Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Line Lock Look

This is a discussion on Line Lock Look within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yup. Would be stealth....

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yup. Would be stealth.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok -- switches are both mounted in the ashtray. I'll post up some pics later this evening. Not sure what type of plastic the ashtray is made of, but it seems kind of brittle. As both holes punched through the plastic broke away, sort of like how wood does when you drill through it. I went slow and have fairly sharp bits, so at least I did not break it. Kind of reminds me of the old bake-lite stuff.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

IIRC the plastic for the ashtray is a rigid plastic that will shatter once pressure is applied. But it won't melt with a hot cigarette resting in it. Go figure.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here are pics of the switch setup. The long toggle runs the line lock and the rocker switch controls the cutout. I made sure the toggle has to be in the "UP" position to trigger the line lock so that it is less likely to be accidentally engaged.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ya did good Jeff. I like that setup.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Looks good Jeff. I remember when I was wiring up my cutout, it didn't seem like there was enough room on the backside of the ashtray to mount. The mounting location I did with the cutout was the first time I was honestly disappointed with my work . That looks really clean, good job.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Ya did good Jeff. I like that setup.
    Thanks! My build is winding down and it's getting to the point that I can not wait to drive her again.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Looks good Jeff. I remember when I was wiring up my cutout, it didn't seem like there was enough room on the backside of the ashtray to mount. The mounting location I did with the cutout was the first time I was honestly disappointed with my work . That looks really clean, good job.

I think I remember your thread -- is that the one with the power distribution block? Like Cammed said earlier, going for the stealth look on this part of the project. I like having it so that none of the mods are apparent until you open the hood or look under the car.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I think I remember your thread -- is that the one with the power distribution block? Like Cammed said earlier, going for the stealth look on this part of the project. I like having it so that none of the mods are apparent until you open the hood or look under the car.
    No, that was with all the gauges I added. I didn't want to splice into a bunch of power wires 5 times, and adding an extra fuse block with a relay seemed the safest and smartest way. I love that thing.

You cant see the switch, I put it under the steering wheel, by my knees. I screwed up on the placement and had to redo it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

for my line lock switch I didn't even mount it....I ran it under the center console and out right by the drivers seat. I can reach down with my right hand and turn the switch on and off and then tuck it under the console when I'm not at the track. I didn't want to drill and mount it anywhere and that seemed like the easiest way to do it.

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

I used SLP unit 10 years, still works great,when applied my front tires have never moved

LINE LOCK INFO

IS hole behind pcm , but I drill hole beside steering colum also ( drill from inside out ) put a peace of rubber hose in hole ran wire inside hose, then use same type wire wrap as GM,tie wrap to the big rubber hose comming over master cyl
    I also mounted switch in ash tray
    I have used this unit for 10 years with NO problems ( well yes one problem :::SLICK tires )

PS ::Connect brake line to master cyl and line lock ,the second line which goes to ABS block start it but leave it loose,remove cap from master cyl and let the lines grivity bleed watch the loose connection untill all air is out and run pure fluid ( may shake the line a little to help bleed ( REMEMBER BRAKE FLUID WILL REMOVE PAINT
    I placed plastic sheet over fender)if does not gravity bleed blow into master cyl and have some one watch for fluid at ABS block >>>THIS way you do not have to bleed the brakes from under car- I had no problem of any kind

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps
    Johnny
    Last edited by SS SLP2; 03-15-2010 at 12:40 AM.
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

0rion - never thought about just leaving it loose. That's not a bad idea.

SS - I use a MityVac for bleeding lines. Works like a charm every time and allows me to flush all the nasty old fluid out in the process without having a helper pumping on the brakes. Thanks for the info.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Well... crap. I outsmarted myself on the line lock switch location. I thought I had it spaced up enough to clear everything, but when I went to re-install the console cover this evening I found that the switch hits on one of the shifter switches (not sure what it is called, has a rod that goes to the shifter, driver side).

Taking another look at everything, I ended up moving the line lock switch to the right of the ashtray in that little nook. I actually like it better there and it is probably more protected from accidental engagement. I have some black soft plugs that I picked up at a show so I installed one in the first hole. Live and learn.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Small snag. Glad to hear you got things worked out.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well... crap. I outsmarted myself on the line lock switch location. I thought I had it spaced up enough to clear everything, but when I went to re-install the console cover this evening I found that the switch hits on one of the shifter switches (not sure what it is called, has a rod that goes to the shifter, driver side).

Taking another look at everything, I ended up moving the line lock switch to the right of the ashtray in that little nook. I actually like it better there and it is probably more protected from accidental engagement. I have some black soft plugs that I picked up at a show so I installed one in the first hole. Live and learn.
    Sounds like you did exactly what I did with my cutout switch. Didnt measure what was behind it before drilling the hole and had to drill twice. I was not happy with myself! Sounds like you got it taken care of though.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Sounds like you did exactly what I did with my cutout switch. Didnt measure what was behind it before drilling the hole and had to drill twice. I was not happy with myself! Sounds like you got it taken care of though.
    Actually thought that to myself when I discovered the problem -- Ron will get a kick out of this!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Actually thought that to myself when I discovered the problem -- Ron will get a kick out of this!
    Aw come on! Im not THAT bad! At least yours is just an ash tray, can flip the lid down and not see it. Mine is slightly more visible.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

What size fuse are you installing in the powerline?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information