Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Latest Oil Filter Comparison

This is a discussion on Latest Oil Filter Comparison within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Just a characteristic of the motor. Hurts nothing....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Just a characteristic of the motor. Hurts nothing.

White
    2001 Z28

Ok first time I heard it, it kind of freaked me out but it did it all the time so if something happens ill deal with it then

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Sarge have a question on Oil Weights

I live in the deep south, so it only gets to 20 degrees maybe a week out of the entire year and gets to high 90's and a few weeks into the hundreds for the summer months. Car has 135,000 miles. I've been using Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic for awhile. Which weight should I be using for the LS1?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 01A4Z28 View Post
    i appreciate it! But is the infamous piston slap that i've heard about common in all ls based engines?
    Piston to cylinder clearances are just a bit looser than other engines it seems.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our engines exhibit piston slap due to short skirt pistons and the different expansion rates as the engine warms up. That is the best answer that I have found and it seems to make sense.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

It does no damage to the engine. None. No....a Chevy V8 LS1 does not sound like a Honda four banger. She rocks and slaps. No mechanical nor longevity issue at all.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Sarge have a question on Oil Weights

I live in the deep south, so it only gets to 20 degrees maybe a week out of the entire year and gets to high 90's and a few weeks into the hundreds for the summer months. Car has 135,000 miles. I've been using Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic for awhile. Which weight should I be using for the LS1?
    Your good.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I have read in other sources that the K&N and Mobil1 filters are the same physical filter, made by the same company and packaged for each company brand. So I would've expected them to be tied...

I usually use Mobil1, and go for K&N as a backup if no Mobil1 is on the shelf... So I am at least happy to see both in this guy's top results...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

No supertech?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I have read in other sources that the K&N and Mobil1 filters are the same physical filter, made by the same company and packaged for each company brand. So I would've expected them to be tied...

I usually use Mobil1, and go for K&N as a backup if no Mobil1 is on the shelf... So I am at least happy to see both in this guy's top results...
    Now I will really screw you up. The FramXG is the same also

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Now I will really screw you up. The FramXG is the same also
    Argh. Thanks for that!

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I've always been a Mobil 1 fan myself. I can't get past the fact I use their oil and it makes no sense why they would not sell me an equally matched filter.

I looked at the chart and the Fram XG did get a higher score but not by much and if you get rid of the cost grade it was even closer matched.

Media surface area the M1 got an A- where the Fram got a C. Would that not technically put the M1 at the top of the list if we ignored the slight final grade?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Mobil1 does not manufactuer oil filters. They do make the oil you use and are damn good at it. My point is when it comes to oil filters, brand name means absolutely nothing. Go with the top tier and get the lowest price for the best filter. This is why the pricing point is weighed here. Why pay more for a name and get the exact same filter?

I order 12 packs of wix 51522, under 5 bucks a filter and i use them on my car (ls1) and truck (lm7) good deal in my book.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Mobil1 does not manufactuer oil filters. They do make the oil you use and are damn good at it. My point is when it comes to oil filters, brand name means absolutely nothing. Go with the top tier and get the lowest price for the best filter. This is why the pricing point is weighed here. Why pay more for a name and get the exact same filter?
    I completely get that and 95% agree. As a business owner I believe making something is not the main factor. If I put my companies name on something I stand behind it as if I DID make it. That being said, M1 not physically making it does not deter me.

Do you have any input on the filter media size? M1 getting a better score on that than Fram, which would make me personally still like that filter even for the extra cash.

All that aside, WHERE THE HECK DO YOU GET A FRAM XG filter??

FYI, I have no idea why I've become a M1 suck up... Just had great luck, I'm 30 with two F-Bodies over 200k and a vette at 50k all M1 their entire life so I'm sucked into the brand

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I completely get that and 95% agree. As a business owner I believe making something is not the main factor. If I put my companies name on something I stand behind it as if I DID make it. That being said, M1 not physically making it does not deter me.

Do you have any input on the filter media size? M1 getting a better score on that than Fram, which would make me personally still like that filter even for the extra cash.

All that aside, WHERE THE HECK DO YOU GET A FRAM XG filter??

FYI, I have no idea why I've become a M1 suck up... Just had great luck, I'm 30 with two F-Bodies over 200k and a vette at 50k all M1 their entire life so I'm sucked into the brand
    LOL.....Things change. Resellers change manufacturers....what one day was quality made in the USA tomorrow is crap made in Thailand. Overnight. Look at AC Delco new "e" filters.

With the advent of various synthetic medias ....it has rendered mute/less importance the surface area consideration. Less surface area of synthetic media equates to better flow/filtration versus the "old" paper/cellulose media.

Nothing wrong with brand loyality. Just not blind brand loyality. If you go back just a little you will see I highly recommneded Mobil1 filters and bashed the shit out fo Fram. Now I have reversed with the Fram XG. Am I a two faced idiot? Some will agree I try and stay on top of all these changes. It is a continuing education process that never stops. Look at the newest API SN ratings. Changed the game again.

Do your own home work. Filter the internet chatter and rely on documented reasonable industry standard testing methodologies. Then your own experiance (UOA's on your own car)...and finally your own observations.

I was fiercely loyal to conventional Castrol 40 in my old V8's. Yes a straight 40 weight. Fram filter. AC Delco paper air filter and Valvoline 75-90 (grease) in the pumpkin. All burning up them bias ply tires.

I applaud your dedication to your hobby and your cars. You are a 1%'r
    But shit changes man.

I get my Fram XG's at WalMart.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And for the record. The absolute best oil filter(s) available today is the Amsoil line.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yep, just costs more and the average joe can't get his hands on the product...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Thus the off the shelf best of the best discussion.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yes, I also found the Extended guard...9 bucks for the camaro.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information