Silver
    96 T/A

Low Trac light problem

Every time I stop at a red light, my 96 T/A almost comes to a stop, surges a few feet, the "LOW TRAC" light flashes for a second, then the car stops. It almost feels like the pedal is pulsing at the same time. Any ideas???? I put it on the scanner and no error codes came up to indicate a wheel sensor coming on. Any ideas?

RED
    2001 CAMARO Z

brakes maybe?

Black
    98 T/A

Mine did that too...Had air in the brake lines. Didn't bleed the front left well enough when I changed calipers. Suppose worn calipers or cracked piston can cause a problem.

Your ABS light may come on soon.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Start to drive with your traction control off and you would see that problem go away.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Mine did the same thing after i swapped diff's in my rearend. Long story short(i know why it was doing that), i pulled the ABS fuse and dont have ABS anymore. I dont drive my car in anything but dry weather though so it was no big deal for me.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Bad/dirty ABS wheel sensor or ABS module. Pull the fuse as stated above and it will stop.

Silver
    96 T/A

Pulled the fuse but the abs and low trac lights both stayed on in the dash. That is far more irritating than the original issue so I put the fuse back

1968 Cutlass 350 auto red
    2000 z-28 6 spd. White

sometimes when i try and stop real fast my pedal bounces and does a similar thing

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoboy9899 View Post
    Pulled the fuse but the abs and low trac lights both stayed on in the dash. That is far more irritating than the original issue so I put the fuse back
    But did it stop the pedal from pulsing? it should have?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

There are several things that cause this. One is if the rear brakes are worn out. The proportioning block only sends something like 40% or less of your applied pedal input to the rears and if the rear brakes are worn more than the fronts (like if you only change the front pads and not the rears) you end up with less actual applied brake in the rear. The traction control system on 96 and 97's was Very sensitive. If you have an automatic the trans down shifts as you slow down and as it shifts to first it will cause a small drag or surge in the drive line. This causes the tire to move out of sync with the front and the abs sensors pick this up and activate the traction system.
    Another possible problem is the sensors them self. If you have a lot of build up of metallic grains on the end of the sensor or on the abs ring it will cause this. If you get a little oil on the abs ring and metallic grains form in one spot more than others they can become magnetically charged and make the sensor read a lock up condition. Clean them very good and make sure you have good pads in the back. If you don’t have a 4 ring abs system the 3rd is in the rear end housing mounted next to the ring gear I believe. I would pull your rear pads and check them for cracks, wear, and pad life. If that’s not it look at the sensors and abs rings at all 4 corners and clean them with a nylon brush and light cleaner.

Thread Information