Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kicked off the track for running too fast. Need cage.

This is a discussion on Kicked off the track for running too fast. Need cage. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; thats what i was planning to do. I want the door rails to be were i can remove them if ...

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

thats what i was planning to do. I want the door rails to be were i can remove them if i need to. I got all winter to save the money to get one. From what i seen from yours i believe ill go that route. could you feel a difference in your car after installing the cage?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by matt evans View Post
    thats what i was planning to do. I want the door rails to be were i can remove them if i need to. I got all winter to save the money to get one. From what i seen from yours i believe ill go that route. could you feel a difference in your car after installing the cage?
    Wolfe sells swing out bars...I believe they're $150 per side.

When I installed the cage, we cut my 2-point subframe connectors off and welded new 3-point connectors on. I can jack up my car from the rear driver side jack point and the entire rear half of the car comes up...it's really freaking stiff.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

thats sexy lol.what is it you were running in your car before you put your cage in?

LPM
    2000 Z28

Be careful with what you choose. From my understanding a roll bar is needed if you run less that 7.50 in the 1/8. Look into the NHRA and IHRA rules. What I was told was that <7.50 requires a 6 point cage. And the swing out arms aren't legal unless you have a 10 point. Not all tracks are sticklers like that, but keep that in mind. I planned to put a roll bar in mine until I talked with my local track and they dont allow swing out bars. My car is driven some on the weekends so I can't justify climbing over the bars all the time.

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by matt evans View Post
    thats sexy lol.what is it you were running in your car before you put your cage in?
    12.54@111 with only headers, catback, and lid...I did that three years ago. Car has been given me problems the last few season, so I haven't gotten to run. I figured with my new motor, I'll be somewhere in the 10s. We shall see in the spring.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by derekbuckner1 View Post
    My car is driven some on the weekends so I can't justify climbing over the bars all the time.
    I got used to it real quick. I just hop right in now without even noticing the bars.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I got used to it real quick. I just hop right in now without even noticing the bars.
    Good to hear. Your setup looks real good. I'll end up with one, I've just decided against it for this winter

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

Im the same. ive put 2000 miles on my car in the last year but thats cause for 3 months i was fighting that trans code i was getting and doing the suspension. If its not that much of a pain to get over the bars then i wont mess with the swingouts. Ive not been lucky to run on a 1/4 mile yet, all we have here thats close is 1/8. They remember my car so i kinda got to keep them happy so i can keep running there. It been nice if they would have let us run more so we could see what we needed to work on but thats the rules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information