Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Z-28

LS1 compatible parts with LS2?

Hey I was just wondering if typical bolt on parts like exhaust and intake etc. for an LS1 would be compatible on an LS2 motor? I'm asking because I saw that a crate LS2 motor from Jegs is quite inexpensive. I'd hate to dump a bunch of money into mine then upgrade to an LS2 down the road and not have any interchangable parts.
    -John

The biggest problem you will run into with an LS2 crate motor, is the fact that starting on 06 LS2's the crank reluctor ring for the crank sensor was increased to 52 teeth or something thereabouts, compared to something like 24 teeth for the ls1,,,so the computer is not compatable.
    You would have to find an LS2 crate motor from 2005 with the LS1 crank reluctor wheel count. Or change the entire computer and wiring harness to work with the newer LS2 crank reluctor wheel,,,yuck.

Other than that it's a drop in deal with minor issues such as the knock sensors are located on the block (ls2) instead of under the intake (ls1) so an extension harness is needed to reach,,,,and I believe another extension harness is needed for the cam sensor as that was also moved.

There may be other small things that someone else can chime in on,,,but I think those are the major things that come to mind. Hope that helps. Larry

Black
    2000 Z-28

How difficult/expensive would it be then to upgrade to the newer computer and wiring harness? If it's ridiculous then I guess it may just be better to rebuild mine when the time comes rather than to just upgrade to the LS2.

I personally wouldn't go that route, not because of the money issue but it just sounds like more of a pain in the rear to me. I'm not interested in changing computers and wiring. If it doesn't bother you then it might be a viable option though.

The best advice I can give would be going with a new computer and wiring kit for the swap.
    Since LS2's were not originally offered in F-bodies, I am sure someone offers a retro kit for this.

When I swapped an LT1/4L60E combo in my jeep I got the necessary computer and wiring harness from Howell Management systems.
    It was all custom made and brand new,,,,and they also do LS1 stuff. For my LT1 swap I spent $800 for everything brand new. Was a very nice way to go with everything labeled, it was simply plug and play with a custom tune already burned into the computer for the combo I was running,,,,,very sweet! But this was completely retro starting with a car that was never equipped with a computer.

There may be other options, like finding a used computer for the new reluctor wheel (ls2) and then possibly trying to pin a used harness together to work,,,but like I said,,,it's a pain and more trouble than I am willing to go through.
    Hopefully others can chime in with more advice,,,I know there are some who have done this swap and probably found easier/cheaper ways around this. Larry.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

A few companies sell harness adapters to convert them easily and cheaply without haveing to worry about the computer changeout problem.

No kidding? I knew they made extension harnesses to cure the knock sensor problem and the cam sensor problem,,,,but there is actually something to put in your existing harness to cure the crank reluctor wheel problem (tooth count)? I would like to see/hear more about this. Anyone?

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

I would go to Crateenginedepot.com and get the 2005 complete LS6 (Zo6) block and then transfer all your LS1 electronics, Thats what i did because the block has 400 hp 400 lbs torque!! The block is only $2999.99

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by mglangley21 View Post
    I would go to Crateenginedepot.com and get the 2005 complete LS6 (Zo6) block and then transfer all your LS1 electronics, Thats what i did because the block has 400 hp 400 lbs torque!! The block is only $2999.99
    I thought the '05 Z06 had 505hp??

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

my bad

It's an 04 LS6 zo6, sorry dude

Black
    2000 Z-28

It's cool man. So you bought the crate engine or just the shortblock for $2,999?

You are thinking of the new 427 LS6 with 505 hp. That can be bought as well for about 13 large.

Mglangley21 is talking about the 346 ci LS6 from previous years, which is still available in crate form and makes 405 hp. All of your existing hardware bolts on without issues at all,,,,and I have heard of a few people now that are running this engine still on the stock Fbody LS1 tune,,,although a good tune would be needed for best results.

The part number he is referring to at this price is 89017653 and is actually considered the replacement engine for the CTS-V cadillac (LS6) but I did some research since the price difference is so drastic for the actual corvette LS6 (part number 12498399) and my dealer is telling me the price for the LS6 cadillac motor is cheap because it is actually a remain motor and not a new one. Whether true or not I don't know, but I don't want to buy one just to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    It's cool man. So you bought the crate engine or just the shortblock for $2,999?
    I believe that is supposed to be a complete engine heads and all.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I believe that is supposed to be a complete engine heads and all.
    That does sound like a great deal but you're saying that it's rebuilt and not new? Could you just swap the heads and cam out of it to make the 405hp? I guess you'd be better off going w/ aftermarket heads and cam and make a lot more hp though.

I checked again, it is a reman motor, not a new one.

The title is tricky, and lists as a new motor, but when you read the description it does indeed tell you this is a remanufactured motor, hence the reason for the $3,000 price tag.

It does have LS6 heads which are a step up from the LS1 head,,,but the camshaft is a mystery though,,,as it changed slightly throughout the LS6 production run, and it doesn't say which one it has.

Yes aftermarket heads will make more power depending on what you do, but if reman motors are okay with you,,,,I would stick a nice aftermarket cam in this crate engine and just go with it. It would be a quick and easy swap with an increase in power and minimal down time.

Something else to consider, since it doesn't list a part number for the heads,,,alot of people advertise LS6 heads with the D-shape exhaust ports but are they actually the good version of this head? I mean the good LS6 heads had hollow stem valves that were lighter and I believe the exhaust valves were sodium filled. There are other LS series heads out there that mimic the LS6 port dimensions but don't have the real valve train in it,,,,the new LS2 motors in the GTO's are a prime example of this.

So which head does the reman motor actually have? Real LS6 heads and valve train or just the ports that mimic the LS6 head?

Either way it still looks like a good deal though.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

Ls6 complete motor

I have this motor in my car and it is nasty fast, i have only raced a few people since the motor has been put in but a couple of cobra's and a 06 6.0 Gto had no chance even from a 70 mph roll and i have an auto and droped into 2nd at 70 mph and stomped his ass!!

Black
    2000 Z-28

So pretty much to answer my original post, why go with the LS2 when it's easier and more compatible to go with the LS6....right?

Well John,,,,yes it is easier and much more compatable of a swap. If you are looking for minimal hassle and down time then this is a great way to go.

A simple and cheap engine swap that will put an Fbody into the 12's right out of the crate. Nothing wrong with that.

black, and black
    04 M6

ls6

was thinking of this swap into my 04 gto when the ls1 goes, my questions r does everything bolt up or do u need to switch oil pans, etc???

Yes I believe the oil pans will have to be switched,,,but everything should change over without problems.

mglangley21 should be able to comment on this with certainty, he has done this swap.

Thread Information