Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Keeping stock intake

This is a discussion on Keeping stock intake within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks. I was leaning towards the h/c first but after this thread, I think I'm gonna buy it and keep ...

Pewter
    '00 SS

Thanks. I was leaning towards the h/c first but after this thread, I think I'm gonna buy it and keep it at home with me till I get it all. Then do one install and one tune. With that said, it seems as though y'all recommend fast 102 a lot. I heard the one below that(90?) is the best to get for a street/strip h/c package

Pewter
    '00 SS

This may be a remedial question to some, but I've never seen an intake apart. What are the difference between stock, ls6, and fast? Obviously port size. What internally is different between them?

Also, with all the other write-ups I have had on this post, keep in mind I want to open my hood and it look as close to stock as possible. Yes I want a sleeper but a clean looking sleeper.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    Thanks. I was leaning towards the h/c first but after this thread, I think I'm gonna buy it and keep it at home with me till I get it all. Then do one install and one tune. With that said, it seems as though y'all recommend fast 102 a lot. I heard the one below that(90?) is the best to get for a street/strip h/c package
    Prior to the 102 coming out the 90 was the best you could get. Now that the 102 is out, combine it with their 102 Big Mouth TB you get some serious HP gains. But it also requires tuning, fuel injector upgrades, and most likely a fuel pump upgrade. This is why it is used by those who's cars are heavy track instead of occasional track and street (I guess what I mean to say is it's a little over kill for just a DD/street). Only in regards to the subject of intakes (with out N2O or other bolt ons), the gains from this intake (102) is about the highest you can get without going turbos or super charger.

IMHO for what you sound like you want to do a 90 would be perfect for you. Either way you go with it (meaning throw it on or wait and do a H/C/I at all the same time) you can get a noticeable increase in HP and response. If you're planning on doing a full on H/C/I wait like Orion said to put the intake on, that way you can get it tuned just once. In my case I did get a LS6 Intake because I knew I was a yr or 2 away doing a H/C. So I got the LS6 so I can have some fun till I'm ready to get a FAST to go with the H/C. I know I'll be able to sell it (LS6 Intake) when the time comes.

After taking with Orion and some others here a long while back when I was like you researching the hell out of what I wanted to do with my car I was like you. Build a mean engine first then see what ever next. I've learned then that yeah I could do that but I'd be asking/doing more work then needed and spend much more money in the long run if I didn't work on a solid foundation first then build the engine last. Suspension and rear. Power means nothing if it can be put to the tires.

This may be a remedial question to some, but I've never seen an intake apart. What are the difference between stock, ls6, and fast? Obviously port size. What internally is different between them?

Also, with all the other write-ups I have had on this post, keep in mind I want to open my hood and it look as close to stock as possible. Yes I want a sleeper but a clean looking sleeper.
    If you get a FAST you'll lose the sleeper look. The only way you can tell the difference between a LS1 vs LS6 intake is to look at the part number or bottom of the intake while it's off. If it has the EGR port most likely it's a LS1, but their are a couple of non EGR port LS1 intakes that look like LS6. So it would make it harder for another competitor to just look and know for sure.

No one says you have to lift your hood in order to run at the track. It's hard to look sleeper in a Camaro SS/Trans Am. Maybe a Firebird, but no in a Camaro SS/Trans Am. The Buttstang crowd has been looking at our tail lights for years so they know our cars potential very well.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 06-27-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Sleepers are cool, nothing more I like than to look stock and go fast. Walk softly and carry a big stick
    Like SMW said, as soon as you pop the hood the FAST intake is a dead giveaway that it's been tinkered with. The sleeper look is a totally different direction to take, and in my opinion it has to sound as stock as it looks too. More difficult and more expensive to pull off that hat trick.

For me the LS6 intake is all I need. There are plenty of very quick LS6 intake LSx engines out there, faster than I care to make our 4th gens go. So the cost of the FAST is just out of the question for us. Mild street/strip cars that may go 11's some day, the LS6 is more than enough.
    But like others have said, it's really up to you and what you want to do with the car. The FAST is superior to any other intake out there short of a custom made sheet metal/toilet bowl setup on a serious piece. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

you could always remove the FAST logo and paint it.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Smw, with your response to suspension and rear, what should I be looking into getting?

All others, thanks for all the help. Keep the posts coming. Y'all are a tremendous help

Navy Blue Metallic

sent a pm

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sleepers are cool, nothing more I like than to look stock and go fast. Walk softly and carry a big stick
    Like SMW said, as soon as you pop the hood the FAST intake is a dead giveaway that it's been tinkered with. The sleeper look is a totally different direction to take, and in my opinion it has to sound as stock as it looks too. More difficult and more expensive to pull off that hat trick.

For me the LS6 intake is all I need. There are plenty of very quick LS6 intake LSx engines out there, faster than I care to make our 4th gens go. So the cost of the FAST is just out of the question for us. Mild street/strip cars that may go 11's some day, the LS6 is more than enough.
    But like others have said, it's really up to you and what you want to do with the car. The FAST is superior to any other intake out there short of a custom made sheet metal/toilet bowl setup on a serious piece. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go.
    This is exactly what I was thinking when doing my car. The LS6 flows plenty for me per dollar spent. I just can't justify that extra grand for another couple tenths. I could spend that grand and spray it and gain a second. I run 11.80's with my LS6 intake which is fine with me.

Pewter
    '00 SS

No h/c setup Orion? Just ls6 intake?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

heads/cam with an LS6.....wished I ran 11.80's with just an intake

Pewter
    '00 SS

That's what I was sayin. Man that's crucial with just an intake. Haha

Pewter
    '00 SS

Another stab at you guys. Does the ls6 intake with a h/c setup work good for the price, or is it worth it to do the fast 90/90 with h/c?

Navy Blue Metallic

I believe the LS6 is a good intake with cam and heads for a street-able car. FAST will get you more but like everything we've been telling you, FAST are considered the top end of the intakes and do cost more. Like Orion said, at a certain point you're paying just to shave a few tenths of a second off for 1/4 mile times and not getting much more gains.

I'll give you another example:

85mm BBK TB cost - $370
    78mm P&P TB (Stock size) - varies between $70- $150

The differences of HP gains between the two - 1-2 hp difference. Both will give you gains but for a 2 HP difference I'll spend the $150 on other stuff. Now If I was building a high end show car, I'd most likely go with the BBK only because it looks better and has name recognition.

The LS6 is a good middle ground that works very well with cam/heads and other bolt ons but won't break you in the bank. FAST is definitely a worth while investment if you got the cash. I'm not trying to turn you off of either, just trying to help explain the differences between the two and cost, plus why some favor one over the other.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

I did H/C and the Ls6 intake, and with the small cam (comp 224) and Stage II 59cc heads, the Ls6 ended up being a HUGE choke point. I found a FAST 90/90, ported it and installed it. I gained 35rwhp/10rwtq. From 409/386 to 444/395. It's been well documented, and I have a thread about it as well.

I debated going the FAST 90/90 route from the get go, and decided to try the ls6. For my application, it was a joke and a major disappointment. Certainly not worth all the praise it gets, IMO. For me, the investment of the FAST 90/90 was justifiable.

I simply don't see justification for aquiring an Ls6 intake (300-350), and then anywhere from (100-400) for a TB or a P+P TB. By that time you are closing in on a FAST setup, so why not spend slightly more and do it right the 1st time!?

Pewter
    '00 SS

Agree on the do it right the first time. I emailed the guy from compcams I've been dealing with, and he just wrote back telling me they don't make the fast 90 anymore. Only 102 intake and 92 tb. Anyone wanna chime in on that?

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

yes, the 90 is no longer made (but that doesn't mean they aren't for sale).

only the 102 is in production.

Another stab at you guys. Does the ls6 intake with a h/c setup work good for the price, or is it worth it to do the fast 90/90 with h/c?
    How fast do you wanna go? 10's? 11's? It's all a matter of how much you want to spend to get there.
    If you are going to do a FAST setup, you may as well just go with the 102. They have been redesigned and improved upon, they will make even more power than a 90 or 92 setup. If you are going to spend the dough, may as well go all the way. But like Orion mentioned, you are looking at a couple tenths for over $1,000 easily. More like $1500+ by the time you figure in fuel rails, injectors, throttle body etc...
    Like I mentioned, not really worth it in my opinion unless you are going for an all out track car with a monster cam and an excellent set of heads.
    If you are looking for a simple 11 second car, go LS6 for $3-400 and call it done.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

with the FAST 90 you can use the stock fuel rails.

i cannot confirm if you can use the stock rails with the 102 or if you will need to run aftermarket.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    I did H/C and the Ls6 intake, and with the small cam (comp 224) and Stage II 59cc heads, the Ls6 ended up being a HUGE choke point. I found a FAST 90/90, ported it and installed it. I gained 35rwhp/10rwtq. From 409/386 to 444/395. It's been well documented, and I have a thread about it as well.

I debated going the FAST 90/90 route from the get go, and decided to try the ls6. For my application, it was a joke and a major disappointment. Certainly not worth all the praise it gets, IMO. For me, the investment of the FAST 90/90 was justifiable.

I simply don't see justification for aquiring an Ls6 intake (300-350), and then anywhere from (100-400) for a TB or a P+P TB. By that time you are closing in on a FAST setup, so why not spend slightly more and do it right the 1st time!?
    the point I was making is an LS6 intake is in the $325-$350 range where as a Fast set up is probably close to a grand more. That's $1000 you spend for ~3/10's. I could spend that grand on some spray and go a second faster easily. I'm not saying the fast isn't a good intake.....I just don't feel the HP per dollar spent is worth it.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

yes the price for a FAST setup is on the fringe, but you have people dropping $1500 for LT's that produce the same HP as a $300 pair. Or, they drop $2500+ for rims that add no performance increase at all. i realize you can't compare apples to oranges, but there is no real recipe for the most power gained for the least amount of money. i believe that is up to the purpose and goal of one's specific build and what they want and what sacrifices they wish to make.

having experienced both of these applications with my car, yes, i gained added power for the short time i ran the ls6 intake, but for the $900 or so i believe i dropped for the 90 combo, i gained an additional 35rwhp over the ls6 intake. i recouped $350 of that when i sold off the Ls6 intake, so $550 give or take for a 90/90 combo, i'll do it all day long!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information