Looking at this Trans Am

This is a discussion on Looking at this Trans Am within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. If not it ...

Looking at this Trans Am

Hi I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. If not it can be moved by someone I hope.

So I'm looking at this Trans Am and I've never bought one before. I'm not sure what to look for when buying one or what kind of questions I should be asking. Haven't contacted him yet since I want to be prepared Any and all input will be much appreciated!

Here's what I know so far about it:
    1998 TA
    Bright Metallic Green
    Auto with T-Tops
    "Runs and Drives Mint"
    No check engine light is on

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

No problem, I've added so links that will help you below.

Here you go....

Guide to Buying a Fbody

Differences between the f-body years

- - - Updated - - -

So what's the asking price?

So far he's asking 4000 I KBB it and it's just shy of 4000 so I'm not sure if there's any bargaining with it on his end. I mean I've seen these go for 10-19k granted the miles and shape are a big factor. I just don't know if this is too good to be true or not.

Navy Blue Metallic

Your not going to see those prices unless it is like #1 or some other super rare low mileage car.

might be worth the look. The color is rare, IIRC on in 98 yrs. I have a 98' and prefer them.

Pros - no "chicken pox" issues, door panels don't crack and the gauges are true not static. Get rid of the EGR crap, get a LS6 intake and some LT headers and it runs great, better with 243 heads.

Neg - 97-98 oil pumps are an issue. Doesn't like high revs and prone to fail with high miles. Something to think about.

Navy Blue Metallic

My biggest concern is your location, MA, correct?

Rust. Need to look for it.

Well I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mod it if it's high mileage? Do you think the price is fair for what it is? Yea I know rust is a big one over here so I will be on the look out for that. Is there anything else minor or major to look for? I own a 3rd Gen TA and I wish I checked out more things before I bought it..

What other pro's and con's are there?
    And I don't know what IIRC and "chicken pox" are lol sorry

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

He is probably referring to the sail panel bubbling issue. Crappy glue seeps through the panel causing the panels paint to bubble. Can't fix it without completely replacing the panel with a new one using a different adhesive.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Navy Blue Metallic

Looking at this Trans Am

yes to above and IIRC = if i remember correctly
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

few things.....mainly because I'm favoring the - symbol today for some reason.

- asking price of $4k means he would take $3500 for sure and could probably argue him into the $3000-$3200 range.
    - a 98 with 150k miles is going to be really easy to find things to show him why it isn't worth $4k.
    - "no check engine light on" means to me "the check engine light was on but I fixed it" so ask what problems he's had with the car.
    - look at the exhaust really well and see if it's been modded such as having the cats removed. If they're removed and no engine light then it's had mods done and either a tune or simulators put in to keep the light off or the engine light bulb has been tampered with. Easy way to check the later is all the lights will come on when you turn the key to run.
    - I'm a fan of that color. Seen a couple of those although they're fairly rare in 98 I believe. Might be something worth looking up to see how many of those were built in 98.

did a quick search for that color.....bright green metallic was code 31. Didn't find any solid numbers other than there were only around 2500 total between 98 and 99 in that color. Didn't really find anything yet that broke it down to firebirds and TA's. I would say that's probably going to end up being a pretty rare color combo if that's the original color.
    Last edited by 0rion; 02-03-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Ok so most of the things on the list from the link check out. So far the only issues are is that it needs tires and the hood and fender need to be painted along with maybe clear coat on the body

Navy Blue Metallic

did you drive it? And for how long?

I tried to get it warmed up at idle for 15-20 mins and road test it for 20-30. That way if it's codes have been cleared they will pop back on during that time period.

I went all the way to OK to look at a Firehawk. No kidding, we were heading to do the paperwork when a rocker failed. Lucky for me too that it happen then and not 30 mins later down the road.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-04-2015 at 10:46 AM.

No I haven't drove it yet I wanted to find out what I can before I make the trip. Yeah I'd be bull shit if that happened to me. Any idea if its worth it or not?

Navy Blue Metallic

couldn't hurt to look.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Every car I've owned I have taken for a drive prior to purchase.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

That's a crazy story! A rocker failed as you were driving? Unreal. .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    did you drive it? And for how long?

I tried to get it warmed up at idle for 15-20 mins and road test it for 20-30. That way if it's codes have been cleared they will pop back on during that time period.

I went all the way to OK to look at a Firehawk. No kidding, we were heading to do the paperwork when a rocker failed. Lucky for me too that it happen then and not 30 mins later down the road.
    My previous quote was for you. ...crazy!

Thread Information