Results 1 to 13 of 13

Lock cylinders

This is a discussion on Lock cylinders within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i need to buy new Lock cylinders for both doors and trunk...now my question is when i order them from ...

  1. #1
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937

    Lock cylinders

    i need to buy new Lock cylinders for both doors and trunk...now my question is when i order them from gmpartsdirect will they all come with diff keys?? and do i need to order 2 Lock cylinders for the doors or they come in pairs??

  2. #2
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Lock cylinders are sold individually and usually they are assembled to match your existing key. So buying them online probably won't work unless you can work something out with them

  3. #3
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    I know that even if you don't have a key you can go to a locksmith and they can make a key for you. You can order the lock cylinders and make sure they are equal. Then take them to the locksmith.

    I had a 94 grand marquis that didn't had a key for the trunk. The guy used a blank key and kept filing and inserting it in the lock until he got it open. It took him like 10 mins to figure the key.

  4. #4
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I know that even if you don't have a key you can go to a locksmith and they can make a key for you. You can order the lock cylinders and make sure they are equal. Then take them to the locksmith.
    .
    see the problem with that is NO ONE in town wants to do it, they all say they can BUT they dont want to...one company wanted almost $300 to make the key for me

    i think i have anther idea tho...

  5. #5
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    can't the dealer cut you a new key from your vin number?

  6. #6
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Junk yard...? Some yards keep keys organized for just that reason Dom.. Locate one and get all the locks, glove box, doors, hatch.. T locks maybe harder to find matching but a yard is where I'd try..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-01-2010 at 06:33 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  7. #7
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    can't the dealer cut you a new key from your vin number?
    i dont know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Junk yard...? Some yards keep keys organized for just that reason Dom.. Locate one and get all the locks, glove box, doors, hatch.. T locks maybe harder to find matching but a yard is where I'd try..

  8. #8
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i dont know...



    Okay funny guy.. jk You'll remember I told you "locksmith" first too funny man..

  9. #9
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Okay funny guy.. jk You'll remember I told you "locksmith" first too funny man..
    i called 11 or 12 of them "locksmith"...and like i said they all could do it BUT none of them wanted to AND the one that did wanted almost $300 lol

    i got a whole set with key coming...see how that works

  10. #10
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i called 11 or 12 of them "locksmith"...and like i said they all could do it BUT none of them wanted to AND the one that did wanted almost $300 lol

    i got a whole set with key coming...see how that works
    How much they run you?

  11. #11
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    can't the dealer cut you a new key from your vin number?
    i dont know...
    Yes they should able to. If all you need is a key, then thats an easy $2.00 fix for your problem

  12. #12
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yes they should able to. If all you need is a key, then thats an easy $2.00 fix for your problem
    i will look into this tomorrow.... i know gmpartsdirect couldnt, it would have cost to much and been a PITA

  13. #13
    You can purchase lock cylinders that haven't been coded and assembled. Coding to your existing key is very simple, no need for a locksmith.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What happens in your cylinders
    By SMWS6TA in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
  2. Wanted: key lock cylinders
    By Blackbird WS6 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
  3. Master cylinders
    By supercharged666 in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 07:17 PM
  4. Question: What cylinders run leaner on an LS1?
    By bly123 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM
  5. stall question.. LOCK UP or no lock up whats the difference?
    By greatwhiteZ28 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •