Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Low Oil Light & Springs Questions

Q1) Low Oil Light - mine comes on every once in a while. I go and check on level ground and dip stick shows within proper levels. Oil Pressure is always between 40 - 60 on gauge. Before you ask I have a 98' and it is a brand new oil pressure sender. I see no leaks on drive way, no smoke from pipes, or signs of a head gasket leak. I did have a few PCV line leaks that where fixed last week, but again no oil leaks. The drive way is on a 25 to 30 degree incline. My fear is oil pump is going to go soon? Or is it because of the incline?

Q2) Rear springs - (part 1) how do you know when these need to be replaced? I have new OEM shocks and I still bottom out, by this I don't just mean ORY rub on the road, I mean I feel my axle hits hard against the body.
    Are these that weak?

(part 2) I know that the Jounce Bumper stops are long gone. But to me it seems that it is just too far of a distance for the axle travel and hit like that when there are shocks and springs there. I plan on getting 17" wheels and already have the 17" wheel extenders, just need to order the Jounce stops. Does these stops really keep the axle that far away?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well...my GTO sits on an incline as well. Maybe a soft 40 degree incline. My low oil light never comes on. So my guess is the pump may be on the way out. Is it the factory unit in your car?

As for the rear springs, there are multiple variables i.e. staggered/larger wheels, rearend work(adj. panhard bar, torque arm, etc) but if the car has high miles, then I would look into replacing the rear springs to maybe level the car or give the car a menacing raked look.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Also, didn't the 4th gens come with an oil level sensor? That could be going out.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Well...my GTO sits on an incline as well. Maybe a soft 40 degree incline. My low oil light never comes on. So my guess is the pump may be on the way out. Is it the factory unit in your car?

As for the rear springs, there are multiple variables i.e. staggered/larger wheels, rearend work(adj. panhard bar, torque arm, etc) but if the car has high miles, then I would look into replacing the rear springs to maybe level the car or give the car a menacing raked look.
    Yes it is the infamous 98 LS1 oil Pump.

Also, didn't the 4th gens come with an oil level sensor? That could be going out.
    Not sure?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yah. Cant remember either. I think it bolted into the side of the oil pan.

Navy Blue Metallic

Then I think I got one. If I'm right it is on the passenger side of the pan and the clip is a PITA to get off because it has a casing around it. You need a very short flat head to get it to come off.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Then that could be on the way out if it has never been replaced.

Navy Blue Metallic

now if I get new springs I see that most lower then an 1 to 1.5" Will that effect 17" wheels? not sure if I really want to lower...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Not lower...lift the rear.

Navy Blue Metallic

I would like that. Give it some attitude. What springs would you recommend?

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Then I think I got one. If I'm right it is on the passenger side of the pan and the clip is a PITA to get off because it has a casing around it. You need a very short flat head to get it to come off.
    Correct.

It's on the side of the oil pan. I just replaced mine and it cost about $23 from GM. My oil level light was staying on all the time (and I think i'm hearing lifter tick) so i thought I might need a thicker oil after 96K miles. I bumped up to 10W-40 and the light stayed on even when full. I then swapped the oil level sensor and it STILL stayed on. I then started noticing that if my car was parked on a decline at work that when I started it the light would NOT go on. Id park my car level, then start it and move to the decline and shut it off, then immediately start it again. It would somehhow trigger the light to go off. After that, the light stopped coming on....until last night when I was getting ready to go home, lol. But now I think I'm actually low.....or getting close.....since the light wasn't on this morn on the way to work.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm starting to think that our engines consume oil when they get into the higher miles. Mines got 129k on it as of lunch. I went to parts store and grab some oil. Yeah I was low, but this is like one time out of 20.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    Correct.

It's on the side of the oil pan. I just replaced mine and it cost about $23 from GM. My oil level light was staying on all the time (and I think i'm hearing lifter tick) so i thought I might need a thicker oil after 96K miles. I bumped up to 10W-40 and the light stayed on even when full. I then swapped the oil level sensor and it STILL stayed on. I then started noticing that if my car was parked on a decline at work that when I started it the light would NOT go on. Id park my car level, then start it and move to the decline and shut it off, then immediately start it again. It would somehhow trigger the light to go off. After that, the light stopped coming on....until last night when I was getting ready to go home, lol. But now I think I'm actually low.....or getting close.....since the light wasn't on this morn on the way to work.

Are you with 6LE Designs?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yup. I checked mine and I am low. I have 81k on mine but I think my rear main seal might be on its way out.

Navy Blue Metallic

Yup. I checked mine and I am low. I have 81k on mine but I think my rear main seal might be on its way out.
    Rear main in mine I know is good. Just checked it a few weeks ago while installing new bell housing. that was the first thing I checked when it was off.

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Are you with 6LE Designs?
    I sure am!

Thread Information