Thread: leak

delinquent543

leak

There is a stain on my driveway where i park. I examined it and it looks like radiator fluid (sort of a dark red purplish) anyone else have a problem like this (or a common fix)? i jsut go home so i havent gotten a chance to double check and see if my fluid is low cuz the car is still hot. my car takes forever to heat up in the morning also (Mass winters are harsh)...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Sounds like tranny fluid...dex is more of a orange color. Look under the car and look for any wetness or drops that are forming. As far as taking forever to heat up...could be a bad thermostat combined with the cold weather...or just one of the two.

simzjr
    I agree with SevereDistortion. If you believe its coolant based on the location of the stain, in proximity to the car, you might want to look at the connectinons of the tranny oil cooler lines going into the rad....unless u have a seperate oil cooler mounted elsewhere...or you have a standard transmission. The leak still could be from the standard transmission, but it would be in a different location on the ground than say an antifreeze or other engine leak. Smell the fluid on the ground...If it smells slightly sweet you're prob looking at antifreeze...If it smells like well...tranny fluid (smell new tranny fluid to see what it smells like) you know what ur dealing with. Good luck and keep us posted.

Black
    99 SS

if its up front check the powersteering fluid level, that color is also reddish almost like the tranny fluid.

and manual tranny fluid is a different color since it is more Oil based it has the oil look and feel. because it is Gear oil.

delinquent543
    thanks for all the quick replies. I rechecked all the fluids and its tranny fluid (another good call by severe). I smelt the stain and it smelt like tranny fluid. The heat problem is probably a spent thermostat, or just the fact that it gets to be about 0 degrees at night around here. Yeah i figure its a ruptured seal or something, probably a simple fix. on the more cautious side, can leaking tranny fluid (in an a4) be a sign of bad things to come with my transmission?

Black
    99 SS

yes and check power steering

delinquent543
    i did and thats definatly full (checked hot and cold). Whats sorts of tranny problems could i be facing?

delinquent543
    any thoughts?

Black
    99 SS

well when my Th350 in my Chevelle was leaking i thought it at first was the kick down switch seal, replaced that 2 times and kept comming so then i took it into a shop and ended up having to replace the whole transmission.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    if its up front check the powersteering fluid level, that color is also reddish almost like the tranny fluid.

and manual tranny fluid is a different color since it is more Oil based it has the oil look and feel. because it is Gear oil.
    Just a little FYI--the T56 6-speed manual transmission uses Dextron III Automatic Transmission Fluid (or equivalent) and not gear oil.

Black
    99 SS

really??? why is that??? thats kinda weird, i had no idea at all it did.

delinquent543
    what exactly are the causes of a leak? Im sure there are dozens, but what are the main ones?

Thread Information