Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Lifter Ticking Question

I just recently completed a cam, head, upgrade on an engine with around 109K on it. I have had no issues with ticking until I put it back together. I did have the stock LS! heads milled .0025 and am using stock length 7.4 comp rods. I did not replace the oem lifters which was dumb....Do yall feel that the ticking is a lifter issue? I have check all rocker arm and they are tight. Thoughts?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Are your rocker arms torqued to 26 ft lbs and did you use loctite? Lifters also may not be pumping up all the way

98 Formula
    06 duramax

is it a tick or sewing machine sound?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    Are your rocker arms torqued to 26 ft lbs and did you use loctite? Lifters also may not be pumping up all the way
    Pretty sure its 22 ft lbs, and not using Loctite is a easy way to get a ticking noise. How long has the ticking gone on for after the H/C install?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Are you positive that it is not a slight exhaust leak?

Fire
    2002 SS

It's been my experience that changing cam & springs on the LS motors creates a noisy valve train.
    Watch out if the noise changes though. I just replaced my cam [$420], lifters [$896], plus full gasket set, etc. on my '02 SS. Did it myself in the garage. What happened was I heard a slight squeal one morning on startup. Shut it off and dug into the motor until I found the cam was eroding and lifter rollers brinelling. I don't know if it was caused by high spring pressures or defective materials. Motor has about 80K on it now, cam was put in at about 35K.

I don't believe factory calls for thread-locker on the rocker bolts, none was found on disassembly. [Where did that info come from?]
    How would not using thread-locker cause a ticking? I mean short of leaving a bolt loose, which would not be a thread-locker issue. [?]

Awaiting Activation

black
    2000 Z28

noise response

This probably has nothing to do with this thread, but, I installed a GMS mass airflow sensor & housing awhile back, and was getting a horrible clatter at high rpms. I took it to the local GM dealer, and they said it was piston slap noise,(which they also said was common for the ls1 cars). I went back to the stock sensor, (at the advice of some members here) and have been fine since. Thanks to everyone who saved me a lot of trouble and cash in the long run... It is greatly appreciated.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for responding everyone. Sorry have been out, couldn't respond. The ticking seems to have resolved itself for now. I'm really going with a lifter that did not preload correctly. I did all the install and torques correct. I did get to check torque on rocker, which where fine. No exhaust leaks, but I do understand the extra valvetrain noise, that I can hear. It probably would have been a good idea to replace lifters on build, and may still consider. Right now I'm more concerned with the stock 10 bolt after this build than anything. Thanks

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    It's been my experience that changing cam & springs on the LS motors creates a noisy valve train.
    Watch out if the noise changes though. I just replaced my cam [$420], lifters [$896], plus full gasket set, etc. on my '02 SS. Did it myself in the garage. What happened was I heard a slight squeal one morning on startup. Shut it off and dug into the motor until I found the cam was eroding and lifter rollers brinelling. I don't know if it was caused by high spring pressures or defective materials. Motor has about 80K on it now, cam was put in at about 35K.

I don't believe factory calls for thread-locker on the rocker bolts, none was found on disassembly. [Where did that info come from?]
    How would not using thread-locker cause a ticking? I mean short of leaving a bolt loose, which would not be a thread-locker issue. [?]
    Using thread lock is a given especially w/ aluminum heads.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Good to hear buddy. And yes Blue threadlocker is a given. I've had too many rocker bolts back out on me before because of the steel bolt heat expansion rate not being as much as the aluminum around it.

Thread Information