LS1

This is a discussion on LS1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; im thinkn about selling my 86 IROCZ so i can get a newer camaro but right now its kinda hard ...

Red
    1986 IROCZ

LS1

im thinkn about selling my 86 IROCZ so i can get a newer camaro but right now its kinda hard for me to make the money to do tht. i want a 98 or up camaro with an LS1 but i dnt think ill be able to buy one with an LS1 and will have to get a V6 first then later swap it out for an LS1 when i can find one for sale or in a scrap yard. what would be easier to do? buy a V6 for cheap than swap out the V6 for an LS1 when i can or just get one already with an LS1???

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. IMO, I'd say find one with the V8 already. Some have done the engine swap, but it's a LOT of work. You can find Camaros on ebay with ls1s for decent prices depending on mileage and condition. You could even check out the Vehicles for Sale/Trade section and see if any members on here are selling one.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

welcome to ls1.com. i would buy a camaro with the ls1 already in it. as knight said it is a lot of work to convert v6 camaros into v8s.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Red
    1986 IROCZ

ok thanks. im gunna be selln my IROC for 5000. then i have 2 79 Z28s im gunna sell. they both need alot of work, ones all rusted out and im selln it for 200, got sumone pickn it up here soon and my other is in prty good condition, got a lil bit done to it, idk exactly what has been done to it cause it was my dad who was buildn the car. but it just needs alot of body work and a good paint job and im selln it for 1200. so tht leaves me with 6400. been hard findn a good camaro with an LS1 for tht cheap thts close ta where i live. i want a black one also and thts been hard ta find. but i guess im jus gunna have to look harder then. thanks tho. ill take tht advice.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Welcome to ls1.
    If I were you i will wait and get the camaro with ls1

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Talk with 86 Iroc Z he may want to buy yours....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    ok thanks. im gunna be selln my IROC for 5000. then i have 2 79 Z28s im gunna sell. they both need alot of work, ones all rusted out and im selln it for 200, got sumone pickn it up here soon and my other is in prty good condition, got a lil bit done to it, idk exactly what has been done to it cause it was my dad who was buildn the car. but it just needs alot of body work and a good paint job and im selln it for 1200. so tht leaves me with 6400. been hard findn a good camaro with an LS1 for tht cheap thts close ta where i live. i want a black one also and thts been hard ta find. but i guess im jus gunna have to look harder then. thanks tho. ill take tht advice.
    So that's 6400. That should be an easy sell at a bank, to get a loan of 2-4K, even a personal loan. Then you could have a decent LS1 Camaro.

Don't do the conversion thing!

Red
    1986 IROCZ

thanks alot for findn them for me. im gunna try and get tht red one.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Wait until you can afford/find an ls1 you like.

I had a '99 v6 Camaro before I got my '99z28. After I got my z28 I realized that I should have waited for the z28 as opposed to being impatient, and settling for the v6. I had my v6 a little under a year before I got my z28. Worlds of difference performance-wise(obviously), between the two, due to the bigger engine of the z28.

I had both of them at the same time for about a year. I daily drive the z28 and would start and drive the v6 once or twice a month just to keep fluids and such running and everything. After daily driving my z28, and being used to the power, everytime I would drive my 3.8 to the store or what not, to let it run, it felt SO slow and pathetic compared to my z28.

Agian, obviously due to the lack of two cylinders. I am not degrading the 3.8 at all, just sharing my past experiences with the two.

Had I had to do over again, I would have just waited another year until I found the ls1 z28.

Good luck finding an ls1 you can afford.
    Last edited by Badass WS6; 07-08-2010 at 11:08 PM.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    im thinkn about selling my 86 IROCZ so i can get a newer camaro but right now its kinda hard for me to make the money to do tht. i want a 98 or up camaro with an LS1 but i dnt think ill be able to buy one with an LS1 and will have to get a V6 first then later swap it out for an LS1 when i can find one for sale or in a scrap yard. what would be easier to do? buy a V6 for cheap than swap out the V6 for an LS1 when i can or just get one already with an LS1???
    If you live in a state that requires periodic smog tests, your vehicle will never pass with a V8 in it, when the vin tells the computer it was originally equiped with a V6.

SteveC

Silver
    2000 z28

I paid 2800 for mine on craigslist all stock w 220k miles but runs strong as hell still and the body is straight except behind the driver door looks like a shopping cart hit it or something he wanted 4700 but everyone is negotiable if you show up with cash ecspecially if they're in a bind
    2000 z28 granatelli lid k&n air filter 85mm maf sensor lakewood adjustable traction bars nitto drag radialsgot 3.73s but not installed yet waaaay more to come

Red
    1986 IROCZ

no i live in illinois and we dnt have them, my IROCZ has a V8 =) nit much done to it tho but its prty fast for wat it is lol and very loud =)

Thread Information