Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Knock Sensors toast after engine washing??

Since I washed my engine I am getting P0332 & P0327 codes every other cycle. I got one of them prior to washing the motor but just cleared it.

Is it really possible to kill the knock sensor just by washing the engine?

I will measure the resistance tonight after it cools off with DMM.

If this is possible, is there anything to do when I replace them to prevent and engine cleaning from ruining them again?

Could also explain the poor performance as I read the advance is limited to 4 degrees when either of these codes are set.

Thanks!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jfl330 View Post
    Since I washed my engine I am getting P0332 & P0327 codes every other cycle. I got one of them prior to washing the motor but just cleared it.

Is it really possible to kill the knock sensor just by washing the engine?

I will measure the resistance tonight after it cools off with DMM.

If this is possible, is there anything to do when I replace them to prevent and engine cleaning from ruining them again?

Could also explain the poor performance as I read the advance is limited to 4 degrees when either of these codes are set.

Thanks!!
    Our KS are prone to water damage from engine washing. It is common. The water seeps in between the intake and the valley cover and gets into the KS's. Overtime the get rusted and eventually fail. It's possible that one or both sensors were going bad since you mentioned the codes were poping before the engine wash. They probably got soaked with water and cause the problem to get worse.

The other problem could be the harness that it is corroded or the terminals broke.

You need to remove the intake, remove the KS harness and replace the KS's.
    Replace them both. It's not worth it taking one out and then next week the other goes out. If you never replaced the harness I will do it as well.

Put a bead of RTV around the holes were the KS goes on top of the valley cover. This will create a seal when you put the intake back and will prevent water from getting in. Be careful not to pinch the harness when installing the intake back.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Even if the KS harness connectors appear intact, inspect them closely for corrosion. You can apply a dab of dielectric grease to the connectors to further protect them upon installation.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

what did you use to clean the engine a pressure washer?

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    what did you use to clean the engine a pressure washer?
    No just the regular garden hose, but I was more than liberal with the water. I guess I won't be dong that again.

Jon

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

No just the regular garden hose, but I was more than liberal with the water. I guess I won't be dong that again.

Jon
    I wash mine but i avoid using straight stream of water. I spray some degreaser then spray with garden hose with a shower setting nozzle. I go around as quickly as possible. Then I use a leaf blower to blow the leftover water. I keep the engine bay as clean as possible because i don't have to use alot of water and degreaser.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Thanks for the help guys, 2 sensors, harness, and intake gaskets on order. Should have this done by week's end.

Jon

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I wash mine but i avoid using straight stream of water. I spray some degreaser then spray with garden hose with a shower setting nozzle. I go around as quickly as possible. Then I use a leaf blower to blow the leftover water. I keep the engine bay as clean as possible because i don't have to use alot of water and degreaser.
    Minus the blower I do the same thing. 1st time was a major pain because I don't think it was ever done. After that it's been a breeze. I spray 50/50 mixture of water/simple green and let it sit for 5-10 mins then use a brush on built up areas but mostly have to just rinse it off.

It's so damn hot here it dries off in about 30 mins.

I start her up to make sure and let her idle for about 2 mins.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Minus the blower I do the same thing. 1st time was a major pain because I don't think it was ever done. After that it's been a breeze. I spray 50/50 mixture of water/simple green and let it sit for 5-10 mins then use a brush on built up areas but mostly have to just rinse it off.

It's so damn hot here it dries off in about 30 mins.

I start her up to make sure and let her idle for about 2 mins.
    This will be the procedure going forward, hot as hell from now until late October here too.

Jon

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

This will be the procedure going forward, hot as hell from now until late October here too.

Jon
    i just realized you are from Tampa. Yup is freaking hot in the sunshine state.

Navy Blue Metallic

Next time I'm in O-land visiting the Mouse, I'll see if I can call on ya'hh Jay

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

i just realized you are from Tampa. Yup is freaking hot in the sunshine state.
    Even hotter where you are, at least we've got the gulf to moderate the temps a little bit. I have never been hotter in my life then some trips we made to Orlando themeparks during the summer.

Jon

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Even hotter where you are, at least we've got the gulf to moderate the temps a little bit. I have never been hotter in my life then some trips we made to Orlando themeparks during the summer.

Jon
    oh yeah thememparks are crazy hot. thats why im not going to them. i work next to aquatica and its crazy hot in there.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Next time I'm in O-land visiting the Mouse, I'll see if I can call on ya'hh Jay
    absolutely. Let me know.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

I'm an hour from Orlando, let me know and I'll shoot over too.

Jon

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I'm an hour from Orlando, let me know and I'll shoot over too.

Jon
    I have to take a trip to Tampa soon. I was thinking to go to Tampa Tuning's get together's once a month.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Thanks for the help guys, 2 sensors, harness, and intake gaskets on order. Should have this done by week's end.

Jon
    you won't need those intake gaskets. You can change them if you want but I've had my intake off a half dozen times easily and still on the same gaskets. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see them.

Water kills knock sensors period. There are 2 kinds of water using engine washers.....those that have had problems.....and those that will. These engines aren't like your dad's gen 1's. There's a ton of electronics on these engines and even though they have weather pack connectors those connectors are 10-15 years old.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'd love to be a fly on the wall @ your neighbors house..lmao!
    Very good idea tho..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall @ your neighbors house..lmao!
    Very good idea tho..
    lol it works. it gets rid of the leftover water around the intake holes, etc.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you won't need those intake gaskets. You can change them if you want but I've had my intake off a half dozen times easily and still on the same gaskets. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see them.

Water kills knock sensors period. There are 2 kinds of water using engine washers.....those that have had problems.....and those that will. These engines aren't like your dad's gen 1's. There's a ton of electronics on these engines and even though they have weather pack connectors those connectors are 10-15 years old.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I won't buy them unless when I take it off I see they're needed. I can get a set up the street if I need them. Only thought is that for ~ $20, I know the manifold will not have to come off again anytime soon if they are weak, dryrotting, etc.

Jon

Thread Information