Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Leakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkking--------LS Assistance

This is a discussion on Leakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkking--------LS Assistance within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; that definitely looks like either the front cover or the front of the oil pan....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that definitely looks like either the front cover or the front of the oil pan.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Oil Spread

It's not the oil pan.... I'll let you guys know what it is when the mechanic has it on the lift for inspection..... where ever it's coming from it spreaded violently throughout.

Thank you,

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

nws

Hey There Good Buddies!

By the way, thank you everyone for the advices on the oil crap! I'm dropping off the vehicle today. I checked all fluid level before driving the TA to work.. Freakin Aye, Transmission, Brake, Engine, and PowerSteering Fluid are all at the proper level. Visual engine inspection from the hood shows no leakage from the engine... that's a relief.....I think it is from a hose right underneath the Power Steering pump.... or hell, could it be from the oil pump.... I'll let the Mechanic diagnose it and let everyone know.

Granted the double deck spoiler from Wings West is not the best looking one of all for the TA....... it looked good to me 5 years ago when various TAs were featured with them installed in the Pontiac High Performance magazine. It cost a freakin $800 bucks I believe. I was going to remove it and reinstalled the regular spoil and do the stripes... but I said what the Hell... the money has been invested and why in the hell invest in effort to remove it. I was going for the Viper Double Deck look. Last note, Wings West is only 15 miles away from me, thus, I saved in shipping to buy the body kit and Spoiler wing from them. The spoiler does suck shit in photos but appealing in person.

All in all, whether you have this Commando Spoiler or the regular OEM one level Spoiler on your vehicle, they are useless in performance, besides the added weight (SS Camaro Spoiler as well). Sadly to say, the useful lip spoilers are on the 4th generation Firehawks, V6 Firebirds, and Camaros. The rear trunk lip spoilers deflect the rear air drag up so it does not have a backward pull. Both the Camaros and Trans Ams are aerodynamically sound in design. I doubt any of you would want to go with the lip over the spoiler.

At any rate, since so many of you are questioning my spoiler, I have taken pictures yesterday to share with you. Just don't go bitchen like a whiny dumb little sissy girl about the spoiler! I freakin took a brand new Carrera yesterday on the Red TA at 70 to 110 mph for more than 3/4 of mile in burning in the exhaust system and pushing the engine for performance after a month of garaging. I let it pass me and kept up with it for performance comparison. The Porsche was in acceleration mode on the Highway. The Porsche also had one of those duo spoiler that probably came stock (I think? for I was right behind two of them with same spoiler and the same color hahaahah!!!)

By the way, I completed the exhaust on both vehicle and vinyl the side skirts just this past weekend. Here at the images:

Great day Man!!!!
    Matttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

That car is leaking oil all over and its been going on for awhile! Dang!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Since 3 weeks ago

Its been leaking even before I purchased it..... 3 weeks ago......

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    That car is leaking oil all over and its been going on for awhile! Dang!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Angry Big Bad News Kidssssssssssssssssssssss!

Well, I have some very disturbing news about the leak. The Used Lot Mechanic told me there is some sort of bad engine seal. He is removing the engine to resolve the problem. I was not hoping for such a diagnostic. I just feel it's never the same again if you have to pull that engine out. At any rate, I'm with a little relief that they are doing job so the expense won't be out of my pocket. The warranty on the vehicle runs out in a week.. thus, I'm nervous about getting the vehicle back and something is wrong with it.... really be shit out of luck on this one.

I can see why the previous owner traded in the vehicle now. Just a cost for purchasing a used vehicle.

I'll let you all know what exactly he's doing when I get a chance. Over the phone, the mechanic's Hispanic accent was somewhat difficult to understand.

Matthew

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yes, its a cost of buying a used car.. but tell me what new performance cars you can buy now... GTO (seems like a love/hate car), Vette (if you have money), or the Mustang (if you can consider that a performance car)... so I'll keep buying/fixing used F-bodies all day long.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation

That was my thought on it man! The modern day TA body look is still competitive.........I felt the longer I waited, the more miles that these TAs would have. Some people don't take care of their vehicle very, in this case, the previous owner!!!!! Freakin Aye, I felt he didn't when he found out he was going to trade it in. The TAs that are cared for, run above $15,000 with the low miles. Hoping after this repair, the engine will last me for at least another 5 years.

It's shameful about the GTO, though I have seen quite a few on the streets here in Los Angeles in comparison to the TA. Maybe we can go for the Camaro when it comes out. The new look of the Camaro is much sleeker the the 4th generation ones.

Mattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Yes, its a cost of buying a used car.. but tell me what new performance cars you can buy now... GTO (seems like a love/hate car), Vette (if you have money), or the Mustang (if you can consider that a performance car)... so I'll keep buying/fixing used F-bodies all day long.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    That was my thought on it man! The modern day TA body look is still competitive.........I felt the longer I waited, the more miles that these TAs would have. Some people don't take care of their vehicle very, in this case, the previous owner!!!!! Freakin Aye, I felt he didn't when he found out he was going to trade it in. The TAs that are cared for, run above $15,000 with the low miles. Hoping after this repair, the engine will last me for at least another 5 years.

It's shameful about the GTO, though I have seen quite a few on the streets here in Los Angeles in comparison to the TA. Maybe we can go for the Camaro when it comes out. The new look of the Camaro is much sleeker the the 4th generation ones.

Mattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I dunno... I'm still holding my breath for the return of the Phoenix.... If the Camaro does well (which as long as they keep the cost shy of the Vette, I don't see why it wouldn't).. they SHOULD bring it back... there are just as many 'Bird only lovers as there are 'Maro only lovers... But since the 'Maro DID come first originally.. I'm hope the 6 month rule applies to the new style as well... Yes the Camaro looks nice.. well the exterior anyway, not too keen on the interior.... but I won't own one.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You dont have to remove the engine to replace the front nor the rear seal.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Question Knowledge Not Tooo Keen On This

I don't have enough knowledge to say if you are correct or not on this:

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    You dont have to remove the engine to replace the front nor the rear seal.
    But I don't see him going through the trouble of doing so when it's not necessary, especially when we are expeariencing a heat wave over here in Southern California for the past couple days. His garge is not even air condition.

It's on their cost and expense....... thus, I gave the mechanic $40 bucks asking him to keep the vehicle clean from oil when I dropped it off yesterday.

Hey, the back engine compartment is super Tight isn't it?...... how would he get to the bolt without letting the engine loose?

If you saw the images I took, oil is splatter all over the underside, due to oil engine oil pressure I guess. More than that, the uppside of the engine is clean....... so my conclusion would be from rear engine. I should have snapped a photo to share with you guys. The garage is too far away for me to pay them a visit.

Good day,
    Mattttttttttttttttttthewwwwwwwwwwww

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

The Concernnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnns

I don't know if your purchased your vehicle new or not........ I purchased mine new in 2001 with financing out the door at $33,000 with custom rims and no WS6 Package handling. I felt that it was much cheaper for me to do that Ram Air hood and stripes myself.

$33,000 is not exactly loose change in your pocket. The SS went for 6 or 7 thousand less than that. Same with the V6s. There are more Camaros on the Road than Firebirds based on the cost of supply and demand. No youngster can spill $33,000 compared to a Civic at $16,000. GM is just pricing the TA too high.

I have not previewed the how the new Camaro looks inside, thus I can't tell you...... though the Mustang is so cheap looking internally that it's shameful in design.

Oh what a hassle we have with vehicle appeal huh? Cavemen did not have concerns with their Wagon wheels!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    I dunno... I'm still holding my breath for the return of the Phoenix.... If the Camaro does well (which as long as they keep the cost shy of the Vette, I don't see why it wouldn't).. they SHOULD bring it back... there are just as many 'Bird only lovers as there are 'Maro only lovers... But since the 'Maro DID come first originally.. I'm hope the 6 month rule applies to the new style as well... Yes the Camaro looks nice.. well the exterior anyway, not too keen on the interior.... but I won't own one.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    I don't have enough knowledge to say if you are correct or not on this:

But I don't see him going through the trouble of doing so when it's not necessary, especially when we are expeariencing a heat wave over here in Southern California for the past couple days. His garge is not even air condition.

It's on their cost and expense....... thus, I gave the mechanic $40 bucks asking him to keep the vehicle clean from oil when I dropped it off yesterday.

Hey, the back engine compartment is super Tight isn't it?...... how would he get to the bolt without letting the engine loose?
    If you saw the images I took, oil is splatter all over the underside, due to oil engine oil pressure I guess. More than that, the uppside of the engine is clean....... so my conclusion would be from rear engine. I should have snapped a photo to share with you guys. The garage is too far away for me to pay them a visit.

Good day,
    Mattttttttttttttttttthewwwwwwwwwwww
    Pictures I saw had oil near the front indicating to me it came from the front. (It would travel towards the rear while driving) Front main seal is an easy swap, did it myself in my garage. If it came from the rear it wouldn't travel towards the front of the motor. Even so, dropping the tranny allows accsess to the rear main seal.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm sticking with my guess.
    I would also say that the front seal can be done without much problem. The oil pan gasket ( perhaps he calls it a seal) would be a bigger pain in the ass to do and would require the K member to be lowered.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Seal Diagram- TA Forecast

It's late over here in California, but I took my camera out to my good TA and inspected what you guys were speaking about. More than that, I wanted to reason out the point of leak through based on a visual aspect. I took pictures of my engine and marked it. I marked where I think the front seal is, please correct me if I'm wrong....

Based on this last image, it would reason that the oil seaps down from the engine front end and splatter rearward onto the K Member, the Oil pan, and the transmission?

I didn't get a chance to fully inspect the leak, but from a visual, engine frontwise top was not leaking. It must be at the bottom... but for some damn reason, could we be wrong and it is coming from the rear?

The mechanic works on the Used Car Lot Import as well as Export. Could it be that he is not very knowledgable about TA engines? Shit, I don't know but will review his diagnostic and repair this Thursday and will share my findings with you. The hooker exhaust along with C hex clamps were difficult to torque for high lbs. while laying underneath the vehicle on a ramp (my elbows had quite a workout). Thus, I imagine replacing these engine seals without a lift and proper tools would be very difficult. They have sold me one fucked up wear and tear vehicle, but it runs super hahahah!!! The Swaybar link now the seal... what next? I'm thinking to myself the warrant will expire within a week. Should I seek some soft of warrant if they offer one? I doubt they do though. With all these repair and my work of upgrading the exhaust system, I thought of duming this TA when I get it back as a Trade In for some other new Vehicle. But a big part of me saids it too soon and nurturing this TA baby back to good health should be the goal. How do you fair it?

Thank you much for the input,
    Matttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Pictures I saw had oil near the front indicating to me it came from the front. (It would travel towards the rear while driving) Front main seal is an easy swap, did it myself in my garage. If it came from the rear it wouldn't travel towards the front of the motor. Even so, dropping the tranny allows accsess to the rear main seal.
    Last edited by matthewaqui; 08-14-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation Traumatize Repair----------------

I forgot to mention. 2 months ago, I let a shop replaced my rear Saturn L200 struts along with the rotors and drums.... paid $1,200 total for the job. When I drove it the next day for at least 50 miles, I smell burning pads.

Did have time to bring it back to those Jackasses, I took the tire off and repaired their screwed up job with the parts. They did not install the coiled brake springs properly!

Mechanics are people just like us and prone to error... but they should not be prone to error when it comes to working with vehicle brakes.

And that's the deal with these mechanics. I good working on all parts of vehicles from the paint, tinting, body parts, brakes, certain engine components, internal electrical parts, but not that of the internal engine parts.

Matthew

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you have way to much time on your hands

Here's a pic of my car when I was doing my heads and cam. You can see the outline of the front seal around the perimeter. The next pic down is with the front cover on the engine.

front cover off

front cover on

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Nice Depicting Photos Orion

Hey Orion,

Thanks for posting those two photos depecting the gasket perimeter. Printed them and will bring with me when I pick up the vehicle. Though the engine bay is tight, removing the components to reveal the seals is a much better way to go then dropping the entire engine. I'm just worried that he will not put it back together bolt for bolt properly. I can't say anything now that he has dropped the engine already. Even though you may be a good mechanic, I see that room for error exist when you are working on an engine that is not in your ballpark.

Orion, I don't have way too much time on my hands man! I work an 8 hour day just like you and handle my children etc. After getting vehicle thing straighten out, I have to gut my house, redraft the plans, and supervise the additions etc. Speaking of that, this weekend I will drop the ceiling and remove the internal wall sectional.

Despite what in the hell I do, I'm first a graphical artist and Web Designer!

Thanks for the 411.... I'll be calling on you if I get the vehicle back with problems when the warranty expires All of these face icons are for you man!!!

Good day,
    Matthew
    P.S. On my way home, I have seen this one black GTO with the hood inlet time and time around.... I always think to myself what a damn shame that the external body looks like a Cavalier behind all of that engine performance. Have you done anything to improve the external appearance of your GTO?
    [QUOTE=0rion;945754]you have way to much time on your hands

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I think you should buy one of these and get busy. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...yword=tool+set

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I think you should buy one of these and get busy. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...yword=tool+set

ha aha ha... funny! I already have invested in one of those and then some. Problem is I'm not a super engine freak.... if need be, I would get knowledgable about it. But at the current time, the used vehicle is still under warranty and I'll let them deal with it.

Problem with used vehicle is "the No Cooling Off" thing. As a matter of speaking, I have a 2001 Ta just like yours...... I do have an OEM Ram Air hood that I noticed something in peculiar about. When I get home from work, I will upload the image of the hood underside.

Matttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    P.S. I'm going to call the mechanic right now to see what's going on and exactly what seal he is working on and why he dropped the engine..... will keep you posted...
    Last edited by matthewaqui; 08-15-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information