Thread: Leaks

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Thumbs up Leaks

So for a while now ive been noticing my 100,000 mile 00 trans am has been developing some leaks. When im near the fron of my car i can smell coolant but i dont ever see any puddles under the car, ive checked the hoses but i dont see signs of leaks, except around my thermostat, so im guessing i would need to replace the gasket or jjust get the slp 160 degree one. but i also have a oil leak coming from all around my intake manifold. its not too serious but you can see the oil residue all over the sides. And is it normal to have so much brake fluid coming out the top of my brake booster, is it bad or does the cap need to be replaced. any help on taking care of these leaks would be greatly appreciated

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Thermostat and gasket will be good. Also have it flushed while you are at it. Not sure about the intake leak could be valve covers or intake. Is the brake fluid coming out from the actual top of the booster or where the master cylinder meets the booster?

hugger orange

I take it you mean the brake resivoir, there is a rubber gasket under the lid that leaks from time to time. just pop the lid off, pull old gasket out and pop the new gasket on.
    oil around the intake sounds like your due for new valve cover gaskets.
    check under your water pump for stains....when the seal starts to go in the pump you'll get a small leak out of the weep hole on the bottom of the waterpump snout. also look around the therostat housing and coolant crossover line mounts for leak and/or stains.
    all of your problems are easy to fix on a nice afternoon in the driveway!

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks for the help, yeah ill replace that gasket under the lid of the brake resivoir. Ill be ordering that thermostat as well as a new gasket plus a gasket for my intake manifold. i just have another ? ( i didnt feel like posting again) but i would need to have the fans come on sooner if i did switch the thermostat right? and also if i got my cats and 02 sensors deleted will i still pass inspection, some guy around town told me he would program my fans and delete the 02 and cats for me for $150, and he said i would still be able to pass inspection..is this true. thanks again for the help

Thread Information