Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Leakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkking--------LS Assistance

This is a discussion on Leakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkking--------LS Assistance within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey Good Buddy! I could understand the Mechanics explanation today. Seems like he can't get the vehicle done this weekend. ...

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation The Verdict

Hey Good Buddy!

I could understand the Mechanics explanation today. Seems like he can't get the vehicle done this weekend. He is working hand and foot on the vehicle. It's not leaking from the front........ he said that he has done many GM vehicle seals..... the Front seal only takes him 2 hours to do.

It's leaking in the rear above the oil pan where the engine meets the tranny. The Seal is in two pieces, thus, he had to pull the engine up rather Dropping it to replace the seal. Does this sound Reasonable? If it's above the oil pan and under the engine bay dash, then he would need to do the pull to get to it. He said the leak is pretty bad.

Though the image looks like it's from the engine front, the splatter is coming out the rear and going every which way. There would have been no way I could have handle this job on my own.

Maatttttttttttttttttttttt

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Hope he gets it all taken care of for ya.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    It's leaking in the rear above the oil pan where the engine meets the tranny. The Seal is in two pieces, thus, he had to pull the engine up rather Dropping it to replace the seal. Does this sound Reasonable? If it's above the oil pan and under the engine bay dash, then he would need to do the pull to get to it. He said the leak is pretty bad.
    Sounds like the rear main seal or a galley plug.

Either way...motor shouldn't need to be removed. The tranny would have to be removed though.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Freighting it Over

If not, I will freight my vehicle over to Crofton and we will work on the vehicle together...... while we are at it, we'll pull the rear hatch and drop in a rear inline V10 and convert the Hood to the trunk.... I don't have a Ram Air Hood thus, engine in the rear will work out well.

Hope he does too..... the only thing I asked him is whether I should take out an extended warrant on the vehicle..... he had no advice on that.

Thanks man!
    Matthew
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Hope he gets it all taken care of for ya.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

nws Gasket Clearance

Is the Rear main seal in two pieces?......pulling the tranny would be quicker if it could be done..... If you removed the tranny, would it give enough clearance to properly replace the gasket?

Then again, removing the tranny would save much more time would it not? I think he couldn't get to it, that's why he had to pull the engine.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Sounds like the rear main seal or a galley plug.

Either way...motor shouldn't need to be removed. The tranny would have to be removed though.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    Is the Rear main seal in two pieces?......pulling the tranny would be quicker if it could be done..... If you removed the tranny, would it give enough clearance to properly replace the gasket?

Then again, removing the tranny would save much more time would it not? I think he couldn't get to it, that's why he had to pull the engine.

Matthew
    Luos is right, tranny removal is the easiest way to get at the rear main

black
    2002 WS6

I thought GM did away with the two peice seal back in 1986? Could he be confusing the rear main with the read cover? Looked in my 2000 service manual (GM Manual) Shows a one peice main.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation Referencing Seal

Maybe he is not referencing the part properly to me.
    He stated it's the engine rear seal. Is there some way you can post what's in your manual here? This way I can give you a report of my finding when I pick up the vehicle. By the way, he stated that he always pull the engine to replace these seals........

Mattttttttttttttttttttt.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    I thought GM did away with the two peice seal back in 1986? Could he be confusing the rear main with the read cover? Looked in my 2000 service manual (GM Manual) Shows a one peice main.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Rear main seal is this guy...goes around the end of the crank and sits in the rear engine cover.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

wow it took a long time to get through this whole thread. The whole time I was putting my money on front crank seal and I'm still a little scepticle that it is the rear crank seal, I've seen what a front crank seal does to the underside of a car and thats exactly it. It leaks onto the underdrive pulley and sprays it EVERYWHERE, I'd ask him to check that first before he take out the rear crank seal because its about half the price.
    If it is infact the rear crankseal, I'm with them I'd only remove the tranny, way less work!

black
    2002 WS6

I was just quickly referencing an exploded diagram, no scanner sorry. but for sure the rear main is one peice. My bet is a leak in the front but who knows.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up 100,000 Used TA Wear and Tear- Salvage Or Nottttttttttttttttt

Damn that's a very nice detail clear image. Thanks Luos. I will print it out for reference. Since I have never dealt with the engine seal, I am going based on all of your expertise. I don't doubt your combine knowledges. Since the mechanic already has the engine out and working his ass off in this 100 degree heat, I don't think it's a good idea to school him on this at the moment. At any rate, I will use your knowledge in this post to give him heads up the next time he does a Trans Am.

The seal is evidently based on Wear and Tear at 100,000 mile. I hope other people who are experiencing this same problem with their TA will find this post and make their mechanic aware of not needing to pull the engine for the replacement. Paying out of pocket for an engine pull to deal with the seal will be very costly. Evidently, people who trade in their TA could be because of this leak.

Can you drop the tranny at home to replace the rear seal on your own with the front tires on a ramp?

Here's where I'm at with this vehicle...... I paid $9200 out the door, time and gas to travel to and from to the Lot in Los Angeles, paid my brother to pick me up and drop me off for the vehicle pickup, $340 Magnaflow Exhaust system, and recently, design customize Rally Stripes for the vehicle at $150.

All in all, I have invested $10,000 in this vehicle so far where it has spent half the time in the Mechanic Garage. I was about to pick up a Ram Air hood for the vehicle today.... though I have held back.

If I trade in the vehicle towards a new vehicle, I will be at a big loss. If I trade in this vehicle for another used vehicle at that lot, I may experience other wear and tear problems as well. If I keep the vehicle, I will have to cough up for the expense. Shit... on one hand, I don't want to turn my back on the Trans Am.... by the way, I saw a black 2001 TA up for auction this weekend beginning at $5600. I would have loved to get that black one.... though at that price, it must be screwed up big time. How do you see what I should do man?

If I keep this TA, you think you and the member here can assist me at maintaining it and resolve all due wear and tear?

By the way, since I have a Ram Air TA already, I decided to go with this rally stripe that was initially design for the Corvette and skip the hood.

Thanks for all of your input and everyone else on here. I value what you guys have to say big time!

Hey, I'm going to paint this Silver TA black like yours one day and even go for those rims you have on..... if I keep it!

Matttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Rear main seal is this guy...goes around the end of the crank and sits in the rear engine cover.

Click for full size
    Last edited by matthewaqui; 08-15-2007 at 10:13 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What kind of a dealership did you buy it from? Usually with those short warranties it's a "mom and pop" dealer or even a auction....they can be shady. I'm getting the feeling that the mechanic is jerking you around. Have you actually seen him working on your car with the engine out or do you just talk to him on the phone? They could be stalling until your warranty runs out...just be careful. Good luck..

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Mom and Pop Dealership

It is a mom and pop dealership. I spoke to owner when I was there, his dad passed it on to him. They buy the auction vehicle and resale. My wife mentioned about the warranty stall tactic. I have not seen him working on the vehicle. I have another week andl half until the warranty expires, but thanks for the heads up on the matter. I have not seen him working on the vehicle.......... by mid week next week if it's not completed, I will pay them a visit. I'm just 30 miles from them and they are in Los Angeles.... it's a pain in the ass to travel through traffic to get to the dealership.

I did see the oil before purchasing it..... the dealership owner gave me his word that they would fix it, thus I didn't think much of it. I will think more than twice next time when purchasing a used vehicle with an oil leak.

Last note: I better test drive it properly and check every single thing in that engine before I pick up that vehicle, for all future complications will be on my hands. I did learn my lesson once on an auction Camry, but this time around, I was super thrill at owning this TA for dailying driving.

Over and out,
    Matttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    What kind of a dealership did you buy it from? Usually with those short warranties it's a "mom and pop" dealer or even a auction....they can be shady. I'm getting the feeling that the mechanic is jerking you around. Have you actually seen him working on your car with the engine out or do you just talk to him on the phone? They could be stalling until your warranty runs out...just be careful. Good luck..

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Red face Code Reader and Seal Result

Hello Folks and Luos,

The mechanic did a proper job putting the engine back in where no visual leaks where evident. He also replaced the oil pan gasket. All in all, I am happy with the job, though I am not very cofident that the vehicle will not have anymore issues by the end of the year.

Just yesterday I have a problem already:

I have a Service Engine Light on. Yesterday I punched it on the highway to merge onto ramp and the engine light went on.

At any rate, the light can be countless things of course...... Anyone with any suggestions on which is the best Code Reader for the the 4th Generation 2000 Trans Am? It's just a good idea these days to have a code reader if you have more than one vehicle. Saves time and money. I don't see any threads on here with suggestions on code readers.

Thanks a million!
    Matthew

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

AutoZone can read the code for free...then bring that code to us for a start on figuring it out.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

So can Advance Auto Parts....
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Thread Continuation

Hey Luos and other intelligent Poster of this thread...... I need your help big time. My troubles with this used vehicles continues.

Follow this thread here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...823#post984823

Thanks Good Buddies,
    Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information