) and a regular 49 state federally legal car? Any physical or electronic differences in the drivetrain?

The reason I am asking is that I live in CA and want to put an LS1 into a project car I am working on. Since I need to take the car through the CA referee station, I want to make sure it will pass.

Thanks in advance.

-AL

Not sure what you're looking for. Would they know what they're looking at? 01/02 cars don't have EGR, if they do a visual too. Not familiar with CA emissions, they just reading codes these days? Saw a post a couple months ago where someone wanted the emissions label PN for an 01/02 cause they were putting an LS6 intake on their 99 car (can't remember what state) and didn't want to get busted.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I don't think there's much if any difference. I have a CA emissions car and haven't seen anything with the motor that's different then a non-CA ls1....the stock tune might have been different though

White
    1991 Skyline GTR (Sold)

I just need to know if there are any physical or electronic differences between the two drive trains. For example does a CA emissions LS1 powertrain have different CATs or a different computer? The part numbers could be different and thus be caught by the CA emissions referees. Perhaps there is an additional crank case vent, EGR valve, or different fuel EVAP canister, etc... The minor possibilities are endless.

This may sound trivial, but I would like to have all my i's "dotted" and all my t's "crossed" when I go through that wicket. I would hate to be denied at the last second and have to rip things apart and spend more money when I could do it right the first time.

Any insights are appreciated.

The sticker part number is a good point too. I was going to make one as my emissions routing might be different, but it would help in case I need it.

-AL

Boston Green
    '94 BMW 318c (soon 357c)

I have done a bit of research on it in preparation for my own conversion (also a ca resident).

My conversion won't pass smog because of the custom headers (and it costs a few thousand to get those things certified I have heard). So if you don't have this problem then I think your set.

Find a guy that knows a guy that will smog your car for around 300$ and don't worry about it again for another few years. Or smog your car now 'early' (what I did) before you do your conversion and then do the previous mentioned expensive smog when the time comes.

They don't even want your car when they do this, just the vin I think - and they send the green light to the dmv.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

you said you're going to a ref first though right? what car is this going in? Ls1's have a carb on it. I have a 98 from north carolina and had no problems with emmisions. Nothing different with the emmisions layout, but if you drop it into a third gen, or something else that requires custom piping. just OBDII compliant cats on carb legal shorty headers will do. Emmisions wise, its all the same

White
    1991 Skyline GTR (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    you said you're going to a ref first though right? what car is this going in? Ls1's have a carb on it. I have a 98 from north carolina and had no problems with emmisions. Nothing different with the emmisions layout, but if you drop it into a third gen, or something else that requires custom piping. just OBDII compliant cats on carb legal shorty headers will do. Emmisions wise, its all the same
    Huh? A 1999-2002 LS1 should be EFI not carborated.

Engine is going into a late model German automobile. Custom headers will be manufactured and sent up for CARB approval and EO number. I just need to track down any differences in emissions parts

-AL

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

CARB = California Air Research Board. So when he goes to a ref station, they check for the CARB # printed onto a part that's 50 state legal

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

the carb on the LS1 refered to the resource board not an after market carb you can actually convert the ls1 to sorry for the mix up

Thread Information