Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

lean

This is a discussion on lean within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; thats exactly what I needed! Now where is this evap cannister cause I recall onebeing there and now there isnt. ...

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

thats exactly what I needed! Now where is this evap cannister cause I recall onebeing there and now there isnt. Theres what appears to be a vacuum hose right there by the horn but it doesnt go to anything. So now weregettin somewhere. Anyone have a pic of the evac cannister in its location or what it does?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

evap cannister is in the rear of the car on the drivers side. The air pump is behind the drivers side headlight. On my formula there's an access panel you drop down under the car to get to the pump.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_17.html
    I have a feling my problem is back here in the map or vacuum lines.

silver
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by sic2001 View Post
    So Im having the exact same problem. replaced fuel pump/filter,o2's, dyno tune and all that and car still stutters under light load and runs fine when its cold. This same problem is all over the threads under different titles and NONE of them have a solution to the problem. If you find one please letmeknow what it was. I had a head cam job done and it did it before and after so....
    How many miles are on the car? Cause, it sounds like a possible tiny intake manifold leak or a going bad idle air control valve. I've also seen this caused by bad gaps in the spark plugs.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control system used on all vehicles is the charcoal canister storage method. This method transfers fuel vapor from the fuel tank to an activated carbon storage canister in order to hold the vapors when the vehicle is not operating. When the engine is operating, the fuel vapor is purged from the carbon element by intake air flow, and consumed in the normal combustion process.
    EVAP System
    The evaporative system includes the following components:

• The fuel tank

• The evaporative emission canister vent solenoid

• The fuel tank pressure sensor

• The fuel pipes and the hoses

• The vapor lines

• The fuel cap

• The evaporative emission canister

• The purge lines

• The purge valve solenoid

The EVAP purge solenoid valve allows the manifold vacuum to purge the canister. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies a ground in order to energize, or purge on, the EVAP purge solenoid valve. The EVAP purge solenoid control is pulse width modulated (PWM), or turned on and off several times per second.

The EVAP canister purge PWM duty cycle varies according to the operating conditions determined by the mass air flow, the fuel trim, the engine coolant temperature, and the intake air temperature . For certain EVAP tests, the diagnostic will be disabled if the TP angle increases to more than 75 percent.

The evaporative leak detection diagnostic strategy is based on applying vacuum to the EVAP system, and monitoring for vacuum decay.

The fuel level sensor input to the PCM is used to determine if the fuel level in the tank is correct to run the EVAP diagnostic tests. To ensure sufficient volume in the tank to begin the various diagnostic tests, the fuel level must be between 15-85 percent.

The PCM monitors the fuel tank pressure or vacuum level via the fuel tank pressure sensor input.

Results of Incorrect Operation
    • Poor idle, stalling, and poor driveability can be caused by the following conditions:

- A malfunctioning purge solenoid

- A damaged canister

- Hoses or lines that are split, cracked and/or incorrectly connected

• Fuel loss or fuel vapor odor can be caused by the following conditions:

- Liquid fuel leaking from the fuel lines

- A cracked or damaged canister

- An inoperative canister control valve

- Vacuum hoses that are:

- Disconnected

- Mis-routed

- Kinked

- Deteriorated

- Damaged

The evaporative leak detection diagnostic strategy is based on applying vacuum to the EVAP system and monitoring the vacuum decay.

The PCM monitors the vacuum level via the fuel tank pressure sensor input. At an appropriate time, the EVAP purge solenoid and the EVAP vent solenoid are turned on, allowing engine vacuum to draw a small vacuum on the entire evaporative emission system. After the desired vacuum level has been achieved, the EVAP purge solenoid is turned off, sealing the system. A leak is detected by monitoring for a decrease in the vacuum level during a specific time period, with all other variables remaining constant. A small leak in the system causes DTC P0442 to be set.

If the desired vacuum level cannot be achieved in the test described above, a large leak or a faulty EVAP purge solenoid is indicated. This condition can be caused by the following conditions:

• A disconnected or faulty fuel tank pressure sensor

• A missing or faulty fuel cap

• A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked EVAP purge line

• A disconnected or damaged EVAP vent hose

• A disconnected, damaged, pinched, or blocked fuel tank vapor line

• A disconnected or faulty EVAP canister solenoid

• A disconnected or faulty EVAP vent solenoid

• An open ignition feed circuit to the EVAP vent or to the purge solenoid

• A damaged EVAP canister

Any of the above conditions will set DTC P0440.

A restricted or blocked EVAP canister vent path is detected by drawing vacuum into the EVAP system. The PCM turns off the EVAP vent solenoid and the EVAP purge solenoid, with the EVAP vent solenoid Open, and with the EVAP purge PWM at 0 percent. The PCM monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor input. With the EVAP vent solenoid open, any vacuum in the system should decrease quickly unless the vent is blocked. The following conditions cause a blockage:

• A faulty or stuck closed EVAP vent solenoid

• A plugged, kinked, or pinched vent hose

• A shorted EVAP vent solenoid driver circuit

• A plugged evaporative canister

If any of the above conditions are present, DTC P0446 sets.

The PCM checks for conditions that cause the EVAP system to purge continuously by commanding the EVAP vent solenoid on and by commanding the EVAP purge solenoid off , with the EVAP vent solenoid CLOSED, and the EVAP purge PWM at 0 percent. If fuel tank pressure level increases during the test, a continuous purge flow condition is indicated. This condition can be caused by the following conditions:

• A leaking EVAP purge solenoid

• EVAP purge lines and engine vacuum source lines that are switched at the EVAP purge solenoid

• An EVAP purge solenoid driver circuit that is grounded

If any of the above conditions are present, DTC P1441 sets.

Refer to the appropriate DTCs for further diagnostic procedures regarding the EVAP system.

Visual Check of Evaporative Emission Canister
    • If the evaporative emission canister is cracked or damaged, replace the canister.

• If fuel is leaking from the canister, replace the canister, and check the lines and the line routing.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

(1) Fuel Sender Assembly
    (2) Hose (EVAP Canister to Vent Solenoid)
    (3) EVAP Vent Valve
    (4) Fuel Tank Harness
    (5) EVAP Canister
    (6) Fuel Tank
    (7) Overpressure Relief Valve
    (8) Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

car has 106,000 well cared for miles. and plugs are gapped to .55- .57

white
    1998 Z28

found a leak on top of the egr theres a small hole in it would that cause the car to run like it has been running

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

what kind of leak and where at on the egr, the valve?

white
    1998 Z28

its on top of the egr and its sucking in air i didnt notice til today my buddy was smoking a cig and i noticed the smoke get sucked in on top of the egr near the throttle body.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

You might even check the fuel cap to make sure it is venting prop., Years ago I had a pickup that even stopped running. Happened to remove the fuel cap and you would not believe the suction. Dought if this will help but at this point I'm sure you will try anything. Good luck.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by sic2001 View Post
    what kind of leak and where at on the egr, the valve?
    I would think that's probably what your problem is. Is there a hole in the pipe or is it leaking around the seal?

white
    1998 Z28

its right before it bolts in the intake manifold. i havent fixed it yet but it makes sense it did start to run shitty after i got the ls6 intake manifold on. haha cigarettes may have saved my life.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

wheres the egr on a 2001? I feel like just buying a new one and putting it in. I havent been able to ind any leaks in mine.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

There is no EGR on a 2001.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'm super happy to hear LS1MuNkY is finally figured out!!! Now we gotta figure out sic2001's prob.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sic, have you checked the backside of the pcv hose up near the intake? Those will crack sometimes....maybe you're sucking a little air there through a small crack or something. It'll be on the backside of that hose to where you can't see it unless you pull the hose and look it over real good.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

sic, are you running an auto or stick? Any particular time/gear/load this shutter occurs? More info, more info, more info.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I ordered a egr valve from autozone so what your telling me I dont have one on this car? My PVC pipe has that foam around it so Illhave to tear that off to really check. and if you want info here it is

When I start up the car it runs real rough thens smooths out after 60 sec and if I drive it runs like a top, no problems. But once its hot whenever I give the pedal a little blip the car bogs and it detonates. Amechanic drove it and verified its detonation. I changed plugs 2 days ago to Denso iridums gapped at 55 (the old plugs looked OK) I changed the fuel pump/filter, plug wires, run 91 from Cheveron,have a Vinci handheld tune w/stock tune programming. (used for gear ratio adj, tire size) Iive had this problem since I had it. Car just threw 0300 misfire code again too today. Ill checkthe pvc line again and let ya know..

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I have an auto, usually does it in 3rd going into 4th or 4th and blipping the throttle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information