Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Looking for a new shifter for my WS6

I picked up my WS6 in the winter, and now that the nice weather has hit, I've decided to start with some small mods. I've noticed that the one thing I hate most is the stock shifter. It doesn't shift in one quick smooth throw, but rather a pop into neutral followed by another pop into the gear I'm pushing it towards. It also required me to repeadly shove it over and over if I want to downshift into first or second as I decelerate.

My dad has a new six speed Acura TL. I love the shifter on it, I can shift as fast as I can flick my wrist up or down. I'd like to add a shifter like this to my WS6. Any reccomendations for a lot smoother and quicker shifter?

black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

B&M or pro 5.0 seem to be the most popular ones out there. I have the pro 5.0 could be better.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by cascade
    I've noticed that the one thing I hate most is the stock shifter. It doesn't shift in one quick smooth throw, but rather a pop into neutral followed by another pop into the gear I'm pushing it towards. It also required me to repeadly shove it over and over if I want to downshift into first or second as I decelerate.
    DONT DOWNSHIFT INTO FIRST! anyways, i have the slp short throw... and its perfect for driving hard, very short and direct. As far as "less intense" driving (since my TA is my daily driver) the shifter would feel more comfortable if it was a little easier to move. I've heard of counterbalanced shifters that make shifting easier... but i'm not sure if any are made for the t 56.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

freshduckie
    I have the short shifter from WS6 store, is cheap like 25 bucks, but its just a shorter shaft, about 6 in long I think

Jeff Florian
    Check EBay. I am very happy with the one I bought. Good price, like $25 and a good height. I think it was made by Jarod, Jared, or something like that. I was very hesitant to go lower than stock (I had the Hurst option) but like I said, I am very happy with it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I recently installed a Pro 5.0 shifter in my WS6, and I've been very happy with it. Couldn't ask for a more precise shift.

I think Pro 5.0 is about the best you will find, got mine for $162 shipped on eBay Motors

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The main problem with the stock shifter is it's got a rubber vibration dampner in the stick. This gives a rubbery feel to the shifts. Changing to a different shifter gives a totally different feel ,and sometimes a slight noise (a small price to pay and barely noticeable). I wanted to get a Pro 5.0 but they shut down their factory for a period of time around the Christmas holidays (like a month) and then I would have had to wait for their backlog to clear up. Rather than wait a couple months I bought a Kirbin-very similar to the Pro 5.0 design. I would say get the Pro 5.0 if you can,it could be a better shifter. I then shortened the stick (cut and welded it about an 1.5") and got a Hurst pistol grip shift handle to top it off. Get alot of compliments on the handle-I am happy with this set-up. That and the skip shift eliminator make a world of difference over stock.

Thread Information