Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Life Expectancy for the LS1

This is a discussion on Life Expectancy for the LS1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My 2000 Z28 has 138K miles on it and it still is running strong. A mechanic I trusted told me ...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

My 2000 Z28 has 138K miles on it and it still is running strong. A mechanic I trusted told me that the LS1s will easily last over 200K before needing any attention. I change my oil every 3K miles with Mobil 1 and use an AC PF61 long filter. I have developed a light knocking sound lately, particularly on acceleration, but I'm hoping this is piston slap and not a rod bearing.

Keep in mind, the catch can won't stop oil consumption if run inline with the PCV system, it just catches the oil before it re-enters through the intake manifold. The catch can is just a way of cleaning up the combustion process, which is a good thing. To add, the LS6 valley pan will only slow down the oil consumption since they repositioned the hose connection at the front of the engine (should have done that from the get go on all LS engines) but the vacuum will still pull some oil through.

To eliminate the oil consumption completely Ron is talking about eliminating the PCV all together and venting the crankcase to atmosphere, just like cars used to do it before PCV's were mandated (about 1968 for most manufactures). This works great, however if you have visual inspections the smog police will have a fit

white
    99 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My T56 broke at 12,000 miles . It happens.
    mine was 13k miles in 99

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I know CALI is VERY strict when it comes to emissions so my catch can way may be a prob for you. Here in MD they dont even pop open your hood for emissions testing!! I think the way around that would be setting up your catch can like I was saying before, then hide the catch can in the fender like I did. Then I would put on "dummy" hoses to make it look as though the org set up from the factory was still there.

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

I've got 180k on mine and runs strong. A little oils leak but other than that nothing.
    2001 B4C Camaro
    LS1 lid
    Borla Catback

SOLD!!!
    1998 Trans AM M6
    Corsa Catback,Kooks 1-7/8 Long tubes,Kooks 3 inch Y-Pipe with High Flow Cats, MGW shifter, 4:10's

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Keep in mind, the catch can won't stop oil consumption if run inline with the PCV system, it just catches the oil before it re-enters through the intake manifold. The catch can is just a way of cleaning up the combustion process, which is a good thing. To add, the LS6 valley pan will only slow down the oil consumption since they repositioned the hose connection at the front of the engine (should have done that from the get go on all LS engines) but the vacuum will still pull some oil through.

To eliminate the oil consumption completely Ron is talking about eliminating the PCV all together and venting the crankcase to atmosphere, just like cars used to do it before PCV's were mandated (about 1968 for most manufactures). This works great, however if you have visual inspections the smog police will have a fit
    How would one do this? I have the ls6 pcv and catch can set up. Could you retain the catch can to prevent oil in my intake or would that be superfluous since deleting the pcv?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    How would one do this? I have the ls6 pcv and catch can set up. Could you retain the catch can to prevent oil in my intake or would that be superfluous since deleting the pcv?
    With an open breather setup there is no need for the catch can anymore. You are just venting the crank case at the valve covers to open air.

The LS6 PCV and catch can setup works fine though. If you aren't catching all that much oil I wouldn't worry much about it. I run the stock PCV setup on my wifes camaro with a catch can, and after 3,000 miles it doesn't even catch enough to fill an aerosol can lid, not even a pint. So the loss isn't even measurable on the stick. The important thing is that you're keeping it out of the combustion process.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

^^That coincides with my LS6 PCV and Catch Can setup. I've gone through 4-5 oil changes and have gotten the same amount as FBJ stated. I will say that it has keep the LS6 intake much cleaner.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    This not only sucks oil from the engine, but will also lower your fuel octane rating from lets say (this is just an estimate for example) 93 to 90.
    Wait... what? How is a PCV mod' going to impact the octane rating?

What he is trying to say is that oil mixed with the combustion process delutes the fuel charge and kills power. It's difficult to even tune a car properly if it's using oil, it causes detonation, and in higher HP applications it's catastrophic, like when playing with nitrous for instance.

Bottom line, excess oil in the combustion chamber is not a good thing.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Thanks Firebirdjones, that clears it up. I guess I know what I wanna say, but don't always make it that clear on the screen.

You're welcome Ron. I don't always come accross on screen like I want either, and sometimes I'm taken the wrong way. But I knew exactly what you were talking about.

Hey guys, so I pulled my lid back to my TB and everything is pretty clean, no oil in the IM, does that mean it's pretty clean running? It's a full bolt on car, stock long block, 127K miles

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Okay, gotcha. That makes sense.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z/28

I've had my Z since she had 50K on her. 1 quart low almost every oil change. Freaked me out the first time I saw it tho.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

First motor lasted 85k then a rocker snapped toasting the motor. Previous owner didn't install the correct valvetrain to go with the cam. He also raced it. New motor and I don't beat on it.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information