black
    2001 camaro ss

Lifter tap video

Made a post a few weeks ago about this and just finally got a chance to post a video. Almost sounds like the ball bouncing around in a half empty spray can.

Did the cam swap (233/239 595/603 113lsa xer lobes) all supporting mods (chromoly pushrods, dual .650 lift prc springs, titanium retainers, valve seals, tsp ported ls6 oil pump, ls6 chain) and now it will intermittantly start tapping.

It only does it when the car is at idle speed. start driving and it goes away. Usually once a day. I did a tq check on all rocker arms and they were good. Also correct pushrod length.

black
    2001 camaro ss

AND I dont know WTF happened with my thread title. LOL was suppose to say " lifter tap video"

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Is this recent or has this been happening for a while? Does it go away once it gets hot? Louder than usual lifter tick

black
    2001 camaro ss

Its only been happening since the cam install about 2months ago. Engine temp does not affect it. Cold or full temp if every here and there once its been idling for about a min it starts to do it.

Once or twice it got so loud it sounded like some one was smackin a block of metal with a light hammer "ting", usually starts as just a "tap". Longer it sits the louder it gets till u drive it then it goes away a few seconds later. Really got me scratchin my head.

black
    2001 camaro ss

I can drive it for days without stopping and letting it idle for too long and it wont happen.

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

i would be checking the lifters i know of a couple people including myself that had the roller wear through on the lifter which in my case ate the lifter bore in the block

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

the roller wears to the point that it cant roll freely any more so the round part of the lifter will still be riding on the cam unless you hit higher rpms then then the roller will spin which in my case i believe is what resulted in the bore being destroyed(i had to use vise grips to getthe lifter out.) granted this happened when i first got the car but it didnt seem to be as noisy. but i knew it had been thrashed and i rarely drove it but if nothing else its better to check.

black
    2001 camaro ss

Damn I really dont have the money to pull the heads right now but im about to deploy for a year and planned on getting some livernois heads when I get back so I guess I will just garage her 2 months early. Fml ! thanks for potentially saving my engine. The input is extremely appreciated.

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

no problem man. not for certain thats your problem but i had it happen to me so better safe than sorry.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 2NDSLPSS View Post
    AND I dont know WTF happened with my thread title. LOL was suppose to say " lifter tap video"
    fixed the title for you

black
    2001 camaro ss

Thanks cutlass!. Lol the car is oficially grounded till I can get a headgasket kit and some ls7 lifters.

Anyone think of Anything else somewhat cheap I should do while I have the heads off ?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Ls2 lifter trays, can't hurt and they're cheap

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Thank you for serving your country, be safe. This sounds like a lifter issue, one or more may not be pumping up at idle. Did you put new lifters in when you did the cam ? If not, that may be the problem. Lifters get gumed up inside due to the heat of the engine and the plunger and spring do not glide smoothly and the bore will get scored. Check it out. God Bless.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Damn that's loud.

black
    2001 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Thank you for serving your country, be safe. This sounds like a lifter issue, one or more may not be pumping up at idle. Did you put new lifters in when you did the cam ? If not, that may be the problem. Lifters get gumed up inside due to the heat of the engine and the plunger and spring do not glide smoothly and the bore will get scored. Check it out. God Bless.
    i really appreciate the support guys, thank u. My last SS had a few ticking and I did an oil change w 1 quart of atf to clean it out, ran it for a week then changed it before I sold it and it cleared up a good bit. would that be ill advised ?

black
    2001 camaro ss

Bump

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I wouldnt do it, it sounds like you may have a collapsed lifter or a bad roller either way it could hurt the lifter bore or even the cam. The whole lifter swap would probably be in the neighborhood of 250 with lifters bolts and gaskets its not worth the potential damage you might do if you run the engine again.You can check for a collapsed lifter tho if you remove the valve covers and rotate the engine by hand wiggler each of the rockers and pushrods if you find one is substantially looser than the others thats a good indicator the lifter plunger collapsed and is making the noise.

Thread Information