Low oil Pressure at low RPMS

This is a discussion on Low oil Pressure at low RPMS within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm having this problem in my daughtor's Plymouth Neon, but figured you guys would have some recommendations anyway. It is ...

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Low oil Pressure at low RPMS

I'm having this problem in my daughtor's Plymouth Neon, but figured you guys would have some recommendations anyway. It is a 2001 with 74k miles, but was abused by it's previous owner. It's pretty worn out.

Anyway, she is getting a low oil pressure light when idling at stop lights, and once the engine gets warmed up, it stays on. The valves have always clattered like a diesel (it's not a diesel) but I can't tell a difference in the sound when the oil pressure light is on.

Any suggestions? Should I try a heavier weight oil like 10w40? I need to get one more year out of this car. My daughtor is going to college in August, and my son is turning 16 in August. He'll get his license in December, and I'm sure he'll wreck it within a year, so I don't want to buy something else until he's had his first accident.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We have an '04 Dodge Stratus that had the same issue. I'll never forget the telephone call from my wife when she was about 40 miles from home one morning -- "Hey, the oil light has been coming on in the car. I forgot to tell you about it last night."

I tapped in a master pressure gauge, duct taped it to the windshield and went for a ride. Turned out our oil pressure was ok -- just a defective sender. Same as yours, at idle the engine clatters a bit. Has been this way since we bought the car in '06.

Hope yours has the same problem.

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

That would be awesome if it is was just the sender. I took a quick look at it to make sure it wasn't a loose wire or something, and the sending unit is fairly easy to get to. Iwon;t have to dismantle much to replace it. I may just replace it (I think the part is like $15). If it's not the problem, I'm only out $15.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Still not a bad idea to hook a gauge up to it to be sure. You will most likely need a special socket to install the new sender. It's not something you want to use vice grips on. I purchased the socket at Autozone for a few bucks.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Any suggestions? Should I try a heavier weight oil like 10w40?
    If its really that noisey, I would try a heavier oil then that. Maybe a 20w50. or a 15w40

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is the motor a 2.4 SOHC? If so, they tend to be top end noisy. Ours has 80,000 plus miles and runs like a champ.

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is the motor a 2.4 SOHC? If so, they tend to be top end noisy. Ours has 80,000 plus miles and runs like a champ.
    No, I think it is a 2.0 liter. I think the car was serioulsly abused by the previous owner. it only gets 20 mpg.

Awaiting Activation
    Dump some 20/50 in it and call it a day.-----------

Thread Information