Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Question Leaking coolant from Overflow

Hey Everyone,
    I recently bought a '98 WS6. Pretty much 100% stock LS1. During the test drive the low coolant light came on. I checked the level in the radiator and the coolant tank and they were both ok. The guy said it was the sensor, and that he would replace it. He replaced the sensor before I picked it up (so he told me), and I have since driven the car about 50-60 miles. Now coolant comes out of the overflow tank once its warmed up. I noticed this does not happen when its running with the A/C on. Do you think the previous owner who put in the sensor just overfilled the tank? Possible air bubble? Something more serious like head gasket? Like I said, I have driven it around 50 miles, so if it was a head gasket it would have lost most of its coolant by now, right? (have not lost much coolant and havent added any back in) I had a ton of cooling issues with my previous LT1 and dont want to start off on the wrong foot with the LS1. Any help would be appreciated!

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

One thing you might check is that there is a coolant line to the throttle body.
    This should be below the radiator cap. There is also a coolant line to the
    overflow tank, should be the one above the radiator cap. If they are reveresed, it could cause the tank to overflow. Just a guess . . .

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Sounds like it was just over filled.......if it's coming out of the top of the overflow tank then that is the problem....you would know if it was a head gasket.....you'd have white smoke coming out of the exhaust.........

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

two things i see in my crystal ball....you do them and magicly all the coolant troubles will disappear like that cheap hooker you tried picking up.Replace the water pump gaskets and the radiator cap.The reason it doesn't do it with the ac on is the coolant fan runs more often and it doesn't get as hot.Your biggest problem is the rad cap,but i'd change those water pump gaskets to be safe.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans-Am

The new cap is a great idea. Had the cap go bad on the 2000 WS-6, and the new cap was cheap and easy to install.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Bonneville_Becky View Post
    The new cap is a great idea. Had the cap go bad on the 2000 WS-6, and the new cap was cheap and easy to install.
    me likie cheap and easy

Is it overheating? What does the temp gauge read (since you have a '98)? Do the fans continue to run after the car is turned off? If the previous owner denies any issues before replacing the sensor I'd suspect there's air in the system.

paul black ls1 02

BLACK
    2002 LS1 AUTO

hi guys i just bought 2002 ls1 having a problem with the water temp gauge,i replaced the temp sndg unit and the coolant but temp still reads 200,it doesn't matter if the car is running or not as soon as i turn the key on it the temp gauge goes to 200 pls help thank u

white/black
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by paul_97ta View Post
    hi guys i just bought 2002 ls1 having a problem with the water temp gauge,i replaced the temp sndg unit and the coolant but temp still reads 200,it doesn't matter if the car is running or not as soon as i turn the key on it the temp gauge goes to 200 pls help thank u
    I would beleive that from what you said(always the same temp) that you either have a wiring problem(a specific resistance is set into the wiring) or you have a gauge problem....
    --Justin

paul black ls1 02

BLACK
    2002 LS1 AUTO

gauge prob

hey justin so how do i fix that prob i am thinking of changing the thermostat and to what degree's let me know thank u paul

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Is it overheating? What does the temp gauge read (since you have a '98)? Do the fans continue to run after the car is turned off? If the previous owner denies any issues before replacing the sensor I'd suspect there's air in the system.
    My water temp senser went bad on my 98. It thought it was 35 degrees outside after I had driven it 100 miles in 98 degree weather. You talk about run rich, hard to start in the heat and just totally f-ed up. That water temp senser won't throw a code but the whole Air/Fuel, Spark Advance tables are corrupted and your car will run like crap.

Thread Information