Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Latest Oil Filter Comparison

This is a discussion on Latest Oil Filter Comparison within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yup. I bought a case of the XG8A's for the GTO and the truck. Both have remote filter mounts and ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup. I bought a case of the XG8A's for the GTO and the truck. Both have remote filter mounts and take the 8A's.....Tell me if you see a lil better oil pressure....I am curious.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I won't change my oil till April at the earliest, its in storage.

It says it recommends synthetic, but i usually use mobil 5000.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Does anyone have links to any other comparisons out there? The test in the link Sarge posted is good, but I would like to see more than one test.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Problem is the "other" published test are old.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here is this one.
    http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly....nclusions.html

This one is a totally different testing of the filters...take from it what you will.

FramXG outfilters WIX/Napa Gold etc. and ties KN/Mobil1 in filtration. But more importantly outflows Mobil1/KN/WIX/PureOne.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Sarge two friends of mine were arguing. If you increase flow you will decrease pressure. One says it would increase pressure...what u think

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Sarge two friends of mine were arguing. If you increase flow you will decrease pressure. One says it would increase pressure...what u think
    Pressure is a unit of measurment for resistance.
    No resistance=no pressure.
    Greater (higher flow rate) a fluid travels depends on the least amount of resistance or lower pressure.
    Higher flow rate=lower pressure.
    Friend #1 gets 10,000 internet points.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Pressure is a unit of measurment for resistance.
    No resistance=no pressure.
    Greater (higher flow rate) a fluid travels depends on the least amount of resistance or lower pressure.
    Higher flow rate=lower pressure.
    Friend #1 gets 10,000 internet points.
    So using a better flowing filter would decrease pressure right?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The engine (block) provides significantly more resistance than the filter ever will. So with that understood....you wont see hardly (if any) difference on a factory gauge.

Usually the byproduct of a poorly constructed filter.....be it a crappy anti drainback valve or restrictive media is at cold startup......lots of clatter

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Problem is the "other" published test are old.
    That's what I was finding. All the test I found were either old or did not have a date so I didn't know.

Here is this one.
    http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly....nclusions.html

This one is a totally different testing of the filters...take from it what you will.

FramXG outfilters WIX/Napa Gold etc. and ties KN/Mobil1 in filtration. But more importantly outflows Mobil1/KN/WIX/PureOne.
    Thanks, I believe in getting as much info as I can and making my own decsion.

I went back and reread that and I sound like a smartass. It is not meant that way. I do appreciate the info and help you do. But I don't want to change things just because one person says it is good. And I know you will understand that and have said pretty much the same thing before on here. Don't be a sheep.
    The engine (block) provides significantly more resistance than the filter ever will. So with that understood....you wont see hardly (if any) difference on a factory gauge.

Usually the byproduct of a poorly constructed filter.....be it a crappy anti drainback valve or restrictive media is at cold startup......lots of clatter
    When I switched to a K&N in my "89 pickup, I noticed an increase in oil preasure on the gauge. I can't remember, but I think I was running a crappy Fram before I switched to K&N.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

After reading this thread I went from a K&N to a Mobil 1. I noticed a 5-7 psi increase.
    Lt's,SFC,3,600 Fuddle stall,Spohn Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, BMR LCA,Ls6 intake,Air lid,Under drive pulley,S60 rear,Frost tune and a few more things I cant remember.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

I have been going back and forth between Wix and Amsoil Ea filters over the years. This has at least swayed me to stay with the Ea. If they have the fram in stock here, and it's cheaper....it may sway me a bit further.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    So using a better flowing filter would decrease pressure right?
    Some. A tad. Not enough to do any harm by any strech. Do not undersell flow. Flow is good.
    Pressure is good. But 100lbs of pressure all backed up on your rod bearings is bad. Flow is good.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    That's what I was finding. All the test I found were either old or did not have a date so I didn't know.

Thanks, I believe in getting as much info as I can and making my own decsion.

I went back and reread that and I sound like a smartass. It is not meant that way. I do appreciate the info and help you do. But I don't want to change things just because one person says it is good. And I know you will understand that and have said pretty much the same thing before on here. Don't be a sheep.

When I switched to a K&N in my "89 pickup, I noticed an increase in oil preasure on the gauge. I can't remember, but I think I was running a crappy Fram before I switched to K&N.
    No you didnt come off like a smartass at all. I encourage/beg people to do their own research and not just sheeple around the internet. I just try and wet their interest to go find and challenge internet bullshit with real data.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Sarge do you have anymore info on the ACDelco "E" filters?

I noticed a pressure change on the stock gauage with the new "E" filters. When I swapped motors I used a new style "E" filter because I couldn't find the regular ACDelco. Once fully warm pressure drops to 30psi and just normal driving will hit 45-50psi or so. The needle also seems to react quicker and move faster with throttle input then before. At first I thought it was just the new motor and new LS6 pump. The 1st oil change I changed to a Mobil1 filter and the oil pressure went back to what it used to be before the motor swap. Warm at 40psi and 60psi when driving and the needle is less "jumpy". This recent oil change I went back to the "E" filter to see if it changed again and it did.

What makes up the "E" filter that changes my oil pressure so much? Now with these results that you posted I see that these don't filter that well either. With the Mobil1 filtration is better but what about the pressure difference? Thoughts?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well......
    THe AC Delco big heads decided to go cheap and went the SuperTec route. Yes SuperTec like in WalMart brand.
    Basic design of the E-Core design is a plastic (nylon) cage versus a steel cage to support the filter media. The end caps are a "cardboard" material that easily peels off. So IMHO you may as well not even have a filter.
    Here is a AC Delco E-Core after normal use.

Total garbage. Junk.

This is why your pressure fluctuated so much. You really had a free flow and minimum filtration with the e-core.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What is the correct part # for the better Fram. Autozone near me only has the PH3506 is that right?

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by brian r View Post
    What is the correct part # for the better Fram. Autozone near me only has the PH3506 is that right?
    No, it must be the extended guard "XG" P/N. It is a gold colored box, not orange.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by brian r View Post
    No it would say XG3506

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'm amazed/shocked that a Fram product tested so high. I was told since high school that Fram was the worst oil filter out there and to definitely never use them. I guess they decided to make one of their oil filters well so many people will think that all their oil filters are great.

Even after reading this, I still find it very difficult to actually buy that Fram XG filter. Perhaps one day, I may be able to override my built-in subconscious anti-Fram governor and actually purchase one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information