Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lean Air bank 1 and 2 codes (P0171, P0151)

This is a discussion on Lean Air bank 1 and 2 codes (P0171, P0151) within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I guess it could be the regulator which is part of that fuel pump module but I'm still betting hose ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I guess it could be the regulator which is part of that fuel pump module but I'm still betting hose or pump.

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

I'm gonna price the regulator* and see if it's worth changing before I go to the stealership

*I meant to say damper
    Last edited by MeanGreen98; 05-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by MeanGreen98 View Post
    I'm gonna price the regulator and see if it's worth changing before I go to the stealership
    you gotta drop the tank and pull the pump either way.....might as well put a racetronix pump in there and call it a day. That regulator is hard to find and most likely not your issue. You should find someone other than the dealership to swap that pump unless it's still under warranty. Do it yourself.

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

The pump is definitely under warranty. I didn't want to tell this story b/c it still pisses me off but it will provide helpful background info. Last August I was deployed, (I'm in the WVANG), to Dover, DE. While there the orig. fuel pump burnt out. Since I was miles from home and didn't know anyone in Dover, I bought a fuel pump and filter over the interwebs and had a local shop install it. That pump failed after 80 miles, stranding me 70 miles away from the base while I was headed to Ocean Shitty. I was slightly upset to say the least. I had the car towed to the GM dealership in Dover and asked them to put in a GM lifetime warranty part. The first pump and filter plus install was $700 and the GM treatment cost $1046. If it is in fact the pump again, there's a stealership in Dover that had better be ready to take care of me.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

they will...if you have your reciept or you go to the same dealer that installed it. They should have your service history on file.

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

I spoke to a service manager @ my hometown Chevy dealership and he said the damper was most likely the problem due to the fact that I just replaced the pump & filter. They charge 89.00 for the OE part. this is the best one that the internets provided. http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1196

I'm gonna order the part from the general.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Most service managers are idiots. I don't really see how a dampner would cause low fuel pressure.

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

The dampeners technical name is fuel pulse regulator. It feels like the fuel pulses erratically. I've experienced 2 pump failures and they were different. The fpr is the last part in the system that hasn't been replaced. Other than the lines and injectors.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Oh I know what it is and what it does. There just isn't any possible way it could cause low fuel pressure.
    Here's an analogy to consider. Think of the suspension on your car. They is a spring and a shock absorber. The spring creates the pressure to hold the car up. The shock is a dampener to control and smooth out that pressure as you drive over bumps in the road. The dampener(shock) doesn't create any pressure to hold the car up. If your car is sagging, shocks won't fix it, springs will.
    If your fuel pressure is low, the dampener won't increase the pressure.
    Does that make sense???

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Most service managers are idiots. I don't really see how a dampner would cause low fuel pressure.

This was evident on my first and last ass reaming I recieved from the local dealership when I had health issues and thought "Hmmmm even if the dealership cost more it's worth it-I think they will do the job right with little aggrivation"

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

It's part of their job to rip me off. But I do like the warranty that it comes with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Does that make sense???
    Yes, your analogy makes sense.

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't reach the intertubes from my vacation. I left the car with the dealership while I went to the lake with my family. Long story short, the MAF was busted and it took 2 fuel pump assemblies for them to realize that the fuel lines were coming apart at the tank boundary. That was fixed w/ clamps.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

nice!!

NBM

meangreen98
    so was it the maf or the fuel lines that was causing the lean O2 readings? im having the same situation with P0131/0151

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

Twas the MAF I believe.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad you got your issue figured out......even if it was probably 3x more costly than it needed to be. At some point you just want the car back running right. These little issues is why I always work on my own stuff. A lot more work and headache but if something goes wrong I have no one to blame but myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information