Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ls1 blew got new ls6 long block

This is a discussion on ls1 blew got new ls6 long block within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; that is always an option but we were going on the notion that u wanted a new motor all together. ...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

that is always an option but we were going on the notion that u wanted a new motor all together. if your ls1 has a lot of miles on it may not be able to be rebuilt. since the ls1 uses an aluminum block it must use steel sleeves in the bores, now brilliant gm didnt make these big enough to tolerate an overbore bigger than .010. meaning if your ls1 has a lot of miles it will probably need a hone or bore to get the cylinders straight again and that maybe too much for the block to handle as it can only take a .010 overbore. also with heads and a cam youll be looking at around 430whp and will probably be in it for the same or more as an ls6. also forged internals are great but if your only gonna do 10lbs of boost and you get a good tune they probably arent needed. also look at it this way if you did that you could not select a normal cam for a non boosted car as it would bleed off way to much boost. also if you were gonna build you motor you might as well put some low compression heads on it to save you from putting a thicker gasket on later. now all that will make for a dog of a motor and if you wont boost it for a while is a waste of time imo, and you'll have spent a nice dime the ls6 OTOH has a cam that loves boost and later on you can just add a thicker gasket to lower compression.
    Last edited by redbird555; 03-26-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    that is always an option but we were going on the notion that u wanted a new motor all together. if your ls1 has a lot of miles on it may not be able to be rebuilt. since the ls1 uses an aluminum block it must use steel sleeves in the bores, now brilliant gm didnt make these big enough to tolerate an overbore bigger than .010. meaning if your ls1 has a lot of miles it will probably need a hone or bore to get the cylinders straight again and that maybe too much for the block to handle as it can only take a .010 overbore. also with heads and a cam youll be looking at around 430whp and will probably be in it for the same or more as an ls6. also forged internals are great but if your only gonna do 10lbs of boost and you get a good tune they probably arent needed. also look at it this way if you did that you could not select a normal cam for a non boosted car as it would bleed off way to much boost. also if you were gonna build you motor you might as well put some low compression heads on it to save you from putting a thicker gasket on later. now all that will make for a dog of a motor and if you wont boost it for a while is a waste of time imo, and you'll have spent a nice dime the ls6 OTOH has a cam that loves boost and later on you can just add a thicker gasket to lower compression.
    Well then. Enough said. Thanks

red+black
    98 z28 ls6

i got stupid lucky and gotta FAST LS6 intake from a friend for $700 it was used on his vette but hes got other issues so i got it while i could. finally pulled my ls1 now im just puttin the puzzle together..

Impounded
    hows it coming along?
    i wont be getting my LS6 till July

red+black
    98 z28 ls6

well i had to settle and put my ls1 intake on for now due to budget restraints IE WIFE!! but its all finished and tunned i put 356hp to the wheels with an automatic not sure of the torque but i will get the print out probly tommorow ... we were happy especially becouse of the restrictive intake ..(for now!!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information