Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

knocking when I gas it

This is a discussion on knocking when I gas it within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED Could you tell me what sea foam is?? and do you mean catch can for the ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Could you tell me what sea foam is?? and do you mean catch can for the pcv valve? please explain thank you!
    Well if I must, a simple google turned up this. http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm It will help clean carbon build up off the pistons. A catch can will keep oil out of your intake and combustion chambers and help to prevent carbon build up.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Well if I must, a simple google turned up this. http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm It will help clean carbon build up off the pistons. A catch can will keep oil out of your intake and combustion chambers and help to prevent carbon build up.
    Damn -I didnt mean to put you out like that. Pshhhhhhh

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

My 02 did the same thing, octane booster messed with my plugs and set off check engine codes for the cats at times. Once I stopped using it, codes went away. Seafoam works GREAT! GM top engine cleaner is the best though and price is just a little more than seafoam. To me the GM Top engine cleaner did a better job. I would get ping on hills when car lugged a little and random pinging...certain gas would make it go away, then it would come right back. I ran the GM top engine cleaner(I was paranoid to put too much in), so I had to do it a second time and used about 3/4 of a bottle. Ran it through my pcv line, used a funnel, poured the cleaner through the pcv until the car started to run rough, then gave the car a slight amount of gas to keep it running..finally it died. Let the car sit for 15 minutes, then started it up. Smoke poured from the exhaust like a factory, whole block was covered in a cloud lol. Let car idle and gave it a little gas for about 10 minultes, then took it for a drive, when it seemed like it was running good again, I did a few WOT runs. Haven't had that issue with ping since I did the cleaner. Well worth a try and never heard of anyone hurting anything doing it. Just don't start doing higher rpm revs until it is running like normal again. Also, it will set off a check engine light..mine said missfire and something else. Nothing to worry about, is normal. Some people put it through the brake booster line to the engine also.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I run it thru the brake booster line. It's easy. If you wanna get real thorough some have removed the spark plugs and poured it right into the cylinders thru a funnel and let it sit overnight. Never tried that tho. I've always heard GM top end cleaner and Seafoam were basically the same thingand I believe it's also a good idea to change the oil after doin this so may wanna wait till then.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

The top end cleaner(seafoam or GM) doesn't touch oil, so no need to change oil. Whatever gas will touch, is what it will clean. People do run some seafoam in the oil before changes to clean up the inside of the engine though. With the LS1 it has a tendency to build carbon on top of the pistons, which causes the pinging from pre detonation.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 06-29-2007 at 07:03 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I run it thru the brake booster line. It's easy. If you wanna get real thorough some have removed the spark plugs and poured it right into the cylinders thru a funnel and let it sit overnight. Never tried that tho. I've always heard GM top end cleaner and Seafoam were basically the same thingand I believe it's also a good idea to change the oil after doin this so may wanna wait till then.
    I read that a oil change would be a good idea also just to make sure because the oil could get some product in it etc. Better safe then sorry I say. I read a few articles about pinging/detonation and almost everyone who did the top end cleaner solved the problem. Mine is barely noticable but I am super picky and am gonna try it out. Gm stuff is ten bucks so thats very reasonable. Thanks for the tip!!

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

where can you buy seafoam?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

this has really peaked my interest because I just bought my 01 and I'm very particular about my cars... and I've ran that gm stuff through other vehicles and it does wonders... so I'm really very interested to see if this solves the problem please keep us updated

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

seafoam??????????????/

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    seafoam??????????????/
    You can buy it any napa...probably online too

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

i also have a little knocking when i gas it. so this stuff is good for stopping it? whats the best way to use it? also, which one of their products?thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    i also have a little knocking when i gas it. so this stuff is good for stopping it? whats the best way to use it? also, which one of their products?thanks
    Read here: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534376

I am in the exact same boat as the thread starter.

Let us know if theis SeaShit works.

I live iN martin County.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I put some 104 octane booster in and problem solved for now. I plan on doing the seafoam or gm top engine cleaner soon though. I was told by changing the shift points between 3-4 gear will help with this as well because mine only does it in 4th gear(around 45 mph) when I gas it (but not so hard to make it kick down to 3rd gear). I did read a article(written by a mechanic) claiming like 49 out of 50 cars with that pinging was completely fixed with the gm top engine cleaner.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

INMY01TA Thanks alot for the link on how to use the Seafoam. That really helps. I am all for it but a couple people spoke of ticking noises after use and a couple of people had rough idle but it seemed the majority had great results.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Breakneck, mine does the same thing my friend.
    I always thought the symptoms were hard to describe, so I let a mechanic at the dealership
    drive my car and he couldn't reproduce the sound. Your description of the symptoms and problem
    are perfect. I think you nailed it with the AC compressor though. If I think about it, I'm pretty sure
    mine only does that with the air on also. I tried Octane Booster, I only run Mobil1 Synthetic, Cleaning,
    blablabla... I wonder if replacing the AC compressor would solve the problem...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Breakneck, mine does the same thing my friend.
    I always thought the symptoms were hard to describe, so I let a mechanic at the dealership
    drive my car and he couldn't reproduce the sound. Your description of the symptoms and problem
    are perfect. I think you nailed it with the AC compressor though. If I think about it, I'm pretty sure
    mine only does that with the air on also. I tried Octane Booster, I only run Mobil1 Synthetic, Cleaning,
    blablabla... I wonder if replacing the AC compressor would solve the problem...
    You know now that I think about it I never heard the ping untill the bearings started to go in my ac compressor. The bearings progressivly got worse and are now so bad they make noise when the ac is off(very embarassing). I have just about enough money to get a new compressor,accumulator etc. so I am hopeful that may be the solution. Damn new compressor is almost 500 bucks shipped!!! LOL I am not even wasting my time with a rebuilt one.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    INMY01TA Thanks alot for the link on how to use the Seafoam. That really helps. I am all for it but a couple people spoke of ticking noises after use and a couple of people had rough idle but it seemed the majority had great results.
    You're welcome. His write up is alittle in depth. I just put it all through the brake boost line and dont worry about it stalling. It never has. Take off the AC belt till you get a new compressor and see if that helps. My car has been knocking in the extreme heat lately with the AC on as well. Got a new cam going in soon and gonna put a 160' thermostat and rig the fans to come on sooner and I think that should help too.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

my car is still making the rattle sound when i get on it. i done the seafoam, i installed a catch can, changed pcv valve,going to change oil in the morning. what weight would be best to use? thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information