silver
    98 Trans Am

knock sensor code with new knock sensors?

A few months ago i had my knock sensors replaced because one was bad. I used real gm parts btw. I knew id have a code for egr that was disabled because of the ls6 intake done at the same time. I was at the auto parts store the other day and i figured id have em check my code just to make sure it was only egr. It said i had a code for knock sensors? Eventually i was planning a tune when i get done with my mods to get rid of these codes, but what i was wondering is-- Should it still have a bad knock sensor code when i replaced both knock sensors? Or is this just a code that has to be pulled out of the computer at a dealer or with a tune even after replacement. Just making sure- it would SUCK for one of my brand new knock sensors to be bad, and have to pay to have replaced again!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Clear it and see if they come back.

silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Clear it and see if they come back.
    they did at the parts store- came right back

silver
    2000 formula

new wire harness?

silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    new wire harness?
    NO- but the shop checked it and said it was fine. Would a bad harness cause it so say the sensor is bad?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by zaaronz View Post
    they did at the parts store- came right back
    If you paid to have them replaced just a few months ago I would take it back to the place that did it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    new wire harness?

this

NO- but the shop checked it and said it was fine. Would a bad harness cause it so say the sensor is bad?
    thing is the knock sensors are down in a counter sunk hole and get corroded up when moisture builds up in them. it ruins the harness, always replace the harness when you do knock sensors and make a dam of rtv around the holes so when you douche your engine bay they dont fill back up with water

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what was the actual code number and do you wash the engine with a garden hose? If so have you washed it since replacing the sensors? This is also a job you could do very easily and save yourself a lot of money.

silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what was the actual code number and do you wash the engine with a garden hose? If so have you washed it since replacing the sensors? This is also a job you could do very easily and save yourself a lot of money.
    I cant remember the actual code, and no i havent washed it since then- thats how i ruined it in the 1st place. So basically it shouldnt have that code if it has new knock sensors? I havent called the shop yet because somebody was telling me this whole time that it was supposed to have that ks code untill i had a tune, even with new ks.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I cant remember the actual code, and no i havent washed it since then- thats how i ruined it in the 1st place. So basically it shouldnt have that code if it has new knock sensors? I havent called the shop yet because somebody was telling me this whole time that it was supposed to have that ks code untill i had a tune, even with new ks.
    Are you positive they use new sensors? We had a member that had KS sensor replaced by a shop and he said they replaced them. The code came back and he eventually decided to take the intake out. To his surprise the old sensors were still in there. I know you mention you used GM parts but are you sure they use them? Like the guys mention take it back. Another thing that happens is that the sensor harness gets pinch under the intake causing problems.

silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Are you positive they use new sensors? We had a member that had KS sensor replaced by a shop and he said they replaced them. The code came back and he eventually decided to take the intake out. To his surprise the old sensors were still in there. I know you mention you used GM parts but are you sure they use them? Like the guys mention take it back. Another thing that happens is that the sensor harness gets pinch under the intake causing problems.
    I sure hope so- they did show me my old ones,and they were BAD. I took it to East Texas Muscle Cars, i took it there because they are so used to working on ls motors i figured i could trust em, plus a friend of mine is really good friends with the owner/mech. So i guess somehow i got a bad-new-knock sensor-or its the harness(which i told em to replace if it looked bad). I guess i need to get it back to that shop asap now and get this figured out..

02 WS6 Stock

You have to make sure they torqued them to 14lb (i think) or it could cause problems.

When you say the code "came right back" how long after you cleared them did they come right back?

These are the conditions for it setting off the SES:

*The ECT must be greater than 60°C (140°F).
    *The engine RPM is between 475-975 for 10 seconds.
    * Engine speed is between 1500-3,000 RPM.
    * Map is less than 49 kPa.
    * Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 60°C (140°F).
    * Throttle angle is more than 0 percent.
    * Engine run time is more than 10 seconds.
    * Ignition voltage is more than 10 volts

and

* The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP this may be the reason for your codes popping up

I did a LS6 intake swap back in Sep 2010 and shortly after I started getting codes. Well a couple of weeks ago I did the LS6 valley cover tray mod and found this in the pic above. The KS wire harness got pinched because it was moved around while installing the intake. This time I used a couple of pieces of masking tape to hold in place while I re-installed the intake. Problem fixed. I'm willing to bet $$ that this is what happen to your wire harness.

Also did you upgrade to the 99-02 Knock sensors?
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-27-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    OP this may be the reason for your codes popping up

Click for full size

I did a LS6 intake swap back in Sep 2010 and shortly after I started getting codes. Well a couple of weeks ago I did the LS6 valley cover tray mod and found this in the pic above. The KS wire harness got pinched because it was moved around while installing the intake. This time I used a couple of pieces of masking tape to hold in place while I re-installed the intake. Problem fixed. I'm willing to bet $$ that this is what happen to your wire harness.

Also did you upgrade to the 99-02 Knock sensors?
    +2 thx for the pic

Thread Information