Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Long winter!!!Bought an ls6 intake how do I take ribs off

This is a discussion on Long winter!!!Bought an ls6 intake how do I take ribs off within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SMWS6TA ^^^ this is what the coolant bypass kit looks like installed (also the LS6 valley cover ...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^^

this is what the coolant bypass kit looks like installed (also the LS6 valley cover tray)

Click for full size

I did it this because at the time I didn't want to dremel down the fins on the intake. I did do it for a buddies intake because he wanted to keep the LS1 style coolant tubes.

The above post is correct in that GM motors all have this design in the pic above.

You have 2 options:

Option 1 - dremel the fins and install. as long as you shave them all down you will not have any vacuum leaks or fitment issues.

Option 2 - get the bypass kit and install.

Either way you go you'll be ok.
    You will have a leak. (not a perfect seal even with new gaskets) Sorry guys.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Idle, IAC counts, Fuel trims values were all normal with an LS6 intake on LS1 crossover. I had no leaks what so ever even after removing and placing the intake back on several time reusing gaskets.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You can definitely dremel the fins down and get an LS6 intake over the LS1 coolant pipes. I did. But when and if you convert over to a LS6 valley cover/pcv, I think the LS1 pipes won't fit so you'll have to run the LS6 crossover and rear plugs. Thats what I did anyways.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    You will have a leak. (not a perfect seal even with new gaskets) Sorry guys.

If you follow the pattern in the help thread you should have no leaks. I know because I've done this to 2 cars already and neither one has had any issues (it's been over 8 months now for both). Both owners did not choose to do the LS6 coolant cross over kit like I did on mine. That was their choice. But we did do a vacuum leak test all around the intake and had no leaks.

Navy Blue Metallic

Well my engine was forced induction and the LS1 coolant crossovers caused the leak. So this proves that with a naturally aspirated engine, you still do not have a perfect seal. You'll notice seepage around the intake ports more with the LS1 coolant crossover than with the LS6 coolant crossover.

I will agree that if the fins were not all grind down you'll have vacuum leak issues but that would show with NA as well. I will also agree that the cross over kit would be best for FI but it is not necessary required for a NA motor.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Obviously (from what I am reading) everyone for no apparent reason has done the same tests I have done.

I ground down all of the ribs and even applied grease to the coolant crossovers. When I installed, torqued then removed the intake, the grease was flattened and pushed completely off of the coolant crossover. I then slightly flattened (ovaled) the sections of the coolant crossover that were making contact, reinstalled, torqued and then removed the intake. Guess what, same issue. It warps the intake and you will notice excessive leaking at the ports. You shouldn't have any oil seep past this seal but you do. Now install the LS6 coolant crossovers and you will see no seepage. There is a right way and a wrong way of doing this mod.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Obviously (from what I am reading) everyone for no apparent reason has done the same tests I have done.

I ground down all of the ribs and even applied grease to the coolant crossovers. When I installed, torqued then removed the intake, the grease was flattened and pushed completely off of the coolant crossover. I then slightly flattened (ovaled) the sections of the coolant crossover that were making contact, reinstalled, torqued and then removed the intake. Guess what, same issue. It warps the intake and you will notice excessive leaking at the ports. You shouldn't have any oil seep past this seal but you do. Now install the LS6 coolant crossovers and you will see no seepage. There is a right way and a wrong way of doing this mod.

Well I bought the kit from Thunder Racing 2 plugs and a crossover tube for 45 bucks. I don't think shaving the fins is worth it if I can do it right for 45 dollars but thats just me !!!

Navy Blue Metallic

OP did you get my PM response about the other questions you had?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information