Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lq4 combination? ?

This is a discussion on Lq4 combination? ? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Jking - FBJ answer all I was going to say....he's my go to guy for tech info when I get ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Jking - FBJ answer all I was going to say....he's my go to guy for tech info when I get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    Whats the purpose of the vehicle? Weight? Trans? All this will be needed to say which cam would fit the best in your situation. And with a cam only setup on yours depending on Cam a set of 30s would be fine. A cam only 6.0 setup with 317 heads can get you 420-450 depending on how wild you want it. Of course a cam that makes power in high rpm will net you higer hp but less tq and vice versa
    It's my dd just want the added power here and there I'm not sure of the weight right now. I will be using a built 2004r this is how she sits right now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jking - FBJ answer all I was going to say....he's my go to guy for tech info when I get stuck.
    Thx now I know who to run to

FBJ what part of az are you from

Red
    99 Z28

With that being said going with something on the milder side won't get you your 450 but it will get ya like stated before 380-400 but will be very easy to DD. 228ish would be my guess with it being in a light car.

Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    With that being said going with something on the milder side won't get you your 450 but it will get ya like stated before 380-400 but will be very easy to DD. 228ish would be my guess with it being in a light car.
    What about a z06 cam

Cams are such a broad subject for different people. It really comes down to what you really desire out of the car and how tolerable you are to certain camshafts in daily drivability situations.

I tend to drive 260-270 @ .050 camshafts on the street with no complaints while others would hate it. However it's not something I'd want in a daily driver though.

For my wifes daily driver camaro, it happens to have a copy of the LS6 cam in it from Crane with 3 degrees more intake duration and the LSA tightened up to 112, and a faster ramp profile. So not a radical cam by any means, but great for her daily driver, made 370 rwhp and a very flat torque curve, so it's nice to drive (almost stock like) and still returns 30 mpg. I like to put alot of emphasis on torque curves and the overall power more than peak HP numbers though. Makes for a more enjoyable street car in my opinion.
    There are so many good aftermarket cams out there for these engines, I'd suggest talking to a supplier with your goals and expectations and pick a nice aftermarket grind along with the springs and pushrods, and then just leave the rest of the engine alone for now. I'd tend to lean towards a cam in the 230 @ .050 range, something similar to what Scott mentioned. Something in the 112-113 LSA range would daily drive nice with a broad power curve, along with a stall converter to compliment it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-24-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Is this a retro swap for an older car or is this something you're sticking in another 4th gen Fbody??

Navy Blue Metallic

Best advice I can give you is research and blueprint/plan out the build. Expect setbacks or hiccups.

I've been working on mine for a yr now, had some setbacks (<a cruel understatement) on a mechanical gremlin that I've been trying to track down for the last 6 months. Look over my build thread in my signature it may have answers to questions you haven't thought of yet.

I knew my block had a questionable cyl because it was a hydrolock, so I planned for it and had the blocked checked out. #8 was just on the edge of tolerance so for longevity I had them bore it out 0.005" because at the time it was suppose to be a quick budget build. If I had know it was going to be this long it would have been bored 0.030" and made into a 408ci like I wanted. Oh well lesson learn. I also had the shop magna-flux, check bearing clearance for new cam and arp-studs for main, & check the head surface for flat/level. Cost was around $700.

Now my heads I got for $450 and had to do a complete head job on them ($400). Even though they had some miles and where in great shape I still needed to replace all the valve guides, reset the valve heights to work with new springs, clean up/polish valves and seat. In the end I have a new set of heads.

My build is:

LQ4 block - bored to 4.005" with stock crank
    SCAT Forged I Beam 6.125" rods
    DSS 4.005" flat top pistons w/ -3cc relief
    Polluter Stg 3 cam 239/244/ 112+3
    243 heads
    BTR Dual Platinum Springs (matched for the cam)
    LS6 Intake (for now)
    42# injectors
    Melling 10296 HV/HO Oil Pump
    ARP Bolts & Studs

Fixing to install LS7 lifters in hopes it fixes my gremlin issue. If this doesn't fix it I'm pulling the motor and doing a 408.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Best advice I can give you is research and blueprint/plan out the build. Expect setbacks or hiccups.

I've been working on mine for a yr now, had some setbacks (<a cruel understatement) on a mechanical gremlin that I've been trying to track down for the last 6 months. Look over my build thread in my signature it may have answers to questions you haven't thought of yet.

I knew my block had a questionable cyl because it was a hydrolock, so I planned for it and had the blocked checked out. #8 was just on the edge of tolerance so for longevity I had them bore it out 0.005" because at the time it was suppose to be a quick budget build. If I had know it was going to be this long it would have been bored 0.030" and made into a 408ci like I wanted. Oh well lesson learn. I also had the shop magna-flux, check bearing clearance for new cam and arp-studs for main, & check the head surface for flat/level. Cost was around $700.

Now my heads I got for $450 and had to do a complete head job on them ($400). Even though they had some miles and where in great shape I still needed to replace all the valve guides, reset the valve heights to work with new springs, clean up/polish valves and seat. In the end I have a new set of heads.

My build is:

LQ4 block - bored to 4.005" with stock crank
    SCAT Forged I Beam 6.125" rods
    DSS 4.005" flat top pistons w/ -3cc relief
    Polluter Stg 3 cam 239/244/ 112+3
    243 heads
    BTR Dual Platinum Springs (matched for the cam)
    LS6 Intake (for now)
    42# injectors
    Melling 10296 HV/HO Oil Pump
    ARP Bolts & Studs

Fixing to install LS7 lifters in hopes it fixes my gremlin issue. If this doesn't fix it I'm pulling the motor and doing a 408.

This is very sound advice also you are likely to not stick to a budget even if you have one. I rushed into a build because I wanted to get it done quick it was going to be a 396 (ls6 block with a 4.125 stroke) high compression NA only build. I switched to lq9 block sold the pistons and cam designed for it and kept with the high compression build and bought new pistons for my new 421 ci build. I then decided to go with a FI high compression build so I we be selling the pistons again lol.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is this a retro swap for an older car or is this something you're sticking in another 4th gen Fbody??
    Retro swap. I'm building a 81 malibu

Red
    99 Z28

Honestly for what your wanting and relatively small cam will work for you. Just check around for a used one that ya like and buy it throw it in have some fun and re sell it when you switch over to a Turbo setup. LS6 cam will do both jobs just not as good.

Red
    99 Z28

If you go blower the brute speed cam has made some nice na gains and work well with the small prochargers

I was looking at this cam lol the sad is I don't understand exactly how a cam works so reading up on cams is like reading Chinese
    Comp cam part# 54-460-11

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

We have an in-depth sticky on here in the general help section on how camshafts work and what all the nomenclature means. I believe Hi-Po wrote it several years back.
    It's on jackstands.

Hey guy it's me again is there a write up on this site that tells how to rewire a 98 camaro ls1 harness so that it work with my set up

Thx to FBJ my stand alone harness is almost done I have to extend my wires and add in the deutsch connectors and I'll be done

Navy Blue Metallic

Lq4 combination? ?

Forgot about this thread but op if you copy my build I know you'll make 450.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information