Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Keeping stock intake

This is a discussion on Keeping stock intake within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 0rion the point I was making is an LS6 intake is in the $325-$350 range where as ...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the point I was making is an LS6 intake is in the $325-$350 range where as a Fast set up is probably close to a grand more. That's $1000 you spend for ~3/10's. I could spend that grand on some spray and go a second faster easily. I'm not saying the fast isn't a good intake.....I just don't feel the HP per dollar spent is worth it.
    I agree, all those green backs for a very small gain doesn't appeal to alot of people. I can however understand it. If I were looking to make my 4th gen as fast as absulutely possible and do it on motor only, I'd have a FAST intake on there.
    Since 11's can be done on the cheap with an LS6 intake, I find I'd rather spend my cash on other things. Spending that much extra money on the intake and still being stuck in the 11's doesn't interest me.

Pewter
    '00 SS

So for all the people that are saying ls6 intake, what h/c setup are your running or do u recommend? Also, what are yalls tb for the ls6?
    Last edited by kenro23; 06-29-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I use a Shaner s3 throttle body on mine and have stage 2.5 5.3L heads and a 228R cam. Excellent street cam. I could daily drive my car easily.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

when i was running the ls6 intake, i had Patriot Stage Ls6 Stage II heads (59cc), and a Comp 224 .581 @112lsa single pattern. very DD friendly

Pewter
    '00 SS

Thanks for your input. As u can see, this forum is a part of my research. This will be a long process as many of u know already. Money just isn't flowing that heavily in my house. Haha. I truly appreciate all the help and keep the reply's coming. It's only gonna help me make my decision in the end.

For the last 2 people that wrote, what is your gas mileage, hp, 1/4 mile times, if u have all those. Crazy to ask gas mileage and1/4 molecule I know, but logical for a street car

98 Formula
    06 duramax

never check my gas mileage....would be kinda pointless really because I beat the piss out of the car. Never would get a decent reading. I run 11.80's but that's at a crappy track. If I ever get to the one out by dayton I'm sure I could get another tenth or two off that....it 60's a lot better.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Op, I'm like Orion and I don't even have near as much as him yet. I don't really track the gas mileage in this car because 1) it's not my DD, 2) these were never know for fuel economy, & 3) Also like Orion I drive the piss out of it for fun.

one more thing - did you get my email?

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    these were never know for fuel economy, & 3)
    I feel they really aren't bad on gas if driven properly. Most people will report high teens and low 20's around town, and mid to high 20's on the highway.

With a small cam in my wifes car, an LS6 intake, headers, and a tune, it's getting 23-24 mpg around town now, and gets 30 mpg on the highway.
    For the power these cars make I find the gas mileage respectable. At least as good as the econoboxes they are selling nowadays.

For the original poster, depending on how wild you go with your combo, there is no reason why you couldn't be in the 20's for MPG with a cam and heads package, which I feel is very respectable mileage for the power you will make.
    It depends on alot of different factors, but there are many out there doing it.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Well, I'm like the 2 above me. I didn't buy my SS for fuel economy.

It hasn't been my daily driver since 2006. I don't really rip on it, but traffic in the DFW area isn't ideal for max fuel saving potential. I just take it out when I can to let her breathe and to piss people off with how loud it is!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

All I know is that mix hwy/city I can only get about 275 miles on my small 14/15 gallon tank (it's a 98) Now I will admit I do get good hwy mileage when I go on trips to New Orleans in her.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    All I know is that mix hwy/city I can only get about 275 miles on my small 14/15 gallon tank (it's a 98) Now I will admit I do get good hwy mileage when I go on trips to New Orleans in her.
    That's not bad. Figure you don't run it down to fumes before you fillup, even if you pumped in 14 gallons that's 19.64 mpg at 275 miles.
    For a mixture of driving, and probably spirited driving at that, it's very respectable.

I've done a few gas mileage tuning tricks in the tune for part throttle driving, and it picked ours up a solid 3 mpg around town. She was getting 20 mpg around town, and now gets a low of 23, and as much as 24. I haven't had it on the highway since, so I'm expecting better than the 30 mpg we got before the tuning tricks. I can't complain, makes for a great daily driver that's doing as good on gas as any minivan out there.

Pewter
    '00 SS

SMS, yes I got your email. You really broke that stuff down very helpful. Thanks!

How are y'all getting that good of gas mileage? I'm only getting 200 miles on a tank. 220 if I baby it. Maybe that's because I'm living in Hawaii for now and it's a lot of up and down mountains. The guys that were talking about dfw area and driving to new Orleans, where are y'all from? I ask because I am from Louisiana originally but moved to Houston. In Hawaii now cause of the military. Out now but wife is finishing up her masters then back to Houston.

Alot of variables like driving styles, elevation, type of gas, and of course any changes made to the car.

I'm getting the mileage I listed living in Prescott, which is 5,000 feet up and very mountainous terrain. I run a very small torquey camshaft, and still have the stock 3.42's. Drive it easy, and it will easily chug around in 6th gear as low as 40 mph, though I don't do that often, I will however drive around town in 5th gear at 30 mph or so. I skip gears often to cut down shifting, getting into high gear as soon as possible helps mileage figures. The tune also helps, and I'm finicky about maintanance, tire pressures, etc....it all contributes to the mileage figures I'm getting.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I would recommend running our 54-444-11XE-R series cam which specs at
    > 224/230 @.050 581/588 114lsa. This would be a great mid-range and
    top-end
    > horsepower cam.
    > The cam would run $409.62
    >
    > I would also recommend running an RPM kit which includes the springs,
    > retainers, lifters, and pushrods. The kit runs $767.62
    >
    > The timing set #3158KT runs $173.81
    >
    > The heads I would recommend are the RHS #54301 205cc aluminum heads.
    > They run $579.99 each unassembled.
    >
    > I would also recommend the #146302 FAST 102mm intake manifold.
    > This runs $978.50
    > With the 102mm FAST billet throttle body which runs $509.85

This is what the guy from comp cams is trying to sell me. Opinions? Keep in mind I'm still learning

Pewter
    '00 SS

I don't drive it too crazy. Occasionally sure but not all the time. I also keep up with tire pressure and all that jazz. Actually I check it weekly. Wonder why I'm getting such trashy gas mileage then? It has been the same since I bought the car in 07. Only mods that I know of are; lid, bellows, headers, all the braces I need, catch can. Maybe others I'm missing but all small stuff.

Any opinion now?

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    I would recommend running our 54-444-11XE-R series cam which specs at
    > 224/230 @.050 581/588 114lsa. This would be a great mid-range and
    top-end
    > horsepower cam.
    > The cam would run $409.62
    >
    > I would also recommend running an RPM kit which includes the springs,
    > retainers, lifters, and pushrods. The kit runs $767.62
    >
    > The timing set #3158KT runs $173.81
    >
    > The heads I would recommend are the RHS #54301 205cc aluminum heads.
    > They run $579.99 each unassembled.
    >
    > I would also recommend the #146302 FAST 102mm intake manifold.
    > This runs $978.50
    > With the 102mm FAST billet throttle body which runs $509.85

This is what the guy from comp cams is trying to sell me. Opinions? Keep in mind I'm still learning
    That Comp grind (224/230) on a 114 lsa is a very popular choice. I've heard nothing but good things about that cam, both from tuners and from owners.
    RHS has been around forever and makes a decent head, prices arent' bad either. Heads are a difficult choice, because prices are all over the place. You'll have to base that on your budget.

All in all, that sounds like it would be a nice combo that would easily topple 400 rwhp, and put you well into the 11 second zone providing the rest of the car is setup to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    I don't drive it too crazy. Occasionally sure but not all the time. I also keep up with tire pressure and all that jazz. Actually I check it weekly. Wonder why I'm getting such trashy gas mileage then? It has been the same since I bought the car in 07. Only mods that I know of are; lid, bellows, headers, all the braces I need, catch can. Maybe others I'm missing but all small stuff.

Any opinion now?
    A good tune, fresh 02 sensors are also commonly overlooked. They generally are best replaced every 40-50,000 miles.
    I found the most pickup recently going with a speed density tune and ridding the car of the MAF, then tuning with the wideband to dial in AFR's at part throttle, and a few tuning tricks listed on HPtuners site that help with gas mileage at very light throttle cruising.

Pewter
    '00 SS

So with that setup from compcams, how would that work with ls6 intake or is that not even an option?

Well,,,the LS6 intake would work, and it would definately be an 11 second car with the right gear and such. The FAST intake however would pump up the power a little more.
    It's just a matter of whether you want to spend close to $2,000 for the FAST 102, the throttle body, (and the fuel rails and injectors that weren't mentioned) to gain roughly 20-25 HP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information