Thread: Ls 1 - Ls 6 ???

Light Gold
    2004 Nissan Patrol

Ls 1 - Ls 6 ???

Hello all, am new to this site and community but as I understood this is a gathering of LS engine freaks and who know all about them

I am planning on swapping an LS 1 into an old lets say 1989 - 1995 model Nissan Patrol swb.

Now my question is which one do you guys suggest on installing the LS 1 or the LS 6, lets say I am not going to modify it straight away in the beggining, maybe at a later stage I will stroke it but not at the start. Which one do you suggest, I need it to be reliable, powerfull and light.

One more thing, how to tell the difference between an LS 1 and LS 6, cause they kinda look similar.

Sorry if the questions are a bit silly, but I really don't know much about the LS engines YET

Thanks in advance,

Irakli

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The main difference between the LS1 and the LS6 is the heads. The LS6 has better flowing heads, which is why it makes 405HP instead of 350HP like the LS1. Both engines are the same size, and I believe they even use the same block.

As for which one to go with, thats entirely up to you. The LS6 would be more expensive, but it makes 55 more HP and 50 more ft/lbs of torque. So its basically an upgraded/more powerful LS1. Both are reliable and relatively light, its just a difference of power really.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Different cam too.

The price difference is not all that great. I remember looking at an engine replacement in a Z28 once, and it was only like 300 bucks more or so..

Light Gold
    2004 Nissan Patrol

Umm so will it be cheaper to get an LS1 and then the head of the LS 6 ??? or is it cheaper to go straight for an LS6 ?

How to tell the difference when you have scrap engines lined up ? LS1, LS6 they all look the same, what do I look at to know which is which ???

Thanks, this forum seems to be the LS place which I was looking for a long time now !!!

Black
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    The main difference between the LS1 and the LS6 is the heads. The LS6 has better flowing heads, which is why it makes 405HP instead of 350HP like the LS1. Both engines are the same size, and I believe they even use the same block.

As for which one to go with, thats entirely up to you. The LS6 would be more expensive, but it makes 55 more HP and 50 more ft/lbs of torque. So its basically an upgraded/more powerful LS1. Both are reliable and relatively light, its just a difference of power really.

If the price difference is only a couple hundred bucks then you need to go with the LS6, on top of having a bigger cam and better heads, they do use a different block. The bottom end on a LS6 is good for about 800 Hp naturaly asperated daily, and the LS1 is good for about 650 HP daily. So when you do decide to mod away at it, at least you know your bottom end will be up to the task without having to revitalize it.
    I bet many people didnt know that about the last 2000 F-Bodies got the Vette Cam and the LS6 block, but they still had the LS1 heads.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

An LS6 is for all intents and purposes is nothing more than a mild H/C LS1 and has the same bottom end.

All LS1 crate engines/short blocks are now LS6 blocks.

LS6 blocks didn't start showing up in some F-bodies until late 2001 and in some 2002s ...

Light Gold
    2004 Nissan Patrol

Ok so basically I get an LS 6 block rite ? How do I know which is LS1 and which is LS6 just by looking at it from the top ? not going for the cast numbers and etc etc ???

Also when was the LS6 blocks introduced in the vettes ???

Another thing, lets say to get about 500hp - max 550hp Naturally Aspirated from an LS1 - LS6 engine what kind of mods am I looking at ??? Stroker kits, headers, intake ?? what else ? and what would the best setup be, I mean brand wise, cause there are quiet a number who do these things for the LS ...

Thanks

Black
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Irakli
    Ok so basically I get an LS 6 block rite ? How do I know which is LS1 and which is LS6 just by looking at it from the top ? not going for the cast numbers and etc etc ???

Also when was the LS6 blocks introduced in the vettes ???

Another thing, lets say to get about 500hp - max 550hp Naturally Aspirated from an LS1 - LS6 engine what kind of mods am I looking at ??? Stroker kits, headers, intake ?? what else ? and what would the best setup be, I mean brand wise, cause there are quiet a number who do these things for the LS ...

Thanks
    Well here are the problems.... If your buying a crate motor from the factory, you will always get an LS6 block, as they do not produce the original LS1 Block anymore but you will end up paying alot more for something new wich is stupid when your just going to tear into it in about 20-30,000 miles, GM at the end of the 2001 Model year called upon there block manufacturer to give them something a little sturdier for the upcoming Vettes that they would begine building in 2004 (they use this 2-3 year period as a test phase for the new design.) So the last few F-Bodies and Vettes made in 2001 every once in a while by accident got the LS6 block because there were 2 different blocks in production at the same time. The amount of F-bodies and Vettes that recieved the LS6 block in 2002 was much greater but not all of them recieved it because again they were still using up the discontinued LS1 block.
    Cosmeticly from the outside they are almost identicle, all of the revisions were made on the inside of the block such as, stronger main webing, revised oiling, and the skirts around the pistons were recast to be able to flow more coolant and yet be stronger.
    The only way to tell a LS1 Block from an LS6 from the outside for sure is to look at the casting number wich unfortunately is on the back of the block invisable in the car. Either way dont go any further back than 2001 because the later 2001 and all 2002 got a revised LS6 style intake wich flowed alot more. (confusing yet??)

As far as mods go..... The very best thing you can do if you want to build a high horsepower engine is to stroke it. This opens much larger doors for more power down the road, a good stroker kit is expensive though, I am building a 427 LS1 and my stroker kit from Lunati is running me about $3500.00 but that set-up is good for about 1800 HP and 10000 RPM, the rods alone for my kit are $1200.00, I wouldnt recomend going that big though because whith a piston that big the block has to have the cast-in liners completely drilled out and then you will need a Dart or comparible sleeve kit installed, (another $1500.00 or more)
    To build something around 500-550 HP here is exactly what I would do....
    Get a fairly priced stroker kit.... Eagle makes great budget kits for around $2000.00 or less complete, (stick to around 400 Cubic inches and stay away from the huge pistons. Next up would be a good set of heads with around 225 CC intake ports, there are many manufactures starting to make these affordably but it will still run you around $2000 and remember... you get what you pay for. Next I would use the stock intake, it flows really well as is and unless you want to shell out $800.00 for an intake and another $500 for the right throttle body to fit it really doesnt make that much difference untill you reach around 5000 RPM, Next you will need a great cam, something with alot of lift and duration to fill those chambers, I only trust Comp Cams but there are other very respectable players in the market now. Next you will need a good free-flowing exaust, Dont use anything but full length headers. and last you will need a really good tuner to tune your PCM.
    With this set-up I have no doubt you would be in at least the 500 HP area or more. add an extra $500.00 for NOS and your over 650 HP when you want or need it, ohh.... and one more thing... Plan on spending around $500.00 in ARP fastners (all Pro-Series) dont cheap out on this because you wouldnt want to loose a $7000.00 motor to a bolt that you saved $50-$60 on.
    No matter what though, with an LS1 its gonna cost about $7000.00 to build a turn key 500-550 HP motor from scratch. And dont think the LS2 is the answer because they are just now available from the factory and even though they make 500 HP stock, and come with a 36000 mile warrenty, $12,000.00 is a bit too steep for me.
    Hope this helps and sorry for the long post

Black
    2002 Camaro

Do you need a tranny also???? The reason I ask is I am selling my engine and trans together with the wiring and computer for $4000.00
    Its a 2002 LS1 with the LS6 block, and 2002 Vette Cam installed from the factory. It also has the A4 transmission, and only 38000 miles on it.
    Let me know

Light Gold
    2004 Nissan Patrol

Thank you very much Chris, I think you cleared out nearly everything for me or is it everything already. No prob with the long post, read it and god the idea of about everything i need to know.

The reason is that here in the middle east we have a lot of old nissan patrol 2 doors that are used to stick in the chevy and blast to the dunes, now the locals here like you all know have loads of money, however im not local so i want it done reasonably priced and lasting enough... the locals dont use full headers or exhaust they let it out straight through the bonnet through long tubes no exhaust no header straight out, too much noice, less restriction.

In the summer it reaches about 50 degrees celcius here, so going to the desert isnt the best thing to do, howerver winter in the desert is just perfect. So I am hoping to get something done closer to winter. If you pass me your email address I will send you some pics and details of what I'm planning on doing here, and maybe you could suggest something better ?!

thanks a lot, will post more if something comes up

Thread Information