Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Knock at start-up

This is a discussion on Knock at start-up within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; you could always post a sound recording of your engine. i plan on posting a clip of my 02. my ...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

you could always post a sound recording of your engine. i plan on posting a clip of my 02. my 02 sounds way worse than my old 99. i wouldn't worry about it too much as the others have said. my 02 pulls strong through the gears even though it sounds like crap compared to my 99. I'll try to get a clip tomorrow so you can hear it. i swear my engine knocks all the time, lol... But definitely at cold start is sounds like a freakin diesel but quiets down after it worse up. i mean you can hear the slappy happy knock over the muffle on a cold day. tomorrow morning will be "cold" where i live, so i should have a pretty good diesel knock going, .

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

drive it until something breaks...then you'll know what to fix.

silver
    02 z28

its the ls motor.. my mechanic has worked at chevy dealer for many years and said people brought in their cars all the time for that knock. its just piston slap.. as long as it doesnt do it at high rpms, your cool

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

here are links to vids i shot, hope it helps you compare engines. I found an older one of my 99 and made a new one of my 02. i'm not expert but i think i was wrong earlier. i think my 99 was just as noisy as the 02.

02 - http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=719110
    99 - http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=719115 - for some reason it is not getting picked up for encoding.

99 - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc64mv49ptw[/ame]

I have had people comment on both engines and say they sound just normal. But if you can hear the engine rev you will notice the low noise under the sewing machine noise stays with the rev. i don't know if this is piston slap, rod knock, or normal. i know my 99 was strong and i loved getting on it. the 02 is just as fun to run through the gears.

hope this helps you Croslod, .
    Last edited by kool-aide; 11-13-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added youtube link

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

My 02 sounds pretty much the same this morning it was in the 50's outside and it sounded like a diesel lol. In my experience the 02s are louder than the previous years my friends 98 and 00 is pretty quiet compared to my and another friends 02.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks everyone! I figured it was normal, yesterday i started it at work and sat there while i replyed to a couple text messages, maybe for two or three minutes tops and when i left the parking lot. No Duramax! Also the oil press comes up immediately at start up, so i'm leaning away from oil starvation. I've ran a few people and it see's 6000 daily so i'm ruling out the rods also.

Pewter
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Many peoples last more than 30-60 seconds atleast mine does its audible till operating temp then it goes away ie about 10 min. If you can rev the engine and the noise disappears you do not have a rod problem or a bent pushrod. Those will get louder as the rpms go up the rod especially will be REALLY loud. Try using a 10w40 dino oil i started using Pennzoil YB per advice from bobistheoilguy.com and it has significantly decreased the slap even over the german castrol.
    Are you saying this will help "piston slap"

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

The type of oil you use definetley cuts down on piston slap as it gives a cushion for the piston in the cylinder wall. People say the german castrol is very good for it but after using it at $6 a quart bobistheoilguy.com suggested dino pennzoil or pennzoil platinm, i bought regular dino pennzoil and I still have the slap but it is quieter than what it was.

Pewter
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    The type of oil you use definetley cuts down on piston slap as it gives a cushion for the piston in the cylinder wall. People say the german castrol is very good for it but after using it at $6 a quart bobistheoilguy.com suggested dino pennzoil or pennzoil platinm, i bought regular dino pennzoil and I still have the slap but it is quieter than what it was.
    Thanks man. Any other tricks for PS? LOL.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ya a I just put lt's and an ory on my car with a catback and now it just drowns it out lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information