Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Pewter
    '00 SS

Keeping stock intake

I know a mechanic that says the stock ls1 intake is capable of up to 600rwhp. If this is true or not, I would like your input. Also, what are your opinions on port and polish tb and ls1 heads? I want to get the most out of what the car came with. I am going to do a cam eventually. Just wondering what those 2 would do for performance. If you know hp numbers on those 2 mods, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

only with a serious amount of N2O will a beefed up ls1 with heavy duty bolt on's could it reach 600hp and I think you would have to have turbos or supercharger and forged internals.

The money you would be putting into the stock heads would be better saved for some LS6 heads. you can get a used air as low as $400 and new C&C P&P cam be had for $2000 or less (depending on brand)

Many of us here have P&P stock and aftermarket TB. P&P stock ones are very affordable and give good gains, now if you get a FAST intake, you will need to go bigger to get and benefits.

Pewter
    '00 SS

What I meant by the intake being capable of that much hp, is that I don't need to get a new intake unless I want to go above that. My guy tells me that a lot of people downtalk the stock ls1 intake when in reality it is capable of a lot. Any comments on that?

About the heads, are you suggesting that I do just buy the ls6 heads instead of p&p mine?

I know a guy that p&p his tb on a 4 runner (beefed up motor obviously) and got great gains. I am trying to do as many free mods as I can for now. Kinda have a lack of options living in Hawaii.

Thanks for your help
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Navy Blue Metallic

Yes, go with a P&P TB if you are staying with a LS1 or LS6 intake.

As far as intakes go for the LS engines it's:

FAST 102 > FAST 90 > LS6 > LS1

I say yes, save for better heads. you can only port out a smaller head like the LS1 compare to the LS6 heads. If you go the used route look for GM 243 or 799 heads. The 799 are the same has the 243's just an earlier model

Trick Flow, PRC, AFR are some really good heads, but you have to pay for quality

Pewter
    '00 SS

Sounds good. Thanks for your input

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

To answer the question...Getting an LS6 or Fast intake will increase power even on a stock LS1 engine.

So in most opinions of LS1 owners the LS1 intake is not suitable up to 600hp...most people swap out for an LS6 intake when stock for more power but the power added is increased even more if you go to heads/cam.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

while chances are you can retain the ls1 intake, it would eventually become a huge choke point for the engine performance in that HP range.

as others have said, there are alternatives should you like to upgrade down the road.

personally, i feel the FASt 90/90 combo is where it's at.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I think I will do the intake eventually. It's just gonna be one of the last things I do

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    I think I will do the intake eventually. It's just gonna be one of the last things I do
    If you ever do heads or cam....It would be VERY beneficial to change out the LS1 intake.

I mean its still beneficial to do anytime though...you only have to swap it once!

Pewter
    '00 SS

Agreed. I really was asking to see if anyone out there still has the stock intake. I am gonna do head/can first. And from what u guys have said, I guess I'm gonna do the intake as well but later down the road. So, i guess now the question is what intake to get? I see someone said fast 90/90. Any other suggestions and reasons why please

Navy Blue Metallic

Agreed. I really was asking to see if anyone out there still has the stock intake. I am gonna do head/can first. And from what u guys have said, I guess I'm gonna do the intake as well but later down the road. So, i guess now the question is what intake to get? I see someone said fast 90/90. Any other suggestions and reasons why please
    If your planning on serious cam and heads with supporting bolt ons then for the best bang for the buck a FAST 90. They are getting hard to get. Used one is about 450-600. There's a FAST 102, they go for about $1000

The LS6 intake is a good upgrade for a medium level cam and good heads. You can get them for about $350 used. Most ppl that keep their cars for cruising and mild track use get these. Also ppl that like me that want something better then the stock intake but don't have the cam and heads yet to support getting a FAST. I know I'll upgrade eventually to a FAST, but I'm still a yr or 2 away from getting a C/H upgrade. I'm trying to get my suspension and rear done first.

Pewter
    '00 SS

What rearend do u recommend since you mentioned it? I take from most of the write ups that used intakes aren't too bad? What should I look for in a used intake if I go that route?

Pewter
    '00 SS

Smw, I know we talked about this earlier in this thread but now that you see where I'm headed, what are your opinions of p/p my tb until I get the intake/tb? Won't cost me anything to do. I have a friend that works on cars out of his garage at home for a living and he loves the ls1's. So I'm lucky on that part.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Also SMS, I have been in contact with a guy from compcam, he says to do the intake first to avoid getting the wrong head/cam to match. What do you think?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree...do your intake at the same time. If not you'll be back at the tuner having him retune it. Don't keep that LS1 intake with a heads/cam.....at a minimum get an LS6.

As far as rearends go there are a bunch of options out there. Are you an auto or stick car and how much track time with sticky tires will the car see?

Pewter
    '00 SS

No track for the next couple years. Then some track use. Not to be rude, but my question was should I get the intake first then h/c? I can't afford it all at once

Navy Blue Metallic

Yeah you can get away with a intake* first before cam/heads. FAST 90 or 102 you will need a tune.

* - LS6 Intake

98 Formula
    06 duramax

No track for the next couple years. Then some track use. Not to be rude, but my question was should I get the intake first then h/c? I can't afford it all at once
    should I even ask if you have headers?

Get all of your bolt on and complimentary mods prior to your heads/cam.....or save a little longer and do them all at once. That's ideally the way to go....just everything at one time. Problem is not everyone, myself included, can wait that long. I had ALL of my mods done prior to my heads/cam. That was the last thing I did.

Also, are you an auto car or stick car? If an auto you'll want a stall prior to heads/cam too.

not to be rude myself but that wasn't the only question you asked:
    What rearend do u recommend since you mentioned it? I take from most of the write ups that used intakes aren't too bad? What should I look for in a used intake if I go that route?
    Last edited by 0rion; 06-26-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Pewter
    '00 SS

No need to ask. I have all the bolt on type stuff I need. That's why I ask. If I do do intake first, u say I need a tune. Does that mean I need 2 tunes by the time it's all done? If so does it make since to buy everything and just hold it until time to install all of it and do one great tune?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your tune situation will depend on which way you go really. If you do heads/cam first (what it sounded like you were wanting to do) you will need to tune for the heads/cam then down the road if you add an intake you'll want to tune it again.
    If you did the intake first it would really depend on which intake as to whether you should get the tune. A fast intake and I would probably get a tune.....an LS6 intake and you could get away with holding off on the tune. If you do the cam first you should get a retune again regardless of which intake you go with.
    A tune is beneficial even on a completely stock car. The goal here is to minimize work and money. That's why I say try to do it to where you only need to tune once. Most shops will either include a free re-tune if it's inside a certain timeframe ( usually a year) and some will give you a heavy discount on your second tune. You'll have to look into your tuning options out there and see which fits you best.
    You're starting off correctly though.....get this stuff figured out before hand instead of winging it and you'll be much better off in the end. You can easily just do the cam now and hold off on the intake....keep in mind though that you'll be leaving a nice chunk of horsepower on the table by doing that and later on when you get the intake you'll have to pay again for another tune.

Thread Information