Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

low resolution pulse code 16

My car started hesitating and the check engine light came on. I am getting a low resolution code #16. I read in the manual and it came back to be the distributor. Does anyone know how to test it to see if that is really the problem? Could it be the ignition control module?

If I remember correctly if the car is running 16 is a "stored" code, if it was active the car wouldn't start. I'd try clearing it/reset the PCM first and see what happens. Visit shbox.com and see if he has a procedure to check the ICM.

Found this, maybe it'll help: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test Has a diagram within the link too.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

ok i pulled the plugs out and found that 3 of them were not firing right. checked the gap and 4 of them were off. I checked what the spec was on the gap for my motor and it said 50. I gaped them to 50 and put them back in. The car fired right up better than it ever has. I let it warm up a bit i took it for a drive. If you take it easy or floor it the car runs good but at about 50mph in 5th gear if you go to give it a lil gas it is like it misses. I have never had the cat replaced. I am going to take it off and just run with the flowmaster. I don't have emmisions. Do you think that could be causing that?

Don't know if that's the issue or not, but at least it's running better and no codes. Can't remember if the '95 has a rear 02 to monitor the cat and throw a code if it takes a dump. I would've replaced all the plugs after finding issues with some, if for no other reason just to eliminate them as the problem.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

plugs don't have 50miles on them. I got the acdelco rapid fire plugs thinking they would be good. The o2s is in the front of the cat and none after the cat

Ah OK, they weren't gapped correctly when installed.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

no the guy at the autoparts store told me what ever you do donot gap these plugs. said they were already gaped. I should have known better. My temp sensor went out to could that cause it to run bad. The car is not running hot. the temp gauge is working cause it will heat up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not familiar with obd1 but on an obd2 car a bad temp sensor will make the car run like ass.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

put a new temp sensor on it and no difference. The car will drive smoth if you are on level ground. I am about to order a new distributor.

Thread Information