Thread: LQ Motor Work?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

LQ Motor Work?

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I have a 01' WS-6 Trans Am M-6 that had the roller part of a lifter basically lose a 1/4 of it in the motor. Was wanting to save the motor if possible, but seems unlikely considering the amount of metal that has gone through it. I found an company that has several variations of LQ4 (or LQ9, not sure) motors, with HP varying from 405 up to over 500. I'm content with the 405 hp (iron block) and speaking with the rep, he says I'd need to drill a hole to mount the alternator and get a dyno tune, but everything else otherwise would bolt up and work.

Does this sound correct to you guys? Has anyone tried one of these motors in their cars before? I understand it is a truck motor (the LQ9) in the Escalade, but there's no replacement for displacement and that rating is pretty nice!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Shouldn't have to drill anything. Your accessories should replace those on the iron block to make it a fairly easy swap. Tune will be necessary though

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

i have a 99 T/A that the lifter did the same thing but the lifter ate the lifter bore in the ls1. so i bought an lq9 which was a gm test engine. it only had 100 miles on it. there is a boss on the engine that you must drill and tap to mount the alternator but that is it. everything else is the same. my ls1 was stock and so was the 6.0 and the stock computer ran it fine.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by bluonblk99 View Post
    i have a 99 T/A that the lifter did the same thing but the lifter ate the lifter bore in the ls1. so i bought an lq9 which was a gm test engine. it only had 100 miles on it. there is a boss on the engine that you must drill and tap to mount the alternator but that is it. everything else is the same. my ls1 was stock and so was the 6.0 and the stock computer ran it fine.
    ^thats correct i have an lq4 block sitting in my garage right now!!!

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

but with 405 hp the motor at least has a cam in it so the computer will have to be tuned

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    ^thats correct i have an lq4 block sitting in my garage right now!!!
    Didn't know that
    learn something new every day

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

you will have to use your stock oil pan too idk if the crate motor will come with a truck pan or not just thought i would let you know.
    slp lid, lq9 6.0, ls6 heads, 228/230 .585 cam, comp springs, pp ls2 96mm typhoon intake, holley 90mm tb, ls3 injectors, ps long tubes, ory pipe, borla cat back, eibach sportline springs, spohn lower control arms, speed density tune, c6 zo6 wheels

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've read there can be some issues with getting a T56 manual trans to work with some LQ4/LQ9s, but I can't find the exact info. I believe there is something different with the rear of the crank the doesn't work with the pilot bearing or something. Hopefully the company setting you up with the LQx knows this and is giving you the correct crankshaft that'll work with the T56

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I've read there can be some issues with getting a T56 manual trans to work with some LQ4/LQ9s, but I can't find the exact info. I believe there is something different with the rear of the crank the doesn't work with the pilot bearing or something. Hopefully the company setting you up with the LQx knows this and is giving you the correct crankshaft that'll work with the T56
    ^ this is ture but i think its only on the "older" LQ engines like 99-01 or something!

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

that idk my motor is an 04 all i had to do was put a pilot bearing in and that was it so you might want to check up on that.

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

i havealways heard the older 6.0s had issues but im not for sure what they were.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

01 and earlier have a different length crank hub in the rear. You can't run a manual transmission behind it as the flywheel and starter will not align.

With an LQ4 and LQ9 you have to drill and tap a hole for your alternator. You have to run your LS1 oil pan and pick up on it along with the rest of your accessories and intake setup. Essentially you're just using the block.

Thread Information