Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

long tube headers

This is a discussion on long tube headers within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 I also found that the car drove like crap with just LT headers on, my throttle ...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I also found that the car drove like crap with just LT headers on, my throttle response was pretty bad.
    Cars need backpressure to run correctly.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Yeah that's what I'm going to do just sweet the lt headers aside until I get the y pipe shouldn't be long

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I also found that the car drove like crap with just LT headers on, my throttle response was pretty bad.
    Yep, I know I just forgot to say that.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

White/Blue
    1999 Trans Am Ws.6

What eBay headers are you guys talking about.. and what kinda of fitment do they have I know GTP headers off eBay have horrible fitment issues

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Another option that is very affordable is Pacesetter LT's and ORY. I would have said TS&P ORY but they redesigned their ORY a yr ago and I've heard reports of some fitment issues.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

First you might want to check our vendors out. But I know you can get ceramic coated headers and a Y pipe for $369.99. PM me for the details if you would like.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 07-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Can't find them in eBay what do you type in to pull them up

White/Blue
    1999 Trans Am Ws.6

These don't have any fitment issues

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

if you wanna save money, skip out on the LT's and just get a bigger Y pipe and high flow cats. Can anybody here tell me how well that works vs getting Lt's done?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    if you wanna save money, skip out on the LT's and just get a bigger Y pipe and high flow cats. Can anybody here tell me how well that works vs getting Lt's done?
    the Y pipe isn't where the gains are.....it's from the headers. Huge gains going to headers vs just swapping the Y and cats.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I guess that's why all the cars at the drag strip run so poorly. Open headers.

You "may" lose about 1% torque with open headers, but the HP will be up vs. a closed exhaust system. The peak may be a bit higher in the RPM range, but cars do not need backpressure to run correctly.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What 0rion said. You can slap a catback onto a stock exhaust system and maybe get around 5-10 hp. Long tube headers are where the greatest gain can be had. Just changing out the Y-pipe doesn't get you anything as you will still be restricted upstream and downstream, unless you have a catback already.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I guess that's why all the cars at the drag strip run so poorly. Open headers.

You "may" lose about 1% torque with open headers, but the HP will be up vs. a closed exhaust system. The peak may be a bit higher in the RPM range, but cars do not need backpressure to run correctly.
    You are wrong. Cars do need back pressuer to run correctly ! Street cars, cars with PCM's, cars that meet emmissions. Drag cars are built to run open headers. not street cars.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Boothe View Post
    What eBay headers are you guys talking about.. and what kinda of fitment do they have I know GTP headers off eBay have horrible fitment issues

OBX headers, I had NO fittment issues what so ever other than the usual stuff getting them in place but had no clearence issues and have great ground clearence

Black
    99 Trans Am

Thanks for your help guys.I installed Hooker Super Comps and tied them into the stock y and the SLP 3'' Cat Back.Great sound and power increase.Not a job I would ever want to do again,but worth it I think.I also changed the Diff oil to 75w130 synthetic with additive and it seems to have decreased the noise from the diff.I couldn't find any debris in the old diff oil so I guess the diff may live for another while yet,thanks again-BR427.

White/Blue
    1999 Trans Am Ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    OBX headers, I had NO fittment issues what so ever other than the usual stuff getting them in place but had no clearence issues and have great ground clearence
    Are the obx a good fit with the y pipe from Texas speed

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You are wrong. Cars do need back pressuer to run correctly ! Street cars, cars with PCM's, cars that meet emmissions. Drag cars are built to run open headers. not street cars.
    Anything you can do to an engine to improve airflow in or out helps efficiency. Engines are air pumps. Low restriction intake, high flow exhaust, no/low back pressure, all help volumetric efficiency. All to help it run more ''correctly'' and make more power. Isn't that what we are all after? Doesn't matter whether or not it's PCM controlled, street cars, old carbureted cars, whatever. If you are talking about reversion with open headers giving a false O2 reading to the PCM, then yeah, you don't want open headers, and that may be your point, but I stand by my earlier statement.

What do you mean by run ''correctly''? What kind of studies have led you to believe it? Why do cars make more power with a low restriction/low backpressure exhaust if they need some backpressure? I can't give you web pages of (possible) mis-information, but I've been around long enough and seen enough results in different car magazines with dyno testing over the decades to support my view. Certainly there may be a few isolated engine designs that work better with a somewhat restrictive exhaust in lower RPM operation, but not for any type of peak performance results.

Not trying to start an argument, but looking for how/where you got your info. I'm always ready to learn something.
    Smittro likes this.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Anything you can do to an engine to improve airflow in or out helps efficiency. Engines are air pumps. Low restriction intake, high flow exhaust, no/low back pressure, all help volumetric efficiency. All to help it run more ''correctly'' and make more power. Isn't that what we are all after? Doesn't matter whether or not it's PCM controlled, street cars, old carbureted cars, whatever. If you are talking about reversion with open headers giving a false O2 reading to the PCM, then yeah, you don't want open headers, and that may be your point, but I stand by my earlier statement.

What do you mean by run ''correctly''? What kind of studies have led you to believe it? Why do cars make more power with a low restriction/low backpressure exhaust if they need some backpressure? I can't give you web pages of (possible) mis-information, but I've been around long enough and seen enough results in different car magazines with dyno testing over the decades to support my view. Certainly there may be a few isolated engine designs that work better with a somewhat restrictive exhaust in lower RPM operation, but not for any type of peak performance results.

Not trying to start an argument, but looking for how/where you got your info. I'm always ready to learn something.
    So what I gather is I can fab up some long tubes with 3" primary's into a 6" stove pipe and unlimited power? From what I've learned on this matter is your exhaust size does indeed need to be matched with your H.P. And the rpm band, back pressure is not needed but the size of the system matters. Smaller pipe increases volicity and in fact allowes the gases to move faster also heat also causes the gases to flow faster, the larger the pipe the cooler gasses get before the exit. the lower the power band the smaller the pipe, if your power is at increased rpm the larger the pipe but again still needs to be sized correct. Cars with PCMs need to be able to adjust air to fuel mixture and O2's do that with open headers in time could cause a lean condition. Every part of the mod needs to be matched from intake of air to exit of exhaust and everything in between. I've also read and seen dyno runs that bolt mufflers to the headers to get the most power from the motor thay are testing it for sure isn't for sound thay do that..there is plenty info on this just google it ! Some motor set ups open headers all the way but others do need a matched exhaust for performance, I even read where Lamborghini uses a two stage primary 2" for low rpm and opens to a 3" at higher rpm's

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Plus whats a little loss of back pressure when your runnin a 1000 + HP race car?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information