silver
    98 ss camaro

ladies and gents help asap

ok guys need some help I live in cali, have a 98 ss ls1 m6. Heres the issue the weld the connects the header to the cat has broke and it's making a nice but off noise. It needs to pass smog next month cats barly passed 2 yrs ago so those a probably bad anyways. So heres where I need some advice, I was thinking of the slp high flow cat(if there are any better let me know please i'm very happy with my loudmouth exhaust, could be deeper but i like it.) The idea is to put the high flows on (will this pass smog.) then I want to add some headers and a y pipe. I had a cut out wasn't electronic got a ticket so had to fix, so also thinking about getting a cut out maybe 2 and electronic this time so I can close it when cops are around. so what kinda headers, high flow, and y pipe and where to put the cut out/ outs.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

there are many different kindas of headers. I would recommend the Kooks 1 3-4 stepped to 1 7/8 coated, but they are a little pricey, about 900 for the header 200+ to get them coated. Pacesetter makes a good header for the price, coated about 350-400.

Cats are a pain in the ass, SLP high flow seem ok, I run the magna flow high flows. Not sure if SLP has the metalic spun filter, but would go with those rather then traditional ceramic core ones.

Y pipes are pretty much universal (kinda). best off is to get one that is made for your headers. Or in the case of the pacesetters you can also use the TSP one.

Cutout placement- Depends on how low your car is. If if is dropped I wouldn't recommend putting it on or near the Y pipe. rather put it on the I pipe before it goes over the axle. Most clearance then esp. if running elec one.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by QKSLVR View Post
    there are many different kindas of headers. I would recommend the Kooks 1 3-4 stepped to 1 7/8 coated, but they are a little pricey, about 900 for the header 200+ to get them coated. Pacesetter makes a good header for the price, coated about 350-400.

Cats are a pain in the ass, SLP high flow seem ok, I run the magna flow high flows. Not sure if SLP has the metalic spun filter, but would go with those rather then traditional ceramic core ones.

Y pipes are pretty much universal (kinda). best off is to get one that is made for your headers. Or in the case of the pacesetters you can also use the TSP one.

Cutout placement- Depends on how low your car is. If if is dropped I wouldn't recommend putting it on or near the Y pipe. rather put it on the I pipe before it goes over the axle. Most clearance then esp. if running elec one.
    thanks I was thinking krooks for the headers too i'm willing to pay the money, headers are more in a few months thought, the cutouts ypipe and cats i need to do now so with krooks being the choice any ypipe suggestions, and should I got with on cutout on the i-pipe or one each at the end ends on the y-pipe I really want true duels but in cali i'm sure i'd get caught. The coated headers how big of a difference from stock do they look as in if i'm a cop that doesn't know too much and I pop the hook it it going to attract my attention?

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    thanks I was thinking krooks for the headers too i'm willing to pay the money, headers are more in a few months thought, the cutouts ypipe and cats i need to do now so with krooks being the choice any ypipe suggestions, and should I got with on cutout on the i-pipe or one each at the end ends on the y-pipe I really want true duels but in cali i'm sure i'd get caught. The coated headers how big of a difference from stock do they look as in if i'm a cop that doesn't know too much and I pop the hook it it going to attract my attention?
    Coated headers look a hell of a lot different than stock manifolds. Anyone with basic car knowledge should be able to look under the hood and see that they're not stock. I thought the only way you'd be able to run headers and be legal in California was to run shortys?... As for a cut-out I would suggest putting them after the collector on the y-pipe 2 of them.

Broham is correct. Long tube headers aren't legal in California,,,even with cats....I know it sounds strange, even if it were to pass the sniffer test,,,,California does not allow the cats to be moved further down stream from their stock location.

Other states are soft on this, but California is sticky here.

Coated long tube headers stand out like a sore thumb when the hood is open. I prefer the painted headers myself,,,just been around the coated so long and learned a few things I didn't care for.....with that said I paint them black,,,they hide quite well that way and don't jump out at you as the first thing you see... But of course they make dark color coatings as well so they don't pop out so much if it's coatings that you prefer...

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Broham is correct. Long tube headers aren't legal in California,,,even with cats....I know it sounds strange, even if it were to pass the sniffer test,,,,California does not allow the cats to be moved further down stream from their stock location.

Other states are soft on this, but California is sticky here.

Coated long tube headers stand out like a sore thumb when the hood is open. I prefer the painted headers myself,,,just been around the coated so long and learned a few things I didn't care for.....with that said I paint them black,,,they hide quite well that way and don't jump out at you as the first thing you see... But of course they make dark color coatings as well so they don't pop out so much if it's coatings that you prefer...
    yeah i know there illegal but what i've heard with shorty's not worth the work i'm gonna make her pass smog seems like others believe the high flow cats will pass smog so i'm gonna put those on because my cars have to be done by now. Then after it passes smog its good for 2 years I just want to do what i can to make it the least noticable incase I get pulled over So I know i'm going to have to put the stock ones back on in 2 yrs and smog her again then headers back on long prosses i'll probably just find someone I can pay 300 bucks to and have them pass it illegal just ignore the visual lol. So what can I do to make it look the least noticalbe.

If I read you right, then you don't mind switching back and forth between the stock setup and some longtubes so you can smog the car.

If it were me thats what I would do, just to get the car smogged, flash in the stock tune and go. Once done switch back to your long tubes and such, flash in the custom tune and be done with it.

Only every couple of years anyway, not so bad to do I guess. Probably switch it all in a weekend..

yeah i know there illegal but what i've heard with shorty's not worth the work
    If thats the case then leave the stock manifolds on the car,,,switch back and forth between manifolds and longtubes for smog testing and be done with it....

So what can I do to make it look the least noticalbe.
    I guess I don't understand what it is you are trying to hide

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Jet Hot makes coatings that are dark in color and won't really stand out to much, also if you know a place that does powder coating, ask if they have the high temp stuff. I got my pacesetters powder coated with some stuff that is supposed to be good up to like 1700 degrees.. Holds up great against the heat.. The tops and most of the primaries still look like the day i put them in. The water has taken toll on the collectors though..

Another option besides shorty headers are the Mac mids. If you take the time and clean up the welds and what not I hear the flow pretty damn good. Had them on my car for about a yr and a half they were pretty good. And you can probably get close enough to stock location of Cats with them

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I guess I don't understand what it is you are trying to hide
    Yeah i'm gonna just switch it out when it's time well see I just did a insurenece claim for some damage that didn't get fixed from when i got side swipped they. The insurence company said theres no way that from the accident I showed them pics from a month before they said still not from the accident must have been vandals. So i said fine and filled another claim and i'm gonna pay my deductable and get it fixed but now there saying they might have to total the car so whatever if they do I'm gonna buy a newer camaro headers are going on either one I want to make it stand out as little as possible if the hoods popped I know it's not going to look stock but anything I can do to get it to look close to or is just painting it black gonna be the best option.

Thread Information