Thread: limp mode

limp mode

how would i know if my t/a (99/ M6/ SD tune) is in limp mode??

is there a way to fine out??

car starts and idles fine, and has no dash warning lights showing
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 04-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Didn't know 4th gens had limp mode. Usually though limp mode restricts how fast your car can go. If its accelerates above 45 it should be fine IMO or at least not in limp mode.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I would think the car would run like complete ass if it was in some type of "Limp" mode.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

car won't go above a certain RPM in liimp home mode...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

oh you will know it. Car idles at about 3k in rpms and doesn't idle down. It is the PCM's way of trying to surge the alternator in to charging the battery. It scare the hell out of me when it happen.

well FUCK! this aint good lol

this is the problem im having....

When I start my t/a (cold) I wail for it to warm up some (to about 1/4 way up on the temp gauge), then leave, within 15mins or 10-15miles (which ever) the car seems to lose power, like it feels like I lost 100whp and it stays that way until the engine cools all the way down again and then once I re-start it and drive it for alittle it does the same again, it does it all the time like this and its pissing me off, I can't fine out the problem....I was thinking heatstroke but it seems like way passes that, before it does that shit I can smoke the tires in all 4 gears and then when it lose power I can berly break then in 1st off idle...the car does do anything funny it just feels like it lost power

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

when was the last time you replace plug and wires? have you checked the fuel pump pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    when was the last time you replace plug and wires? have you checked the fuel pump pressure?
    plugs and wires are good, havnt checked the pump yet BUT wouldnt that make the car run like shit all the time not when it gets hot? i mean the car runs perfect other then this problem

when this "thing" happens there are no signs of anything, car runs and idles perfect, everything sounds fine, i know my car VERY well so its not like im dreaming this shit lol even my father has driven the car and said the same thing, i just cant fine WTF could be making this happen, im guessing the only thing it could be is a computer/tune problem??

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    plugs and wires are good, havnt checked the pump yet BUT wouldnt that make the car run like shit all the time not when it gets hot? i mean the car runs perfect other then this problem

when this "thing" happens there are no signs of anything, car runs and idles perfect, everything sounds fine, i know my car VERY well so its not like im dreaming this shit lol even my father has driven the car and said the same thing, i just cant fine WTF could be making this happen, im guessing the only thing it could be is a computer/tune problem??
    yes i will think if the pump is bad then yes it will do it all the time. I will still check it in case that the pump is causing issues when it gets warm/hot. Hopefully is not a bad PCM.

anyone else have an idea??

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You're running speed density,correct? It could be a heat soaked IAT. I've read SD tunes are sensitive to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You're running speed density,correct? It could be a heat soaked IAT. I've read SD tunes are sensitive to that.
    yessir...im using a SD tune

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I had a problem with the cam to crank sensor relationship, and my vehicle was running in "limp mode" that is firing one side of the engine, then the other instead of correct timing. Believe me you will know, the engine does not idle smooth, and for me there was a big drop in power, that is acceleration, and I used up gasoline like mad.

SteveC

Black

I having same problem...but mine is a 98 SS. Had to replace C02 sensors, and clutch and battery has been unhooked a dozen times. I'm new to this site but realize you guys know what you're talking about. My advise on my 98 was given by a dude with almost 20,000 post. He said to go to someone with a scanner and clear the limp code.
    Car feels like lt did stock. Before the co2 crap it pulled like a freight train. If I cant get answers im going back to see Tim at "Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop". Guy does great work and knows his shit. He did original tune

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by bohnseye View Post
    I having same problem...but mine is a 98 SS. Had to replace C02 sensors, and clutch and battery has been unhooked a dozen times. I'm new to this site but realize you guys know what you're talking about. My advise on my 98 was given by a dude with almost 20,000 post. He said to go to someone with a scanner and clear the limp code.
    Car feels like lt did stock. Before the co2 crap it pulled like a freight train. If I cant get answers im going back to see Tim at "Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop". Guy does great work and knows his shit. He did original tune
    are you having the exact same problem? Car starts and idles fine for a few minutes then loses power? It sounds like your car is running fine now but feels down on power? Hard for me to understand exactly what your issue is. Keep in mind the O2 sensors aren't in play really when you go wide open. If the car is lean prior to going wide open the pcm will add fuel which could make you too rich and make it feel down on power but other than that the O2's don't play into wide open throttle fueling. When was the last time you cleaned your MAF sensor? That's where your wide open throttle fueling comes from. Are you currently throwing any codes?

Are you guys even logging these things to see what's wrong? I'd be checking codes first, then fuel pressure at the rail. If all that's fine, you really need to get a laptop on it and go for a drive, watch parameters and see what's not normal on the readings when the car loses power. That'll at least point you in a direction to investigate.

Otherwise you are just going to be chasing your tail until you get lucky.

Thread Information